Transfers in Texas High School Football becoming a trend and a concern

WOSgrad

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:42 PM, Alpha Wolf said:

Wrong, Rivers is a sophomore who is a starter at cornerback.  This kid I’m talking about is a good looking Senior who is #2 on the depth chart at running back...

Well I must add my two cents for what its worth. CR left Legacy in January because he wanted to get into the magnet program at BU. He is zoned for WB but they do not offer the Magnet program he's interested in. He also made All State at Legacy his freshman semester at WR and DB. looks like a great decision now that Legacy only have 12-14 players on their team. I can assure you he didn't transfer for athletic purposes. Parents have to do what's best for their kids and no one should question their actions unless it affects someone personally and not you kids playing time in sports. No one mentioned that he also participates in Gymnastics and student government as well. Just my opinion!!!

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

So what do you suggest?  Make every single kid in the state just sit out a year when they transfer?.. There are some actual legitimate transfers ya know.

You're right... there are actual legitimate transfers.  The funny thing is how few of them there are for the not-so-elite football players.  And they never transfer to worse programs.  

The problem is that it goes on everywhere and it guess it probably always will.  And it typically starts with parents who are so concerned with Lil' Johnny's NFL career that they end up creating a monster who can't fit in anywhere. If you consider Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell to be role models, you'll probably disagree with me.  The sad truth is that there are thousands upon thousands of kids whose parents ruined their kids' futures with their own self-serving behaviors.  

Kids whose parents transfer them around for whatever reason tend to believe that they are bigger than the team.... which is not a very good thing in a football, which is the most "team" sport that there is. 

I like the idea of the coach reporting whether or not he believes the transfer is legitimate.  I don't know of any instances where a coach has tried to submarine a kid who didn't want to play on that coach's team anymore.  Maybe y'all can point me at some instances.  I also like the idea of the coach's report being subject to the district's EC... but I can see problems where district foes would approve a transfer for an ineligible player just to see him off of that initial coach's roster. 

It's hard to have this conversation without ruffling feathers.  If you transfer to a high school that's ranked #1404 out of the 1415 high schools in Texas, your motives are suspect.  Especially when there are plenty of other school districts in walking distance with better academics, better housing, etc, etc.... That's the one thing that nobody talks about when they discuss the qb that transferred to Houston before the 15 season.  Was it for athletic purposes, or did he just want a decent education?  And where does it fall in the grand scheme of things?  I'm not singling my friends across town, out... I just used them as an example. We've seen it firsthand ourselves in BC.

My problem is with football parents who see no problem moving their "future star" just because the grass is a little bit greener someplace else.  How that is effectively controlled is beyond me.  

Just now, jag86 said:

Well I must add my two cents for what its worth. CR left Legacy in January because he wanted to get into the magnet program at BU. He is zoned for WB but they do not offer the Magnet program he's interested in. He also made All State at Legacy his freshman semester at WR and DB. looks like a great decision now that Legacy only have 12-14 players on their team. I can assure you he didn't transfer for athletic purposes. Parents have to do what's best for their kids and no one should question their actions unless it affects someone personally and not you kids playing time in sports. No one mentioned that he also participates in Gymnastics and student government as well. Just my opinion!!!

I've been told they are not giving out athletic scholarships this year...

1 minute ago, Alpha Wolf said:

I coached there for 2 years, girls basketball and football.  Whatever you want to call it, it must be dried up...

They may have called it that when you coached there but its against TAPPS rules to give out Scholarships period. You must have been there when they first started. LOL

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

You're right... there are actual legitimate transfers.  The funny thing is how few of them there are for the not-so-elite football players.  And they never transfer to worse programs.  

The problem is that it goes on everywhere and it guess it probably always will.  And it typically starts with parents who are so concerned with Lil' Johnny's NFL career that they end up creating a monster who can't fit in anywhere. If you consider Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell to be role models, you'll probably disagree with me.  The sad truth is that there are thousands upon thousands of kids whose parents ruined their kids' futures with their own self-serving behaviors.  

Kids whose parents transfer them around for whatever reason tend to believe that they are bigger than the team.... which is not a very good thing in a football, which is the most "team" sport that there is. 

I like the idea of the coach reporting whether or not he believes the transfer is legitimate.  I don't know of any instances where a coach has tried to submarine a kid who didn't want to play on that coach's team anymore.  Maybe y'all can point me at some instances.  I also like the idea of the coach's report being subject to the district's EC... but I can see problems where district foes would approve a transfer for an ineligible player just to see him off of that initial coach's roster. 

