Transfers in Texas High School Football becoming a trend and a concern

WOSgrad

4 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

No one is switching jerseys at halftime. That's ludicrous.

So where do you draw the line?  Let's say you have an LCM team start out slow and the your starting running back decides to transfer to BC right before our bye week.  After his 15 day break he misses one Cardinal game and comes back to put 250 yards on LCM later in the season.... still lives exactly where he did before.  Would you still think that any transfer was fair?

I guess it depends on whether you were that player's parent, huh?

At the end of the day, the only people that care for your child is the parent. If moving is best, so be it. Who gives a flip if everyone thinks I'm selfish. If it's gonna help my kid, then that's what's going to happen.

I go back to the job example, if you got a better job offer tomorrow ( more money, more vacation, better benefits, etc) are you sticking with the current job?  No, you're moving on. That's not being selfish, it's doing what's best for you and your family.

And after about 6 jobs in three years you'd be considered a bad candidate and no longer even be granted interviews because people who think like you tend to make bad employees and bad teammates and usually bad parents and spouses, too. 

It's called commitment, and it sounds like your daddy never explained it to you.  

9 hours ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Well make the decision before little Johnny hits high school, don't wait to see if he becomes something... 

Schools can go downhill or things can change that you don't like. Y'all lost Central and Ozen last year; that might have been enough for someone to give BISD dueces.

For what it's worth, I commute to Houston because my children wanted to finish up with their friends. If I was really concerned with athletic success, I would have just made them move to the Woodlands now, which is probably my next stop after graduation in 2021.

As it is I'm stuck watching a young team trying to avoid letting the losing streak run up into the 20s.

My next set of children will be going to school in Houston or Dallas.

1 minute ago, CardinalBacker said:

And after about 6 jobs in three years you'd be considered a bad candidate and no longer even be granted interviews because people who think like you tend to make bad employees and bad teammates and usually bad parents and spouses, too. 

It's called commitment, and it sounds like your daddy never explained it to you.  

Must be sad to not know what it feels like to be wanted.

In bigger cities with bigger companies, it's not unusual for people to switch jobs; You take the talent as long as you can get it. Companies can fire you if they don't like your haircut, for chrissakes. So if you can get more money take it. Why show loyalty to people who obviously don't have any to you?

Must be sad to not know what it feels like to be wanted.

In bigger cities with bigger companies, it's not unusual for people to switch jobs; You take the talent as long as you can get it. Companies can fire you if they don't like your haircut, for chrissakes. So if you can get more money take it. Why show loyalty to people who obviously don't have any to you?

Whatever you say, Lavar. 

10 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

So where do you draw the line?  Let's say you have an LCM team start out slow and the your starting running back decides to transfer to BC right before our bye week.  After his 15 day break he misses one Cardinal game and comes back to put 250 yards on LCM later in the season.... still lives exactly where he did before.  Would you still think that any transfer was fair?

That's dumb; if I still lived in North Orange and never moved, how can I enroll in Bridge City?

Besides, that's would be a serious step down. Even your greatest alum sent his children to LCM because he wanted what was best for his kids.

Guest ECBucFan
2 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

No one is switching jerseys at halftime. That's ludicrous.

Given the trajectory, its only a matter of time.  Heck, lets get the kids agents and make trades between high school teams. My RB just blew his ACL. Playoffs start in two weeks. Trade you my starting corner and two offensive linemen for your RB, a $1000 donation to your booster club, and a Sophmore DB to be named later. Deal?  

4 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

Given the trajectory, its only a matter of time.  Heck, lets get the kids agents and make trades between high school teams. My RB just blew his ACL. Playoffs start in two weeks. Trade you my starting corner and two offensive linemen for your RB, a $1000 donation to your booster club, and a Sophmore DB to be named later. Deal?  

That's absurd.

If the kid or parents don't want to be there let them go.  You'll be better off. WOS did alright. The Little Giants beat the Cowboys. 

