Wos jumbotron

Local newspaper editorial on the WOS bond issue/jumbotron.

This is the hidden content, please

Is it tone-deaf of all of us to celebrate a new scoreboard and turf when the perennial football powerhouse ranked #1404 out of 1415 high schools in the state academically?  That's not a knock on the kids.... it's a failure by the community and the school district to get their priorities lined up reasonably.  

How long do you think WOS faithful would put up with missing the playoffs?  It's just sad.

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Is it tone-deaf of all of us to celebrate a new scoreboard and turf when the perennial football powerhouse ranked #1404 out of 1415 high schools in the state academically?  That's not a knock on the kids.... it's a failure by the community and the school district to get their priorities lined up reasonably.  

How long do you think WOS faithful would put up with missing the playoffs?  It's just sad.

Were you not the same individual that a short 2 months ago was railing against a Nederland ISD bond that included the construction of a new high school, citing one of the reasons as, essentially, you can't throw money at education?  Surely, you're not indicating that what was supposedly a scourge for Nederland ISD would be the savior for WO-C CISD?

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

As a wos taxpayer, I had they same concern. But if education was priority for most of the athletes, lcm bc and of would make the playoffs every year. Well not bc cuz none of them would move there no matter how well the fb team does.

53 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

As a wos taxpayer, I had they same concern. But if education was priority for most of the athletes, lcm bc and of would make the playoffs every year. Well not bc cuz none of them would move there no matter how well the fb team does.

I hear what you're saying, but I think you might be a pretty good example of the way of thinking that I'm criticizing.  Athleticism isn't a substitute for intelligence or an education... We shouldn't be raising kids to think that their athletic abilities will somehow translate into a successful life.  For every Deionte Thompson, you have about 40 kids that never play another snap after graduation, they just don't have an education to help prepare them to succeed through their lives.

Athletics is supposed to enrich kids' educational experience.  Whether you're the star skilled player, a lineman, a backup, a trainer, the kid playing the tuba, or the guy wearing the horse costume- You guys do a exemplary job on the field... there's no debating that.  It's just pitiful that it apparently comes completely at the expense of a quality education. Are we all just willing to accept that WOS has become a place for kids who excel at football and have no hope for a future outside of football?  Because it seems like that's what the voters in West Orange are okay with.   

Every time the discussion of turf has come up, we hear how "the kids deserve it."  Really?   I think they deserve a chance to learn to read and write.  Why don't the grownups feel that way? 

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

Were you not the same individual that a short 2 months ago was railing against a Nederland ISD bond that included the construction of a new high school, citing one of the reasons as, essentially, you can't throw money at education?  Surely, you're not indicating that what was supposedly a scourge for Nederland ISD would be the savior for WO-C CISD?

I complained about the excessive price tag at NISD, and the underestimation of the anticipated cost to the taxpayers.  

How can anybody justify a bond issue in a school district that is in the bottom 1% of all schools in the state, but only 17% of the bond funds will go towards education, with the balance going towards the athletic program?

When WOS is taken over by the state or merged into another District, it will be because the administration over there was more concerned about scoreboards and turf.  Would you guys settle for #1404 out of 1415 in football?  Lol.  

I'll be honest... those aren't even my kids and it makes me a little angry at how bad the WOS community has let them down.  Those kids aren't dumb... they are being hung out to dry by their community. 

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

We all know what you said. No need to waste space with more of your hate speech. 

You have no idea the number of kids that WOS FOOTBALL has helped over the years. Kids that have decided to make the right choice. Kids that might not have a father to raise them to be a man. Kids that have successful careers away from sports. Only a few make it to the league. But they all make it in life.

32 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

We all know what you said. No need to waste space with more of your hate speech. 

You have no idea the number of kids that WOS FOOTBALL has helped over the years. Kids that have decided to make the right choice. Kids that might not have a father to raise them to be a man. Kids that have successful careers away from sports. Only a few make it to the league. But they all make it in life.

Why do you accept that failure? There are 1415 public high schools in Texas. Only 11 of them scored worse than WOS on their standardized testing.... and WOS responds by adding a Jumbotron? C’mon, Man! 

How can a school that fails so miserably in academics still have an entire V and JV team that passes their classes during football season.

Like I said... sad times are in store for WOS when the grownups at the state level come take over the school system.  Because it’s obvious that the school board and those that elect them, as well as the administration and teachers are collectively incapable of educating a group of talented kids.  That stinks.

What good is a Jumbotron when the kids you’re SUPPOSED to be educating can’t read what’s on it?

That’s not a knock on the students over there... that’s a condemnation of the decision makers.  There’s a reason that everybody that’s correcting me is from WOS.... 

Anyways, I’ve made my point   Congrats on your turf and stuff.  