It's hard to have this conversation without ruffling feathers.  If you transfer to a high school that's ranked #1404 out of the 1415 high schools in Texas, your motives are suspect.  Especially when there are plenty of other school districts in walking distance with better academics, better housing, etc, etc.... That's the one thing that nobody talks about when they discuss the qb that transferred to Houston before the 15 season.  Was it for athletic purposes, or did he just want a decent education?  And where does it fall in the grand scheme of things?  I'm not singling my friends across town, out... I just used them as an example. We've seen it firsthand ourselves in BC.

My problem is with football parents who see no problem moving their "future star" just because the grass is a little bit greener someplace else.  How that is effectively controlled is beyond me.  

The system that is in place now is truly the best way to go about it.  If a kid transfers to another school district but changes their permanent residence to that of which is in the new school district, they sit 15 calendar days.  I think the address change should be proven (mail, bills, etc) and possibly investigated but still best policy.  If a student transfers but doesn't change permanent address they sit a calendar year.  Of course there are holes but that is undoubtedly the best policy.  Apartment complexes have opened the flood gates for bigger school transfers but it is what it is.  You can't stop a parent from moving.  

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's hard to have this conversation without ruffling feathers.  If you transfer to a high school that's ranked #1404 out of the 1415 high schools in Texas, your motives are suspect.  

For a racist,  you sure like to beat around the Bush. Grow a pair and don't hide your true colors... WHITE not cardinal red

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Well, since you did decide to single out that high school (who, by the way, finished just one grade below BC in the 2019 TEA Accountability Rankings), I guess you you can name the students that have transferred to that high school and played on their football team?

As to the student (who by the way, was not a quarterback) when his father states that he transferred "for increased exposure to colleges," and to a high school that was only one grade higher in TEA rankings, that pretty much convinces me that the move was for athletic purposes. It not only cost the district that student, but the student's younger brother, a cornerback, who is currently at OU.  The quarterback that you are alluding to transferred to Spring Westfield before the 2014 season due to his mother being hired by Spring ISD.  BTW, he went on to Arizona State.  None of these, as I recall, on an academic scholarship.

So, as you can see, the school that you didn't mean to single out was the poached, rather than the poacher and according to the TEA isn't doing as bad academically as you wish to have folks think.

Moral of the story, know what you are talking about before you open your mouth.

54 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, since you did decide to single out that high school (who, by the way, finished just one grade below BC in the 2019 TEA Accountability Rankings), I guess you you can name the students that have transferred to that high school and played on their football team?

As to the student (who by the way, was not a quarterback) when his father states that he transferred "for increased exposure to colleges," and to a high school that was only one grade higher in TEA rankings, that pretty much convinces me that the move was for athletic purposes. It not only cost the district that student, but the student's younger brother, a cornerback, who is currently at OU.  The quarterback that you are alluding to transferred to Spring Westfield before the 2014 season due to his mother being hired by Spring ISD.  BTW, he went on to Arizona State.  None of these, as I recall, on an academic scholarship.

So, as you can see, the school that you didn't mean to single out was the poached, rather than the poacher and according to the TEA isn't doing as bad academically as you wish to have folks think.

Moral of the story, know what you are talking about before you open your mouth.

No, sir...  You misunderstood.  I wasn't criticizing you guys.  But more trying to illustrate how a school (using WOS as an example) could be transferred into and out of for athletic reasons and defy scrutiny under the current ruleset based on different reasonings. 

I remember the qb that left for the 2015 season.  I'm not familiar with the other scenario.

It's happened at BC, too.  When Dubois came in 2015 you had kids (starting WRs) wanting to move to their other parent's houses in other districts that run the spread.  There was also a kid that just-so-happened to move to BC from HJ that season.  His family literally rented a house and moved back out immediately following graduation.  Kid never gelled with the squad... to the point of not riding the bus with the team, etc..... 

And you are mistaken.  You guys were #1404 out of 1415 last year.  No dispute there.   

This is the hidden content, please

1 minute ago, CardinalBacker said:

No, sir...  You misunderstood.  I wasn't criticizing you guys.  But more trying to illustrate how a school (using WOS as an example) could be transferred into and out of for athletic reasons and defy scrutiny under the current ruleset based on different reasonings. 

I remember the qb that left for the 2015 season.  I'm not familiar with the other scenario.

