Transfers in Texas High School Football becoming a trend and a concern

WOSgrad

Is it right? IMHO no, but putting restrictions in place that would hurt the eligibility of an honest transfer would not be right either. In my day if you transferred you sat out of varsity play for one year no if, ands or buts. Yet that wasn't right for the kids to suffer because the move was made because a better job was found or mom and dad split and the one with custody left town. This isn't a perfect world and there will always be somebody try to cheat the system. It is up to each individual to make the right decision, it always is(the clerk gives you back too much change, do you tell her or pocket the windfall.) Honesty is the best policy. A mans word used to mean something, now a days it's hard for a mans written word to mean anything. No system will ever be perfect as long as people try to cheat it.

1 hour ago, GCMNation5 said:

Back on topic. So when is it ok for a school to say no this kid isnt cleared to transfer. For the past 6-7 years GCM has just let the kids walk out the door and go start for other schools not less then 20 miles away. Most if not all were for athletic purposes. 

If they have evidence, it is always okay to that the transfer is due to athletic purposes.  Because here how the process works. 

1.  Before each season, each school fills out a "Team Sport Eligibility Form" which lists the name, date of birth, date of enrollment and the name and full address of the guardian of each player on a team.  The link to that form is listed below:

This is the hidden content, please

2.  For each student that has transferred from another school district, the current school district must file a form called the "Previous Athletic Participation Form" or "PAPF."  Part of this form in filled out by the parent, part of it by the school district that the player transferred from and part of it by the school district that the student transferred to.  The link to the current form is below:

This is the hidden content, please

You will note that the part that is fill out by the former school district (which requires two signatures, that of the super of the former school and either the principal or the coach of the former school) six questions are asked, with accompanying explanations requested if yes to any of these answers:

1.  Was there any conflict between the student, his/her parents and the athletic/academic supervisors at the school?

2.  Was the student recruited to attend another school of was any undue influence exerted upon this student to change schools?

3.  Did this student quit an athletic activity or program while enrolled in your school?

4. Was this student ever suspended or removed from your athletic program.

5. Would this student be prohibited from athletics had they not changed schools.

6. Based upon your knowledge of the student and their circumstances, is this student changing schools for athletic purposes.

3. A yes answer to any of the 6 questions question requires a hearing in front of the district executive committee, which is made up of schools in the new school's UIL district.  They decide yes or no at that hearing.  If the district clears him, he is eligible for athletic varsity play (if his residence meets muster). 

4.  If not, then he either plays sub-varsity for a year or appeals to the UIL State Executive committee which holds a hearing which is pretty much the same process in which they either affirm or overturn the district executive committee's ruling.  In fact, the state committee heard several such appeals today.

Any coach who has evidence can answer "yes" which will trigger a hearing.  It is just that very few do so, such as Coach Thompson or Coach John Snelson, current coach at Dickinson and former coach at Pasadena Memorial.  Of course, that answer doesn't always mean that the student will be declared ineligible by the DEC, such as was the case for Trey  Baldwin when he left WO-S.

1 hour ago, GCMNation5 said:

Back on topic. So when is it ok for a school to say no this kid isnt cleared to transfer. For the past 6-7 years GCM has just let the kids walk out the door and go start for other schools not less then 20 miles away. Most if not all were for athletic purposes. 

I reckon those schools that excepted those transfers will probably not face GCM in their preferred sport (s)?

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Earl Thomas III, for starters.  Everybody knows that he was a band man at LCM back in the day.  Anybody else wanna guess why he went down to the Cove?  (And he's a pretty good example of why transfers CAN turn out okay... I'll concede that point).

I can't remember why, but I was always under the impression that DT and Johnny Shaw were transfers, too.... But that could be entirely my imagination.  If I'm wrong, lemme know. 

Thanks!

DT was not.  Shaw I think was but left one year in.

Earl went to school in WO-C except for a couple of years at LC-M.

Now, for transfers out of the district (that I can recall)

Homer Rhodes (running back)- Left WO-S to go to LC-M

Shane Dronett (defensive lineman)- Played for UT in college and in the NFL - Left WO-C to go to BC

Howard Dobson (starting quarterback)- Left WO-S to go to BC

Trey Baldwin (two way starter on WO-S 2014) - left WO-S to attend Cy-Falls high school - currently at Louisiana Tech

Starrland Baldwin (cornerback)- left WO-S to attend Cy-Falls - currently at OU

Dillon Sterling-Cole (starting quarterback) - left WO-S to attend Spring Westfield - currently at Arizona State

Deonte Henson (cornerback) - went to school in WO-C, not sure about WO-S transferred to West Brook

Tyrone Wilson (starting quarterback) - moved out of the district from WO-S

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I really don't mean to interject..but...what?  When exactly was anything about race mentioned before you brought it up? I'm just trying to keep up. 

There is another topic that is now locked where he brought up race. And it has been an ongoing issue with him. I didn't start it. Believe me, I would finish it.

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

No drummer, we ain't doing that.  You may be accurate about CB's intentions, but we ain't making this racial, from either end of the spectrum.  If that is a way you wish to go, take it to the political forum.

My apologies to all who feel I was out of line. I've been biting my tongue over here for too long. Sorry again.

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

Shane Dronett (defensive lineman)- Played for UT in college and in the NFL - Left WO-C to go to BC

Trey Baldwin (two way starter on WO-S 2014) - left WO-S to attend Cy-Falls high school - currently at Louisiana Tech

Dillon Sterling-Cole (starting quarterback) - left WO-S to attend Spring Westfield - currently at Arizona State

Deonte Henson (cornerback) - went to school in WO-C, not sure about WO-S transferred to West Brook

What about that kid that ended up at Illinois? Chris something, I think he was at WOS, then Ozen, then back to WOS, I maybe wrong though. 

1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

There is another topic that is now locked where he brought up race. And it has been an ongoing issue with him. I didn't start it. Believe me, I would finish it.

You are either mistaken or a liar... I’m not sure which. Somebody else brought it up and I addressed it. That street runs both ways, my thin-skinned friend. 

And thin-skinned isn’t a racist dig, either, Missy. 

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Dang.... that’s quite a list. Nice work. 

4 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

That’s not including the ones that go to LCM cuz they won’t start at WOS and do nothing there either.

6 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I was always told Homer was LCM kid... interesting. Good running back and went off to play at the next level. He would have started at WOS

Guest ECBucFan

So, now, you should go on public record here, and state clearly:

No PA talent has been lost to the the Mid County schools over the last 10-15 years. Zero transfers from PA to MC.

Now is your chance to declare that, and set the record staight. Your opportunity awaits.     

6 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

I do remember a Nederland starter leaving to go to PAM. But not a PAM starter going to a MC school. 

Who was the third string QB at PAM that moved to Nederland and got them into trouble for playing him a couple years back?

38 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

So, now, you should go on public record here, and state clearly:

No PA talent has been lost to the the Mid County schools over the last 10-15 years. Zero transfers from PA to MC.

Now is your chance to declare that, and set the record staight. Your opportunity awaits.     

Dude just stop, you said top players. You obviously know nothing about our program. Just leave it alone.