Angleton at Crosby Scrimmage Thread

WOSgrad

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:01 AM, BHFAN said:

So this how Crosby fans are starting the season. I thought I read how horrible this new coach would be then one scrimmage and BAM! We now have the #1 defense in district plus a district championship if a QB can start. LOL you guys already drinking the new regime cool aid. Good luck coogs 

I still do think the coach is in over his head and expect to get killed by NC and Manvel. I feel like he can at least do as good a job as Westeberg does at BH considering the talent he fell into at Crosby and the fact that this district doesn't have any really good teams. Has absolutely nothing to do with the scrimmage, Crosby could've gotten killed and I would still feel the same way. That Kool-Aid comment is funny, y'all actually had to improve to get to sub-par under TW.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:41 PM, oldman said:

According to Chronicle, the Coogs lost 7 off the offensive side and 8 off the Defensive side.   Mighty strong predictions 

Similar numbers over the past decade and it's had no effect, especially as your enrollment increases and the talent pool expands. Prediction wouldn't seem strong at all if Howard doesn't tear his ACL in that mudhole.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:51 AM, GCMNation5 said:

Hope the Qb cleans up the 3 ints a game history.  If history repeats it self and he starts the New Caney game he will throw 2-3 INT's for 6..  

He definitely needs to improve but I saw him throwing darts in 7 on 7. It's hard to be effective when the rest of the team around him is low on talent and poorly coached like GCM was. GCM receivers couldn't get off coverage and when they did get open it was like watching an 8th grader run with the ball. I watched the PA Memorial film where it just looked like the kid was out there by himself. I don't expect this coach to rely on his passing skills, I expect that he's put into a position where he can maximize his running ability. His offense at Vet's looked a lot like what NC used to do with Jordan Cooper, lots of read option and quick high percentage passes.  

19 hours ago, Justafan72 said:

Last years # 24 Noel Wright transferred to C.E.King.Loss of Coker and Wright a big loss to the Cougars.

Man, you must not have seen Crosby play after Howard got hurt? Good luck to him in Chapel Hill, he looked good in their first scrimmage but I haven't seen anybody start a game at qb for Crosby that was that inept since 2003. His dad was a coach though, so . . . ? Crosby lost absolutely nothing with that transfer, losing Noel Wright is a different story. I expected him to go for around 1,500 this year but there's another back in the pipeline I like and I'm sure there's another young Sqwirl, Walter or Casey to pair with him. If the qb gets cleared he's going to probably rush for 1,000+ yards himself in Prieto's offense.  

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

He definitely needs to improve but I saw him throwing darts in 7 on 7. It's hard to be effective when the rest of the team around him is low on talent and poorly coached like GCM was. GCM receivers couldn't get off coverage and when they did get open it was like watching an 8th grader run with the ball. I watched the PA Memorial film where it just looked like the kid was out there by himself. I don't expect this coach to rely on his passing skills, I expect that he's put into a position where he can maximize his running ability. His offense at Vet's looked a lot like what NC used to do with Jordan Cooper, lots of read option and quick high percentage passes.  

Good Luck.. 

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I still do think the coach is in over his head and expect to get killed by NC and Manvel. I feel like he can at least do as good a job as Westeberg does at BH considering the talent he fell into at Crosby and the fact that this district doesn't have any really good teams. Has absolutely nothing to do with the scrimmage, Crosby could've gotten killed and I would still feel the same way. That Kool-Aid comment is funny, y'all actually had to improve to get to sub-par under TW.

Sub-par put a good ole butt whooping on that future district champion Coog team 😃.  A lot of schools are like Crosby with talent just dripping, but can’t put together a football team. All though this district is not the toughest I believe it will be enough to keep the Coogs from reaching the playoffs again this year. 

Crosby has a lot of athletes on Defense this year. Defense will look a lot better than past years. Best in the district will be determined AT THE END of district play. Not to bash anyone but the new QB will be a huge upgrade from last years starter. QB is super athletic and fast. Looks like Prieto is more apt to put talent on the defensive side of the ball a contrast to Rio who had 4 RB's one of which could've started at LB. And the other had the fastest time in 100m in the district. Never saw the sense in him carrying that many RB and only using 2

10 minutes ago, MrFleet23 said:

Crosby has a lot of athletes on Defense this year. Defense will look a lot better than past years. Best in the district will be determined AT THE END of district play. Not to bash anyone but the new QB will be a huge upgrade from last years starter. QB is super athletic and fast. Looks like Prieto is more apt to put talent on the defensive side of the ball a contrast to Rio who had 4 RB's one of which could've started at LB. And the other had the fastest time in 100m in the district. Never saw the sense in him carrying that many RB and only using 2

Everything about this is spot on. 

On 8/20/2019 at 6:19 PM, MrFleet23 said:

Truth!!

i know at least 2 backup WR’s receivers that should have played OLB/DB in the last 3 years.

it just always felt like a bend/don’t break defense the last 4 years.

43 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

Truth!!

i know at least 2 backup WR’s receivers that should have played OLB/DB in the last 3 years.

it just always felt like a bend/don’t break defense the last 4 years.

I really think this year will be different. Angleton wasn't vanilla on offense at all but they got very little out of that defense. 

On 8/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, coach bear said:

Good news, always love teams that lead with defense. A little different from previous Crosby teams. They’ll get tested early with New Caney, Manvel, and W O S. The kicker is just a sophomore I believe.

Soccer Coaches Son, |Kicker and a great kid from a great family. 

36 minutes ago, GCMNation5 said:

How did the Qbs look at Splendora?

One looked good, ran the ball twice, once for a long TD and the other time for about 17 yards.  The other QB got hurt early trying to scramble.  The offense overall looks to need time to work together, although I don’t know if the first team was ever on the field all at once. Something expected, having new coaches and all.  Hopefully they will put it together in the non-district games, although having New Caney, Manvel, and WOS to start the season will be rough.

6 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

Soccer Coaches Son, |Kicker and a great kid from a great family. 

Yes, Nathan Helburg was my j v soccer coach at Crosby . I was the def coordinator in the 90 s and started 

the soccer program under the desire of then Superintendent Don Hendrix. We began with varsity only and then added a jv 3 years later.Nathan , dad ,can also kick well . Once in 96-97 we had a fundraiser where fans bought chances to get selected to kick a 30 or 40 yard field goal for $10,000. If selected the fan could choose someone to kick for them . Midway through a chosen fan selected coach Helburg and he blasted it good. Fun times. Nathan is also a top AP government and eco teacher as well as one of the best soccer coaches in the region.