Will Silsbee have a chance at state next year?

7 hours ago, ST413 said:

Thats a little hard to believe..

Agreed.  I’ve seen all three, the two from last season more than the transfer (although the transfer is certainly good).  The only one I would say is clearly better is the Jones kid.  I favor Bush over the other returner and haven’t seen enough of the transfer to say one way or the other.  And at the HS level, Bush is obviously capable of outplaying any one of them on a given night.  

The real killer is that depth for silsbee.  You’re talking 3 guards “ranked” in the top 10 of the greater Houston area.  Along with two really big, talented big men.  And a ton of depth beyond that.  Yates may end up being the best team in the Houston area.  And that’s including some schools who will be among the better teams in the state at the two higher classifications.  

WOW!  Like I said in an earlier post, I wasn't sure if we could beat Yates before the 2 move ins because of the 2 returning guards that dominated the game against us last year.  Those 2 guards are special!  Now you add 2 move ins that this thread says they can play.  WOW!  Someone at the job told me that Yates will play Morton Ranch in the season opener.   That should be a good game, but Yates probably won't lose many games at all.  😐

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Agreed.  I’ve seen all three, the two from last season more than the transfer (although the transfer is certainly good).  The only one I would say is clearly better is the Jones kid.  I favor Bush over the other returner and haven’t seen enough of the transfer to say one way or the other.  And at the HS level, Bush is obviously capable of outplaying any one of them on a given night.  

The real killer is that depth for silsbee.  You’re talking 3 guards “ranked” in the top 10 of the greater Houston area.  Along with two really big, talented big men.  And a ton of depth beyond that.  Yates may end up being the best team in the Houston area.  And that’s including some schools who will be among the better teams in the state at the two higher classifications.  

Don’t disagree with that.  Not very often a small town school can end up with depth like that or like we had a few years ago. 

21 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Seems to me that this many players moving simultaneously ought to be looked at for something more than academic opportunity.  Is it my imagination or are these types of situations becoming too frequent?  Doing nothing about it would seemingly encourage more of it to take place throughout the system.

Yates admin probably just communicates the situation better than other schools. 

3 hours ago, stevenash said:

Seems to me that this many players moving simultaneously ought to be looked at for something more than academic opportunity.  Is it my imagination or are these types of situations becoming too frequent?  Doing nothing about it would seemingly encourage more of it to take place throughout the system.

We get a transfer in this area and battle lines are drawn.  In Dallas, this has been going on for a while.  Houston may be deciding to go the “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” route because they have done a pretty poor job of beating them.  In the end, these decisions are left up to each individual district and UiL doesn’t get involved unless some type of appeal or waiver is filed. 

True.  Dallas has been moving kids in from all over the state through AAU basketball.  Boys and girls.  Dallas has also formed Prep School super teams lately who dominate the lower levels at state.  I was looking at the football game last night involving North Shore vs. Katy.  Was I the only person who noticed so many kids on both team with  D-1 scholarship offers?  Does that happen by accident?  Doubt it!  I am sure you also noticed that the running back for Katy that dominated the game moved to Katy from a high school in South Carolina?  

44 minutes ago, 409ANALYST said:

True.  Dallas has been moving kids in from all over the state through AAU basketball.  Boys and girls.  Dallas has also formed Prep School super teams lately who dominate the lower levels at state.  I was looking at the football game last night involving North Shore vs. Katy.  Was I the only person who noticed so many kids on both team with  D-1 scholarship offers?  Does that happen by accident?  Doubt it!  I am sure you also noticed that the running back for Katy that dominated the game moved to Katy from a high school in South Carolina?  

I noticed that too.   And Allen has long been a “transfer Mecca” for football.   And if we’re honest, they are only picking up where the Odessa Permian teams of the 80s and 90s left off.  Sure those teams were tough, but if you think all that talent was homegrown among the tumbleweed...  During the hay day of Big Oil, many a lucrative job existed in West Texas for parents of talented gridiron stars.  

And all of that makes the recent titles for Silsbee and Memorial even more an accomplishment.   Because as someone said earlier, each might occasionally get a transfer, but nothing compared to the “big city” schools they compete with deep in the playoffs.  

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

We get a transfer in this area and battle lines are drawn.  In Dallas, this has been going on for a while.  Houston may be deciding to go the “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” route because they have done a pretty poor job of beating them.  In the end, these decisions are left up to each individual district and UiL doesn’t get involved unless some type of appeal or waiver is filed. 

So can someone outside their district make an appeal?

On 8/29/2019 at 11:10 PM, ST413 said:

Thats a little hard to believe..

I must agree with Hicks on this one, Rubin Jones 6-4, Gerald Doakes 6-3 & Antwon Norman 6-0 can shot from long range, rebound and finish at the basket with ridiculous dunks. It’s going to be a Very Fun Season at Yates. I have be told by someone close to the team that the T’s have been crossed and the I’s dotted  for this season.

Will be interesting to see how Yates plays against Morton Ranch early in the season.  Ranch will have the best guard and big on the floor and decent depth.  Yates should be the #1 4A team in the state regardless. Family Faith lost a lot but I am sure is reloading.  And whoever comes out of the DFW region is always going to be tough as nails regardless.  But like I said, this has the potential to be one of the best teams Yates has had since the “glory days” of Lion basketball.  

18 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

If there's any glimmer of hope it's this: Silsbee should have an exceptional team within the next 2 years.

By that time most all of these Yates transfers will be gone. They have a few bad recruiting seasons after that, and the region will belong to Silsbee once again for a few years.

The Yates transfers are “never” gone.