Will Silsbee have a chance at state next year?

On 7/15/2019 at 1:03 PM, stevenash said:

HJ lost 4 starters from last year

I thought they were supposed to be loaded moving forward.  If that's, the case I like Lumberton to get second.  Every major contributor returns and add one that was kicked off last year, who may be the best player on the team.  Plus Josh Mitchell may be one of the best young coaches in the area.

So are you picking Lumberton to finish ahead of HJ this year? The lines on senior night were long at Silsbee and HJ but both will be very solid this upcoming season . The battle for the district title should be a good one between the Tigers and the Hawks. I think Lumberton, WOS and BC will have a good battle for the last two spots. 

I ain’t real sure how ya get “uppity” coaching high school hoops. I do know the HJ coach is as good as there is in southeast Texas making in game adjustments . I still think we’re looking at a real good series this year between Silsbee and HJ for the district crown. WOS always has the athletes to make games close and BC had a good young club to build on. LCM lost a helluva offensive player so they’re going to have to find some scoring to replace him. 

My impression of the these coaches is just an impression so don't read too much into that.  I don't know that guy personally.  I think WOS drops way off.  Athletes are great if they come out to play and I don't think they will.  I expect a lot of parity.  District champ won't be undefeated and Silsbee or HJ will lose to someone else in the district.  I'm not sold on Bridge City, but they did knock off Nederland last year.  There is some potential there.

6 hours ago, whsalum said:

I don’t see anyone in the district beating Silsbee or HJ. I could be wrong but I would be shocked to see either of those with more than 1 district loss. 

I think that district will be a little more balanced this year. No clear favorite as of now in IMHO. Still think it will be between HJ and Silsbee but there could be an upset or two. 

No doubt upsets can happen on any night. That’s why I mention Bridge City, they had some kids that could shoot the ball pretty well. They will win some ball games as the rest of their game develops. Lumberton’s biggest asset I saw last year was their ability to control tempo which is a double edged sword when you play a team that walks it up and can shoot it. 

On 7/17/2019 at 6:05 PM, HOOPDR3AMS said:

Probably not.  More of wishful thinking.  I always find myself rooting for Lumberton coach and HJ coach is a little uppity.  I say Silsbee, HJ, Lumberton, LCM.  I don't think it will be a clear cut 1, 2, 3, 4.  

20 hours ago, whsalum said:

I ain’t real sure how ya get “uppity” coaching high school hoops. I do know the HJ coach is as good as there is in southeast Texas making in game adjustments . I still think we’re looking at a real good series this year between Silsbee and HJ for the district crown. WOS always has the athletes to make games close and BC had a good young club to build on. LCM lost a helluva offensive player so they’re going to have to find some scoring to replace him. 

Coach Davis is as nice a guy as you will meet and goes above and beyond with his players.   He can be a bit on the shy side with folks he doesn’t know which I suppose can come off a certain way.  But he is the polar opposite of “uppity.”

On 7/19/2019 at 11:00 AM, HOOPDR3AMS said:

Tempo is a big deal.  Silsbee won't have two 6'4 monsters in the front of their press this year.  HJ won't have Green and the twins running wild in their press.  It may be a little more doable for Lumberton, etc to slow things down against them.  

So Silsbee won't have any size on the court this year ... ? :)

16 minutes ago, Who That said:

So Silsbee won't have any size on the court this year ... ? :)

You tell me.  I'm comfortable in saying that nobody of Devon McCain or Jordyn Adams size and athleticism will be out there.  I have no doubt that there is some talent in Silsbee and no slight to them.  It's just that those two were special and it seems that not everyone realizes it.

4 hours ago, HOOPDR3AMS said:

You tell me.  I'm comfortable in saying that nobody of Devon McCain or Jordyn Adams size and athleticism will be out there.  I have no doubt that there is some talent in Silsbee and no slight to them.  It's just that those two were special and it seems that not everyone realizes it.

I know of no one of that size but if there is he may equal their athleticism but he won’t equal their basketball ability or other intangibles.  Well maybe I shouldn’t say he won’t but it’s highly unlikely.

Looks like we got off track from the original question so here’s my take on it. Can Silsbee get back to state next year? They lost Adams, McCain, White, Tyler and a couple of more off a great team that didn’t make it to state as seniors so my answer is no. They have a great returning PG but lost to much of the supporting cast to win the region. 

2 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

Potential starting lineup by mid December 

Martin 

Bush 

Cartwright 

Harmon 

Jones 

I was wondering which Jones you were talking about.... Willie Jones middle son or Malik Jones who was the best Jr. high player a couple of years ago. Also don't forget about Briscoe and possibly even Pertain. 

If I didn't know better I would think the TIGERS didn't graduate Adams, McCain, Tyler, White etc. Bush is a very special player , no doubt about it but I think it's less than realistic to see this years Tigers to be anywhere close to what they have been the last several years. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Silsbee and HJ split. Both clubs return players who saw considerable playing time last year while losing some top line starters to graduation. I didn't see Silsbee's 8th grade group last year so I don't have any idea how many of those kids will be ready to contribute on the varsity level. I do know HJ had some very good freshman last year on a club that only lost 2 games. I can't help but believe some of those kids will contribute this year.