Nederland-Newton-Lumberton Scrimmage

PhatMack19

This was my take after seeing everything except Nederland/ Lumberton game conditions. 

And yes, scores are meaningless, not because it isn’t s real game but I think it is s practice to see where you might be okay and where you need work. 

During the controlled scrimmage, the best squad was the Newton offense. They seemed to move more consistently and in bigger chunks of yardage on average. 

The squad needing the most work was the Lumberton offense. I don’t know what formation they are running but it looks like a Vidor clone.... all stacked in close and I don’t think I ever saw any wide outs. They had some positive gains but not consistent and they could almost never pass protect from that formation. I don’t care what offense you run as long as you can do it but they really weren’t getting it done very often. 

In the controlled scrimmage the Nederland pass defense had some big holes open up. Lumberton hit a wide open receiver for about 25 yards underneath and Newton did the same for 40-45. It wasn’t the yardage but the missed coverage or scheme. Like Nederland got 35 yard pass on Lumberton but it was actually pretty good defense, the Nederland player just made a good catch. 

The rest of the controlled was a lot of give and take with the wet conditions hurting the ball handling. 

In the game conditions, the clear winner was the Nederland defense over Newton. To say bottled up would be an understatement. 

Good practice for all of the teams and they all had some positives but plenty to work on. The Lumberton player looked to suffer a possible season ending injury. He was on the field for about 15 minutes before they could move him. Hopefully it was just a lot of precaution, it is not as bad as it looked and maybe he can get back and finish his season. At least it didn’t look like a neck injury. 

1 minute ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So it's fair to say that Nederland is off to a 1-0 start and Lumberton and Newton are 0-1?

Grad, update the standings please per Mack.

Lol.  My take:  I agree with TVC that the pass D needs some work,  but that will come with the next scrimmage and non-district games.  The running game for Ned is stout, and the O line looked pretty good.  The passing game needs some work mainly on timing.   The run D was nasty for Ned they contained Newton and Lumberton.

13 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

This was my take after seeing everything except Nederland/ Lumberton game conditions. 

And yes, scores are meaningless, not because it isn’t s real game but I think it is s practice to see where you might be okay and where you need work. 

During the controlled scrimmage, the best squad was the Newton offense. They seemed to move more consistently and in bigger chunks of yardage on average. 

The squad needing the most work was the Lumberton offense. I don’t know what formation they are running but it looks like a Vidor clone.... all stacked in close and I don’t think I ever saw any wide outs. They had some positive gains but not consistent and they could almost never pass protect from that formation. I don’t care what offense you run as long as you can do it but they really weren’t getting it done very often. 

In the controlled scrimmage the Nederland pass defense had some big holes open up. Lumberton hit a wide open receiver for about 25 yards underneath and Newton did the same for 40-45. It wasn’t the yardage but the missed coverage or scheme. Like Nederland got 35 yard pass on Lumberton but it was actually pretty good defense, the Nederland player just made a good catch. 

The rest of the controlled was a lot of give and take with the wet conditions hurting the ball handling. 

In the game conditions, the clear winner was the Nederland defense over Newton. To say bottled up would be an understatement. 

Good practice for all of the teams and they all had some positives but plenty to work on. The Lumberton player looked to suffer a possible season ending injury. He was on the field for about 15 minutes before they could move him. Hopefully it was just a lot of precaution, it is not as bad as it looked and maybe he can get back and finish his season. At least it didn’t look like a neck injury. 

You’re correct we’re running slot t. First time against an opposing varsity defense so I wouldn’t expect much success at this point. I’m sure we’ll have plenty to work on now.

54 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Wow.  Someone else who knows the difference between scrimmages and regular season!

2 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

You’re correct we’re running slot t. First time against an opposing varsity defense so I wouldn’t expect much success at this point. I’m sure we’ll have plenty to work on now.

Might need some bigger O-lineman to run that offense ,  they looked small compared to Newton and Ned’s D line.

7 hours ago, bradyb said:

I heard the Ned QB McMorris looked real good! 

He and the receivers weren’t on the same page a couple of times, there were a couple of under/overthrows but overall pretty good.  They have at least a couple of new O-lineman so that was some of it.