It's happened at BC, too.  When Dubois came in 2015 you had kids (starting WRs) wanting to move to their other parent's houses in other districts that run the spread.  There was also a kid that just-so-happened to move to BC from HJ that season.  His family literally rented a house and moved back out immediately following graduation.  Kid never gelled with the squad... to the point of not riding the bus with the team, etc..... 

And you are mistaken.  You guys were #1404 out of 1415 last year.  No dispute there.   

No, I think you are:

2 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

So you are going to hang on to an outdated ranking to hang on to your narrative.  Okay.

I'm not hanging onto anything.  Look at the ratings.

Your campuses scored:

61 ,61, 57, and 76 for all campuses.  With your economically disadvantaged bonus points they averaged you up to 78%.   And I'd be willing to bet that 76 from the HS is a bad number based on your past performance.

My guess is that your super is trying one last ditch effort (like Beaumont ISD... Remember Patricia Lambert?) to save his overpaid position. 

WOS came about in 1977 and it won't be around much longer.  Just another sad footnote in Texas High School History. 

11 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I'm not hanging onto anything.  Look at the ratings.

Your campuses scored:

61 ,61, 57, and 76 for all campuses.  With your economically disadvantaged bonus points they averaged you up to 78%.   And I'd be willing to bet that 76 from the HS is a bad number based on your past performance.

My guess is that your super is trying one last ditch effort (like Beaumont ISD... Remember Patricia Lambert?) to save his overpaid position. 

WOS came about in 1977 and it won't be around much longer.  Just another sad footnote in Texas High School History. 

Are we still talking about stuff that have to do with FOOTBALL or have we went full swing to academics?  There is a forum for topics like that..

2 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Are we still talking about stuff that have to do with FOOTBALL or have we went full swing to academics?  There is a forum for topics like that..

Same as always.... somebody says something about WOS that isn't "Oh, they're so AWESOME" and those clowns lose their minds. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. 

It's okay to say "WOS loses kids to athletic transfers" but you can't say "WOS has athletic transfers in."

14 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Same as always.... somebody says something about WOS that isn't "Oh, they're so AWESOME" and those clowns lose their minds. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. 

It's okay to say "WOS loses kids to athletic transfers" but you can't say "WOS has athletic transfers in."

You can have your opinion. Say whatever you want. But dont talk down on the kids because of race. I've been trying for months to it peaceful, out of respect for the site. No respect for a racist from the whitest city in Texas. Oh no wait, you dont rep BC either. Just another old angry white guy mad cuz you got trucked by WOS when u played?

20 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Well, I am still waiting for your answer as to students who have transferred to WO-S to play football and you have not yet answered that question.  You just wish to bang on WO-S' academic record which by whatever equation the TEA uses, ended up a C with Bridge City High ending up a B. That was not done by the WO-S super, it was from the state authority on academic standards.

People ain't losing their minds.  They just want you to justify your answer by showing transfers that have been made to WO-S, which you said was happening, then backtracked and said WO-S was "just an example" to back to its happening.

So, which one is it?

3 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

You can have your opinion. Say whatever you want. But dont talk down on the kids because of race. I've been trying for months to it peaceful, out of respect for the site. No respect for a racist from the whitest city in Texas. Oh no wait, you dont rep BC either. Just another old angry white guy mad cuz you got trucked by WOS when u played?

I really don't mean to interject..but...what?  When exactly was anything about race mentioned before you brought it up? I'm just trying to keep up. 

2 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

No drummer, we ain't doing that.  You may be accurate about CB's intentions, but we ain't making this racial, from either end of the spectrum.  If that is a way you wish to go, take it to the political forum.

23 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, I am still waiting for your answer as to students who have transferred to WO-S to play football and you have not yet answered that question.  You just wish to bang on WO-S' academic record which by whatever equation the TEA uses, ended up a C with Bridge City High ending up a B. That was not done by the WO-S super, it was from the state authority on academic standards.

People ain't losing their minds.  They just want you to justify your answer by showing transfers that have been made to WO-S, which you said was happening, then backtracked and said WO-S was "just an example" to back to its happening.

So, which one is it?

Earl Thomas III, for starters.  Everybody knows that he was a band man at LCM back in the day.  Anybody else wanna guess why he went down to the Cove?  (And he's a pretty good example of why transfers CAN turn out okay... I'll concede that point).

I can't remember why, but I was always under the impression that DT and Johnny Shaw were transfers, too.... But that could be entirely my imagination.  If I'm wrong, lemme know. 

Thanks!