2019 BURKEVILLE MUSTANGS

This is the hidden content, please

2019 FOOTBALL TEAM PREVIEWS

BURKEVILLE MUSTANGS

2018 Record: 1-8 Overall, 0-5 District

6th Place in 12-2A-II

The last couple of years have been rough for the storied Burkeville Mustang football program.  To make things right, the Mustangs will look to Newton alum Eric Williams as he takes over the Burkeville program.  He has gotten the boys in Burkeville to have pride in their program.....a pride that the Mustangs, with eight returning starters on offense and nine returning starters on defense, intend to show the rest of Southeast Texas.

Head Coach: Eric Williams

Assistant Coaches: Mark Crorey (Backs and Receivers/Passing coordinator), Terrell Cuney (Offensive Line/Run Coordinator)

Offense:

Eight starters return to the Burkeville offense in 2019.  Freshman quarterback Jacob Wood will take over control of the Mustang attack.  Senior running back John Martin will key the Burkeville rushing attack with freshmen Liam Anderson and Lucas Wood also getting carries.  Senior wide receiver Daniel Lowe (1st team all-district in 2018) will team with sophomore Nathaniel Albright to spearhead the receiver corp along with sophomore Austin Scott.  A veteran offensive line returns as seniors Kaleb Urie (2nd team all-district) and Devon Lakey, along with junior limemen Shakori Fords and Ulysses Hall and sophomore center William Urie all come back.  Freshman Donald Miller will also see time on the offensive line.

Defense:

Nine starters return to the Mustang 4-2-5 defense in 2019.  Urie, Lakey, Fords and Hall all return to the front line where they will be joined by junior defensive ends Scott, Ray McBride and Andrew Edwards.  Miller and Lucas Wood will line up at linebacker. Urie (weak safety), Albright (strong safety), Lowe (cornerback) and Martin (cornerback) all return to man the Mustang secondary along with Jacob Wood and Liam Anderson.

Special Teams:

Special teams positions will be finalized during fall practice.

Schedule:

Aug. 30 - Hull-Daisetta, 7:30 pm

Sept. 5 - at San Augustine JV, 7:30 pm

Sept. 13 - Cushing, 7:30 pm

Sept. 20 - Mt. Enterprise, 7:30 pm

Sept. 27 - Lovelady, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 4 - at Grapeland, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 11 - West Hardin ,7:00 pm*

Oct. 18 - OPEN

Oct. 25 - Evadale, 7:00 pm* 

Nov. 1 - OPEN

Nov. 8 - at Colmesneil, 7:00 pm*

Nov. 15 - OPEN

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I wish Burkeville (along with Sabine Pass) was 6-man. 

A lot do, but I'll wait and see what Coach Williams does there.  He seems to be one of the first coaches since Coach Harper who is actually excited about being there.  But if the numbers don't improve, I agree, 6man will be the only way that football will be effectively played at Burkeville.

At Sabine Pass, the problem is that, currently, they have too large of an enrollment to be able to opt for 6man football.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:07 PM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I wish Burkeville (along with Sabine Pass) was 6-man. 

Coach William's will get the ones that they do have out of the hallway and on the field.  Been around him for about the last 5 years at Central and United and I'm pulling for him and his team.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Aprininteen
    Newest Member
    Aprininteen