Preseason rankings

AggiesAreWe

Our SETXsports preseason rankings will be coming out soon. We have 10 voters which I am one of.  We do 3 top 10 polls (6A-5A, 4A-3A, 2A-Private). I am posting my personal preseason rankings. Let me know what you guys think and maybe give your top 10's.

Here are my rankings:

6A-5A

1. North Shore

2. West Brook

3. A&M Consol

4. Huntsville

5. PAM

6. New Caney

7. Nederland

8. PN-G

9. Lamar Consol

10. Barbers Hill

4A-3A

1. Jasper

2. Newton

3. Silsbee

4. WO-S

5. Franklin

6. East Chambers

7. Woodville

8. Diboll

9. Splendora

10. Corrigan-Camden

2A-Private

1. San Augustine

2. Grapeland

3. Lovelady

4. Groveton

5. Oakwood

6. Evadale

7. Shelbyville

8. West Sabine

9. Legacy

10. Kelly

These are the schools eligible for our rankings:

6A/5A

All of 21-6A: Baytown Sterling, Beaumont United, Beaumont West Brook, Channelview, Deer Park, Galena Park North Shore, La Porte, Sheldon C.E. King

All of 9-5A-I: Galena Park, Goose Creek Memorial, Houston Austin, Houston Wisdom, Kingwood Park, New Caney, Port Arthur Memorial, Porter

All of 10-5A-II: A&M Consolidated, Bryan Rudder, Cleveland, Huntsville, Katy Paetow, Lamar Consolidated, Montgomery, Montgomery Lake Creek

All of 12-5A-II: Barbers Hill, Baytown Lee, Crosby, Dayton, Nederland, Port Neches-Groves, Santa Fe, Vidor

4A/3A

All of 11-4A-I: Bridge City, Huffman Hargrave, Little Cypress-Mauriceville, Livingston, Lumberton, Splendora

All of 9-4A-II: Center, Huntington, Jasper, Shepherd, Tarkington

All of 10-4A-II: Hamshire-Fannett, Hardin-Jefferson, Liberty, Silsbee, West Orange-Stark

All of 11-3A-I: Coldspring-Oakhurst, Crockett, Diboll, Elkhart, Franklin, Palestine Westwood, Trinity

All of 12-3A-I: Anahuac, Buna, East Chambers, Hardin, Kirbyville, Kountze, Orangefield, Warren

All of 12-3A-II: Anderson-Shiro, Corrigan-Camden, Hemphill, Kountze, New Waverly, Newton

2A-Private:

All of 12-2A-I: Deweyville, Groveton, Hull-Daisetta, San Augustine, Shelbyville, West Sabine

All of 12-2A-II: Burkeville, Colmesneil, Evadale, Grapeland, Lovelady, West Hardin

All of 12-1A-I: Fruitvale, Gilmer Union Hill, High Island, Leverett's Chapel

All of 13-1A-II: Apple Springs, Chester, Oakwood, Trinidad

UIL Independent: Sabine Pass

Private Schools: Beaumont Legacy Christian, Beaumont Kelly Catholic, Baytown Christian, Orange Community Christian

Here is mine:

6A/5A

1.    Galena Park North Shore

2.    Beaumont West Brook

3.    Port Arthur Memorial

4.    Huntsville

5.    Port Neches-Groves

6.    A&M Consolidated

7.    Nederland

8.    New Caney

9.    Barbers Hill

10.  Sheldon C.E. King

4A/3A

1.    Jasper

2.    Silsbee

3.    Newton

4.    West Orange-Stark

5.    Franklin

6.    Splendora

7.    East Chambers

8.    Woodville

9.    Center

10.  Diboll

2A-Private

1.   San Augustine

2.   Grapeland

3.   Groveton

4.   Lovelady

5.   Oakwood

6.   Evadale

7.   West Sabine

8.   Gilmer Union Hill

9.   Beaumont Legacy Christian

10. Beaumont Kelly Catholic

It might be time to break the rankings down a little further.  If not into D1 and D2, at least into "A" classifications. Maybe instead of a top ten, do a top five per "A" classification.

It seems like your rankings for the smaller schools are based more on "team accomplishments" and the bigger schools get ranked more in line with "who would win in a heads-up-match."

I can't really argue with your opinions, though... Good list.

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

It might be time to break the rankings down a little further.  If not into D1 and D2, at least into "A" classifications. Maybe instead of a top ten, do a top five per "A" classification.

It seems like your rankings for the smaller schools are based more on "team accomplishments" and the bigger schools get ranked more in line with "who would win in a heads-up-match."

I can't really argue with your opinions, though... Good list.

