Transfers in Texas High School Football becoming a trend and a concern

WOSgrad

Younger generation is good with the transferring and all the bs.  I personally hate it. I get moving for jobs and personal reason blah blah. But in my worthless opinion it is ruining the integrity of football from PeeWee up.  I know my view will be the unpopular view but its how I see it.

When parents need to move for the good of their family, I understand. But shopping kids around like a commodity is horrible. WOS had a highly recruited transfer leave and that led to 4 straight state appearances without him. I say if they want to go let em.

Better to have a team full of players that want to be there. Than have a team full of parents who are mad about them being stuck there

I've mentioned this story once before, something I saw.  There was this black teen about 18 years, being accompanied by this older white lady.  She looked and dressed like a professional of some sort.  I work in a driver license office.  She told me she was.a principal at a high school in the cy fair isd area and the guy was a football player for the school. She was helping him get an ID card so that he could go to a University in the SE,  I think it was Missouri.  

I guess the kid was a good football player.  He & I got to talking and I mentioned I was from Silsbee.  That caught his interest because he told me he was really from Orange and that a season or so before he played for WOS.   I asked him how he got from WOS to a school out in the Cypress area.  He said he moved to the Houston area to live with his dad.   Maybe that was true.  More than likely he was recruited and transferred to play football for some high school in the cypress area.  

This indicates they can pipeline a student athlete from the small schools to anywhere they want him or her to go, all the way to a university.  I wasn't totally surprised by this.  I kind of figured it was happening all along.

As far as the whole transfering deal, it's so many variables and moving parts to this issue,  i can type a book going over different scenarios , instances and situations.  I'd say for the most part, the UIL, District Committee,  and the schools do a pretty good job in MOST instances.  There are some transfers for athletics inky that slip through the cracks, but it sh ou uld be pretty easy to see the high profile athletes making moves to bigger or more popular high schools...

3 hours ago, Kountzer said:

I've mentioned this story once before, something I saw.  There was this black teen about 18 years, being accompanied by this older white lady.  She looked and dressed like a professional of some sort.  I work in a driver license office.  She told me she was.a principal at a high school in the cy fair isd area and the guy was a football player for the school. She was helping him get an ID card so that he could go to a University in the SE,  I think it was Missouri.  

I guess the kid was a good football player.  He & I got to talking and I mentioned I was from Silsbee.  That caught his interest because he told me he was really from Orange and that a season or so before he played for WOS.   I asked him how he got from WOS to a school out in the Cypress area.  He said he moved to the Houston area to live with his dad.   Maybe that was true.  More than likely he was recruited and transferred to play football for some high school in the cypress area.  

This indicates they can pipeline a student athlete from the small schools to anywhere they want him or her to go, all the way to a university.  I wasn't totally surprised by this.  I kind of figured it was happening all along.

Good memory you have. I can confirm you're story. Except I believe he went to live with his mom. Only because I worked with his dad.

@Alpha Wolf may have a point, because he didn't stay at Missouri too long.

I don't think it was his choice to leave all his friends and teammates from WOS. Especially after we had just went to state. But sometimes things happen and you have to move. I'm sure they met with most of the coaches of the major Houston schools. And decided where to move to based on what schools could offer.

6 hours ago, Kountzer said:

I, too, remember the young man in question.  He was a key player in WO-S' trek to the state championship game in 2014 and transferred to the school in the Cy-Fair ISD for his senior year.

I also recall that Coach Thompson indicated on the young man's PAPF form that he was moving for athletic reasons based upon conversations with the young man's father that the move was to "increase college exposure."  I also recall that Coach Thompson was heavily castigated on social media (including a lengthy thread here) for doing so as he was accused of only doing so because he was "bitter" and "jealous" and "wanted to punish the young man" for deciding to transfer from WO-S.