I don't doubt the numbers from the orange leader report. But I had know idea it was that bad compared to the rest of the state. Obviously comparing schools in orange county doesn't exactly make it any better. Standardized testing has always been debatable when it depresses lower income/minorities. Orange has nothing to offer the youth or college graduates wishing to return here. Meanwhile all these surrounding areas are thriving.

How many of yall WOS mustangs still live in the district?

On a positive note, the elementary scores were up slightly. If there is going to be a change made, it has to start there. 

8 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I'm not buying that. Kids care more about whats on Instagram and snapchat etc than about studying and doing what they need to be doing in school I've seen it first hand myself. U can spend 400 million dollars on education but willing to learn and work hard to be successful start with self motivation. I've noticed, from my experience the I see that the kids  are not on their cell phones ps4 xbox or anything else distracting 24 /7 have no problem passing the starr test or classes. The ones I see on there phone all day everyday are in summer school ,the same ones every year. Until that person looking in the mirror is willing to make a change and decide to stop wasting their time with stuff that doesn't and get serious about things that do, the result we be the same. Its nothing wrong with these kids other than their just flat out lazy. I'm not saying dont spend money on education I'm all for that  but spend the money where its going to be used and not wasted. IT'S NO SUCH THING AS A FAILED PLAN. ITS PEOPLE WHO FAIL THE PLAN.

24 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I don't doubt the numbers from the orange leader report. But I had know idea it was that bad compared to the rest of the state. Obviously comparing schools in orange county doesn't exactly make it any better. Standardized testing has always been debatable when it depresses lower income/minorities. Orange has nothing to offer the youth or college graduates wishing to return here. Meanwhile all these surrounding areas are thriving.

How many of yall WOS mustangs still live in the district?

On a positive note, the elementary scores were up slightly. If there is going to be a change made, it has to start there. 

I saw the improvement at the elementary level, too... that’s a bright spot. 

I skipped right over the Orange County schools... the rest of us are doing ok. I was just thinking about all of the schools that outperformed you guys. There are a bunch of inner city schools in Houston, Dallas, and the SATX that have zero community support compared to WOS that finished ahead. I’ll bet there are schools down in the valley that were ahead of you guys in which the majority of the students didn’t speak English to start with. 

I get failing if you have an old school in the inner city with zero support from their community and all of the problems that living in an impoverished area. Drugs, crime, violence, extreme poverty. 

But you guys turn out, man... that’s what blows my mind. There’s not another school in Orange County that has nearly the community support that the Stangs have... for the football program, anyways. If those kids can be coached to absolute greatness (which is they have proven to be over the last few years), then I’d bet everything I have and all that I could borrow that they are teachable as well. 

19 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Why do you accept that failure? There are 1415 public high schools in Texas. Only 11 of them scored worse than WOS on their standardized testing.... and WOS responds by adding a Jumbotron? C’mon, Man! 

How can a school that fails so miserably in academics still have an entire V and JV team that passes their classes during football season.

Like I said... sad times are in store for WOS when the grownups at the state level come take over the school system.  Because it’s obvious that the school board and those that elect them, as well as the administration and teachers are collectively incapable of educating a group of talented kids.  That stinks.

What good is a Jumbotron when the kids you’re SUPPOSED to be educating can’t read what’s on it?

That’s not a knock on the students over there... that’s a condemnation of the decision makers.  There’s a reason that everybody that’s correcting me is from WOS.... 

Anyways, I’ve made my point   Congrats on your turf and stuff.  

Artificial turfs and jumbotrons are luxuries.  They are not deserved and the fact the West Orange-Stark starting this season will move from the "have not" column to the "have" column in that does not alter my opinion in that regard.  They are not "deserved."  I have said every time that the issue of artificial turfs, jumbotrons and indoor practice facilities come up is that if a district does have the funds to purchase those or if the taxpayers in those districts feel that they can sustain the tax increase to purchase the bonds to acquire them, then good for them.  If not, then good for them as well and districts that decide not to should not be judged that their football program are somehow inferior.

However, to condemn those that express pride in those newly acquired items as being solely devoted to athletics, especially when the renovations, of which the turf and scoreboard are included, actually cost $2.9 million (which is only 11.2% of the bond issue) and as ignoring the needs of non-athletes, smacks of just a bit of bitterness.  There is certainly nothing wrong about having pride in newly renovated or acquire sports equipment and expressing that pride, especially on a message board that is primarily devoted to high school sports.  And that some in the area are also expressing pride on such a site should be equally expected and such should not be condemned.

And that is due to a couple of things.  As school districts should not be judged as "anti-sports" due to declining to make expenditures for items such as artificial turf, school districts who have certain percentage (which I will show in a bit can be disputed) of bond devoted to athletics should not be judged to be ignoring the education needs of students in the district.