Actually, if we had our preference, we would break it down further.  However, doing so would cause a bit of the problems simply because the number of the teams that we cover.

Take, for example, Class 6A.  We have in our coverage area only one 8 team district that we cover in that class.  Even with a top 5, we would have a team in our rankings that would guaranteed not to be in the playoffs.  To me, if you are not eligible for the playoffs, you should not garner mention in any ranking.  That would be an even bigger problem if we went to DI and DII. 

5 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Actually, if we had our preference, we would break it down further.  However, doing so would cause a bit of the problems simply because the number of the teams that we cover.

Take, for example, Class 6A.  We have in our coverage area only one 8 team district that we cover in that class.  Even with a top 5, we would have a team in our rankings that would guaranteed not to be in the playoffs.  To me, if you are not eligible for the playoffs, you should not garner mention in any ranking.  That would be an even bigger problem if we went to DI and DII. 

I get what you’re saying. It just seems kinda unrealistic in current form. Maybe just split the bottom classifications where there are enough teams to make decent comparisons. 

There are years where bigger schools end up ranked behind teams that they’ve actually beaten on the field that year.  

Say you have a 4A team that finishes up 7-4 but ranked in 7th place... no biggie, but you can end up ranked behind teams that you spanked earlier in the year AND your losses were to bigger, tougher schools than the smaller schools ever faced. It happens. Or it used to happen, lol. 

These watered-down rankings are meaningless. 

There are 10+ classifications but we’re breaking our rankings down into just 3 groups. You guys do a lot of work to end up with a BS result. I think you guys could do a bit more work and end up with some reportable results. 

Just my opinion. Keep up the good work. 

I'm Done with the Abacus... (Drum Roll)

6A - 5A

1.     North Shore

2.     A&M Consolidated

3.     Huntsville

4.     West Brook

5.     New Caney

6.     Port Arthur Memorial

7.     Nederland

8.     Lamar Consolidated

9.     Port-Neches Groves

10.   Barbers Hill

4A - 3A

1.     Jasper

2.     Newton

3.     Silsbee

4.     WO-S

5.     Franklin

6.     East Chambers

7.     Diboll

8.     Splendora

9.     Corrigan-Camden

10.  Woodville

2A - Private

1.     San Augustine

2.     Grapeland

3.     Lovelady

4.     Evadale

5.     Groveton

6.     Oakwood

7.     Shelbyville

8.     West Sabine

9.     Legacy

10.  Kelly

11.  Baytown Christian

I've been invited to the party this year! Here's my stab at it.

6A-5A
1. North Shore
2. West Brook
3. Port Arthur Memorial
4. Huntsville
5. A&M Consolidated
6. Port Neches-Groves
7. New Caney
8. Nederland
9. Lamar Consolidated
10. Barbers Hill

4A-3A
1. Newton
2. West Orange-Stark
3. Silsbee
4. Jasper
5. Franklin
6. East Chambers
7. Splendora
8. Woodville
9. Diboll
10. Corrigan-Camden

2A-Private
1. San Augustine
2. Grapeland
3. Lovelady
4. Evadale
5. Groveton
6. Oakwood
7. West Sabine
8. Kelly
9. Gilmer Union Hill
10. Baytown Christian

On 8/6/2019 at 4:51 PM, AshlyKBMT said:

I've been invited to the party this year! Here's my stab at it.

6A-5A
1. North Shore
2. West Brook
3. Port Arthur Memorial
4. Huntsville
5. A&M Consolidated
6. Port Neches-Groves
7. New Caney
8. Nederland
9. Lamar Consolidated
10. Barbers Hill

4A-3A
1. Newton
2. West Orange-Stark
3. Silsbee
4. Jasper
5. Franklin
6. East Chambers
7. Splendora
8. Woodville
9. Diboll
10. Corrigan-Camden

2A-Private
1. San Augustine
2. Grapeland
3. Lovelady
4. Evadale
5. Groveton
6. Oakwood
7. West Sabine
8. Kelly
9. Gilmer Union Hill
10. Baytown Christian

I don't have a problem with Jasper at #4 at all. They won't have a chance to prove otherwise until the West Orange game and if they win that one in Orange, they'll be deserving of the top spot. The schedule is pretty weak prior to that. 

2 hours ago, JasperDAWG said:

I wish that we could get a lamarque team similar to the ones that were so feared at one point. Talk about a good gauge it would be. Sadly though I don't think we will. Last year when I saw them on schedule I got excited. Then was disappointed when I found out they were at a really low point for their program and the game wasn't really competitive. 

Texas City, Dickinson and League City getting their talent I believe.