2019 BRIDGE CITY CARDINALS

This is the hidden content, please

2019 FOOTBALL TEAM PREVIEWS

BRIDGE CITY CARDINALS

2018 Record: 2-8 Overall, 1-4 District

5th Place in 11-4A-I

The 2018 season was another injury plagued campaign for the Bridge City Cardinals and those injuries were too much to overcome as the Cardinals limped to a 2-8 record.  Head Coach Allen DeShazo is counting on the fact that several youngsters were forced into starting roles (5 starters on offense and 8 starters on defense return) will bring experience in 2019 and allow the Cardinals to rebound from last season.

Head Coach:  Allen DeShazo

Assistant Coaches:  Chris Lee (Offensive Coordinator), Rick Abraham (Defensive Coordinator), Jimmy Hallman (Offensive Line), Joe Blanda (Running Backs), Randall Robertson (Wide Receivers), Shea Landry (Outside Linebackers), Paul Landry (Defensive Line), Lance Robertson (Defensive Backs)

Offense:

Five starters return to the Bridge City multiple-I offense in 2019.  Taking over the reigns to the offense will be sophomore quarterback Ethan Oceguera.  Senior fullback Andy Lara (1st team all-district) and senior running back Rylan Ply (2nd team all-district) will shoulder much of the rushing load for the Cardinals.  Bridge City does bring back some experience in its receiver group as junior wide out Blake Moore and wide out Austin Richardson will be joined by sophomore tight end J.T. Fielder.  Returning lineman Trent Roccaforte will lead an offensive line which will also include Braydon Little.

Defense:

Eight starters return to the Bridge City 3-4 defense in 2019.  Returning lineman Kevin Ross will lead a line which will also feature Mark Jones.  The Cardinals will be particularly strong at linebackers Garrett Ashworth and Dorian Pruitt will be joined by outside linebackers Ply and senior Jackson Tims.  Richardson, Moore and Jake Potter will be joined by sophomore Deegan King in patrolling the Cardinal secondary.

Special Teams:

Junior Oscar Carranza will do the place kicking for Bridge City while Oceguera will do the punting.  Ply and King will be the primary kick returners.

Schedule:

Aug. 30 - Diboll, 7:30 pm

Sept. 6 - Jasper, 7:30 pm

Sept. 13 - at Anahuac, 7:30 pm

Sept. 19 - at Silsbee, 7:30 pm

Sept. 27 - West Orange-Stark, 7:30 pm

Oct. 4 - OPEN

Oct. 11 - at Little Cypress-Mauriceville, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 18 - Huffman Hargrave, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 25 - at Lumberton, 7:00 pm*

Nov. 1 - at Livingston, 7:00 pm*

Nov. 8 - Splendora, 7:00 pm* 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Hmmmmm.... 

Ply and Lara at RB I like.... Really need a lot from our O-line to get things moving.  We played STJFL with Oceguera (as qb way back then) and it'll be interesting to see how he's progressed.

I'm really out of touch with the program these days.

Multiple I offense. They got rid of the wing T

18 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Hmmmmm.... 

Ply and Lara at RB I like.... Really need a lot from our O-line to get things moving.  We played STJFL with Oceguera (as qb way back then) and it'll be interesting to see how he's progressed.

I'm really out of touch with the program these days.

You're  right.  Lara is a bowling ball and hard to bring down.  Ply seems more like the one with wheels.  Nice pieces  there.  If that O line shows up, maybe the Cards  can get in the playoffs...

On 7/12/2019 at 7:21 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

You're  right.  Lara is a bowling ball and hard to bring down.  Ply seems more like the one with wheels.  Nice pieces  there.  If that O line shows up, maybe the Cards  can get in the playoffs...

I'm thinking Splendora, Huffman, and Lumberton should finish 1-3 in some order.  It would have LCM, BC, and Livingston fighting for that fourth playoff spot in that order.

That's on paper, anyways.  

8 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I'm thinking Splendora, Huffman, and Lumberton should finish 1-3 in some order.  It would have LCM, BC, and Livingston fighting for that fourth playoff spot in that order.

That's on paper, anyways.  

You read Dave Campbell too much. I believe we will be 2nd or better. As long as our 3 year starting QB doesn’t get hurt we will be fine. I believe the back up will be a good one also. 4 of our receivers will be back they made all district last year. It’s gonna be hard for me to believe that anyone in our district will be able to cover  everyone one of them. Teams will have to pressure the quarter back. Our rushing attack was lacking last year that will have to improve. Our defense gave up least points during district. We have 7 starters on both sides of the ball. Splendora and Huffman should be the only challenges for LCM during district. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Kourt1
    Newest Member
    Kourt1