The UIL does have in place rules to stem the tide.  However, those rules only take effect when coaches from these schools that are being poached do indicate like Coach Thompson did and DEC's give them the weight that the UIL says they should.  However, coaches see how folks like Coach Thompson were treated and figure it is not worth the trouble that they will bring for themselves (dragged through mud on social media, travel to Austin to testify in the kid's appeal, etc) OR they have the mentality of "If you really don't want to be here, I really don't want you here" and rubber stamp the PAPF form even if there is evidence of a move for athletic purposes.

Absent either tougher adherence to those rules in place or the UIL coming down with an across the board one year ban for varsity play.....which probably everybody here would agree is too draconian of a measure to put in place...this trend will only increase in frequency.

How did the young man's senior year turn out?  It seems like quite of few of these transfers aren't the magic bullet that the parents hope for.

There are so many moving parts (coaches, curriculums, travel) that, in my opinion, purely athletic transfers are such a crap shoot.

34 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

How did the young man's senior year turn out?  It seems like quite of few of these transfers aren't the magic bullet that the parents hope for.

There are so many moving parts (coaches, curriculums, travel) that, in my opinion, purely athletic transfers are such a crap shoot.

Oh, he did well.  If I am not mistaken, he was defensive player of the year in his new district.  He did go on to play for Mizzou, but as Alpha Wolf indicates usually happens, he transferred after his freshman year to juco.  He did hook on with La Tech last year where he redshirted last year after 4 games and will be there for his junior year this year.  I wish him well, as I did when I heard of his transfer from WO-S to the new school, as he is a heck of an athlete and a real good kid.

Parents should be able to do what they think is best for their kids, including moving for sports. Granted making to collegiate athletics, let alone the pros, is extremely unlikely, but if that's the route they're taking so be it.

No one can make you stay at a job you don't like. Some schools are better than others. If a kid wants to go, it's really no one's business except that family. As long as they meet the enrollment requirements of the new school, there should be no problem.

People pick the school before they buy the house all the time. 

16 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Parents should be able to do what they think is best for their kids, including moving for sports. Granted making to collegiate athletics, let alone the pros, is extremely unlikely, but if that's the route they're taking so be it.

No one can make you stay at a job you don't like. Some schools are better than others. If a kid wants to go, it's really no one's business except that family. As long as they meet the enrollment requirements of the new school, there should be no problem.

Well make the decision before little Johnny hits high school, don't wait to see if he becomes something... 

16 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Are you okay with mid-season transfers? What about mid-game? You cool with switching jerseys at halftime if it benefits your career?

Guest ECBucFan
17 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Perfect example of the "me" culture we live in. Yeah 97, just FORGET things like teamwork and playing by the rules. Feel free to let your athlete "take his talents" to the local that builds his NFL career the best. Its all about you!

6 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Are you okay with mid-season transfers? What about mid-game? You cool with switching jerseys at halftime if it benefits your career?

I'm pretty sure there's a rule to prevent such a silly notion.  Something about having to sit out of varsity athletics for 15 days if you move into a school district to which you are transferring to.  And sitting once calendar year if you do not move into the school district.

Come on now.. Nobody can control when a kid moves their permanent address.  

5 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

Perfect example of the "me" culture we live in. Yeah 97, just FORGET things like teamwork and playing by the rules. Feel free to let your athlete "take his talents" to the local that builds his NFL career the best. Its all about you!

Ummm... pretty sure I remember some recent stories about some kids transferring to EC after beginning high school somewhere else.  

34 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm pretty sure there's a rule to prevent such a silly notion.  Something about having to sit out of varsity athletics for 15 days if you move into a school district to which you are transferring to.  And sitting once calendar year if you do not move into the school district.

Come on now.. Nobody can control when a kid moves their permanent address.  

Correct. But we can control whether or not they suit up to play for a new team. 

As it should be. 

8 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

At the end of the day, the only people that care for your child is the parent. If moving is best, so be it. Who gives a flip if everyone thinks I'm selfish. If it's gonna help my kid, then that's what's going to happen.

I go back to the job example, if you got a better job offer tomorrow ( more money, more vacation, better benefits, etc) are you sticking with the current job?  No, you're moving on. That's not being selfish, it's doing what's best for you and your family.