6 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Not fathomable..... nobody in their right mind would transfer to Bridge City for football.   Maybe baseball or basket weaving , but definitely not football

7 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Two out of three in the NBA is not bad. The youngest one will make it.

If that's failure, sign me up.

Lol. Football is a team sport. It’s not about the individual. When kids believe (and it’s typically because their parents believe) that they are more important than the rest of the squad, you end up with a bunch of Tate Martells, John Franklin IIIs, etc. 

A kid that can’t commit to his high school football team will not commit to his college program, either.... if he even gets that shot. Same thing for the next level. A kid that can ball can do it anywhere. A kid who can’t will transfer, and transfer again and again every time they face adversity.He also won’t be able to commit to a job, a wife, his kids, or even his parents. It’s indisputable and can be proven with 100s of examples. 

Grayland Arnold played on some really bad Kountze teams and is now at Baylor. He’s also one of the few that didn’t break his commitment to the Bears when Briles got the axe. That’s a kid with character who will be successful at life. 

Guest ECBucFan

Take a look at Hamshire Fannett a few years ago. They lost numerous skill players who ended up starting and excelling for several area teams. You keep all those HF players at home and HF would have had a heckuva team that year.   

2 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

Take a look at Hamshire Fannett a few years ago. They lost numerous skill players who ended up starting and excelling for several area teams. You keep all those HF players at home and HF would have had a heckuva team that year.   

The systems worked and utilized those kids that transferred from HF. Nobody knows if HF would've lit up the scene. With the coaching situation at that time I doubt it. 

8 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Lol. Football is a team sport. It’s not about the individual. When kids believe (and it’s typically because their parents believe) that they are more important than the rest of the squad, you end up with a bunch of Tate Martells, John Franklin IIIs, etc. 

A kid that can’t commit to his high school football team will not commit to his college program, either.... if he even gets that shot. Same thing for the next level. A kid that can ball can do it anywhere. A kid who can’t will transfer, and transfer again and again every time they face adversity.He also won’t be able to commit to a job, a wife, his kids, or even his parents. It’s indisputable and can be proven with 100s of examples. 

Grayland Arnold played on some really bad Kountze teams and is now at Baylor. He’s also one of the few that didn’t break his commitment to the Bears when Briles got the axe. That’s a kid with character who will be successful at life. 

Life isn't a team sport. Sticking with your high school team has nothing to do with your character or whether you'll be successful in life. OJ didn't transfer high schools or college; how that work out?

Kids transferring is not a kid's decision; it's the parents. That vype article was full of crybaby coaches.

It was a shame they held up Malik Hornsby last year. You know why he moved? His mother was tired of worrying about him getting shot. His old neighborhood was that bad.

Coaches, coach the kids you got. If they're there, they are committed. If a kid transfers to your school, he's committed. Quit messing with parents raising their children. You don't let anyone raise yours.

Guest ECBucFan
5 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

The systems worked and utilized those kids that transferred from HF. Nobody knows if HF would've lit up the scene. With the coaching situation at that time I doubt it. 

And PA people whine here night and day about top PAM players ending up in Mid County. So you supporting Ned & PN-G now, right? 

On 8/16/2019 at 7:24 AM, CardinalBacker said:

Are you okay with mid-season transfers? What about mid-game? You cool with switching jerseys at halftime if it benefits your career?

I think it’s strange when someone makes a facetious post like yours, and some respond as if you were serious.   It’s a freaking head scratcher for sure 😂😂😂

11 hours ago, nativetransplant said:

The transfer from Legacy was Korien Burrell and he was All-State for TAPPS 3A.  Per MaxPreps 1,300+ yards last season.

Thanks for the info.  I don't know if he is going to get 1,300 yards this year with James Wilson back there but it seems like he will be an great addition to an offense that's already looking better than last years at this point.  Just another toy in AB (offensive coordinator) toy box...