2019 SILSBEE TIGERS

This is the hidden content, please

2019 FOOTBALL TEAM PREVIEWS

SILSBEE TIGERS

2018 Record: 10-5 Overall, 3-1 District

Class 4A, Division II State Semifinalists

The 2018 season was a historic one for the Silsbee Tigers as they advanced to the State Semifinal Round for the first time since 1977.  But the 2018 season left Tiger fans only wanting some more as the goal for 2019 is to not only to reach the 4A, Division II State Championship Game, but to capture it.  Under the leadership of Head Coach Randy Smith and with the return of eight offensive starters and four defensive starters, that goal is certainly an achievable one.

Head Coach: Randy Smith

Assistant Coaches: Trent Jones (Offensive Coordinator), Cory Harrison (Defensive Coordinator), Michael Nelson (Running Backs/Quarterbacks), Dustin Westbrook (Receivers), Jerrod Morris (Running Back), Avante Smith (Offensive Line), Bryan Webb (Defensive Line), David Drake (Secondary), Kyle Mackey (Secondary), Ronnie Loftin (Running Backs)

Offense:

Eight starters return to the Silsbee 2 back multiple offense in 2019.  Returning to lead the offense will be junior quarterback Raymond Foster (2nd team all-district) who will get a bit of a push from sophomore Jayden Briscoe.  Foster will have the support of a veteran backfield as senior running backs Chris Martin and Dralyn Taylor (both 1st team all district) and senior fullback Dillon Tarver (2nd team all district) return to the Tiger backfield along with junior running back Antonius Arline (2019 Offensive Newcomer of the Year).  Look for junior running back Malik Jones and senior fullback Dylan Colvin to also see time in the Silsbee backfield.  Senior wide out K'Drian Cartwright and senior tight end Austin Paine will contribute in the Tiger passing game.  They will operate behind an offensive line which will feature returning seniors Morgan Robberts (2nd team all-district) and Bradley Breaux and junior Ayden Bell.  Look for them to be joined by seniors David Thomas and Zach Tillman.

Defense:

Four starters return to the Silsbee 3-4 defense in 2019.  A veteran front line returns as Bell (1st team all-district) and seniors Sam Roundtree (2nd team all-district), and Lawrence Williams all return from last year.  Look for junior Caleb Buse to also see time on the line.  Senior Dillon Tarver returns to lead a linebacker group which will also include seniors Martin, Isiah Henderson, Will Fontaine and Colvin.  Juniors Quincy Kelly and Malik Jones will also be counted on to contribute at linebacker.  Junior safeties Briscoe and Reuben Hatton and senior cornerbacks Cartwright, Taylor and Arline will patrol the Tiger secondary.

Special Teams:

Junior Diego Gonzales will handle both the place kicking and punting duties for Silsbee while Martin and Taylor will be the primary kick returners.

Schedule:

Aug. 30 - Port Neches-Groves, 7:30 pm

Sept. 6 - Newton, 7:30 pm

Sept. 13 - at Nederland, 7:30 pm

Sept. 19 - Bridge City, 7:30 pm

Sept. 27 - at Lumberton, 7:30 pm

Oct. 4 - Longview Spring Hill, 7:30 pm

Oct. 11 - West Orange-Stark, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 18 - at Hardin-Jefferson, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 25 - Liberty, 7:30 pm*

Nov. 1 - at Hamshire-Fannett, 7:30 pm*

Nov. 8 - OPEN

• 3 weeks later...

So looks like the Tigers are only hurting at Secondary (experience wise only).  I was concerned about d-like but looks like that core group is back.  LB's will be fine.   Notice I'm not even talking about the O.  Look, the ONLY two key losses on O is Turk at WR and Lightfoot on the O-Line.  But those kids that will be out there will plug those spots up just fine.  I hope whatever bugs the D has can work those out early  and get right back into the swing of things and pick up where they left off at.  Going to be a fun season and a fun ride.

39 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I mean, who's  complaining?  I never heard anything about the racial makeup of the coaching staff.  There were earlier complaints about the coaching staff in general, nothing to do with the racial makup.  But those complaints have diminished last year... 

Agreed, I think someone just trying to stir something up.

On 7/10/2019 at 10:05 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

I mean, who's  complaining?  I never heard anything about the racial makeup of the coaching staff.  There were earlier complaints about the coaching staff in general, nothing to do with the racial makup.  But those complaints have diminished last year... 

You don’t talk or listen to too many people from Silsbee I see. Trust me just because you haven’t heard it doesn’t mean it’s not noticed or discussed. There are a lot racial issues being discussed pertaining to Silsbee and especially the school district. 

3 hours ago, KB24 said:

You don’t talk or listen to too many people from Silsbee I see. Trust me just because you haven’t heard it doesn’t mean it’s not noticed or discussed. There are a lot racial issues being discussed pertaining to Silsbee and especially the school district. 

I know about that part (school district)  , but nothing pertaining to the coaching staff or players of the  football team. I've been in the know for a little over a decade now. The situation that you're talking about is something formulated from a few idiotic bleacher coaches that had no faith in Smith who conveniently  disappeared during 2018's run. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Kourt1
    Newest Member
    Kourt1