Now let me be clear, the educational situation of the West Orange-Cove Consolidated ISD is currently a disaster.  There is no way that can be disputed and...quite frankly....it has been that way for the most of this century.  And I agree that if a reversal does not occur...and soon....the WO-C CISD will be subject to either Beaumont ISD-like Board of Supervisors or, even more drastically, a La Marque ISD shutdown.  I'll even agree with you that a large part of the problem lies in district administration, which by reputation sometimes caters to evolving social "norms" rather than the education of the district's students.  But to leave the students themselves, as well as their families, out of the placing of fault seems a little bit skewed.  As we are in the football forum, a football analogy, if you please.  You can place a high school football team with an NFL coaching staff, give them state of the art equipment and stadium to play in. If those players don't have the ability, or more important the drive, to excel, that team will go 0-10.  Is it true with all students in WO-C ISD?  Of course not.  But it could be enough to make a difference in performance scores.

It seems like a large part of your angst is caused by the percentages alleged by Mr. Derosier in his op-ed that you posted the link to.  Please compare Mr. Derosier's calculations to the actual numbers and compare to the actual numbers. 

According to the district, there were 10 major projects that were earmarked in this bond issue:

Safety and Security: $800,000 (3.1%)

HVAC, Bleachers, Infrastructure: $2.1 million (8.1%)

Technology Initiative (which included updating computers for student and teacher use in all labs and classrooms as well as interactive panels in all classrooms: 1.9 million (7.3%)

Classroom Furniture and Equipment: $2.2 million (8.5%)

Fine Arts Improvements: $300,000 (1.2%)

Transportation Center: $2.1 million (8.1%)

High School Softball: $750,000 (2.9%)

High School Baseball: $1.4 million (5.4%)

High School Football:2.9 million (11.3%)

High School Event Center: $11.3 million (45.0%)

Now the only way you get 72% of this bond going to athletics is if you put the HVAC, Bleachers, and Infrastructure Project and the High School Event Center Project as solely athletic expenditures.  I fail to see how middle school roof replacement, gymnasium bleacher replacement at the district's early learning center (that is for pre-K kids), high school entry door replacement, fencing, signage replacement roof at one of the high school buildings, chill water piping insulation and maintenance of the air conditioners at the district's 4 campuses constitutes athletic spending.  Similarly while the event center will be used by the district's athletic teams, it will also be used for school assemblies, graduation ceremonies, events put on by other school extracurricular groups, teacher groups, non-athletic P.E. classes and other non-athletic school activities.  To put both of these groups strictly in the "sports program" categories seems an attempt to fit a narrative rather than provide information.

I just fail to see where a percentage (which I just showed to be incredibly flawed) thrown in a local op-ed coupled with the show of pride for new facilities on a high school sports message board equals to a complete disregard for the education of students in a particular community.

You can't buy a state championship, it's true.  The last 4 football state championships to come from this area come from schools who played all their home games on grass and had scoreboards that only worked about 3/4 of the time.

But you can't buy a good high school education, either.  For you of all people to appear to make the implication otherwise is quite surprising.

6 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Artificial turfs and jumbotrons are luxuries.  They are not deserved and the fact the West Orange-Stark starting this season will move from the "have not" column to the "have" column in that not alter my opinion in that regard.  They are not "deserved."  I have said every time that the issue of artificial turfs, jumbotrons and indoor practice facilities come up is that if a district does have the funds to purchase those or if the taxpayers in those districts feel that they can sustain the tax increase to purchase the bonds to acquire them, then good for them.  If not, then good for them as well and districts that decide not to should not be judged that their football program are somehow inferior.

However, to condemn those that express pride in those newly acquired items as being solely devoted to athletics, especially when the renovations, of which the turf and scoreboard are included, actually cost $2.9 million (which is only 11.2% of the bond issue) and as ignoring the needs of non-athletes, smacks of just a bit of bitterness.  There is certainly nothing wrong about having pride in newly renovated or acquire sports equipment and expressing that pride, especially on a message board that is primarily devoted to high school sports.  And that some in the area are also expressing pride on such a site should be equally expected and such should not be condemned.

And that is due to a couple of things.  As school districts should not be judged as "anti-sports" due to declining to make expenditures for items such as artificial turf, school districts who have certain percentage (which I will show in a bit can be disputed) of bond devoted to athletics should not be judged to be ignoring the education needs of students in the district.

Now let me be clear, the educational situation of the West Orange-Cove Consolidated ISD is currently a disaster.  There is no way that can be disputed and...quite frankly....it has been that way for the most of this century.  And I agree that if a reversal does not occur...and soon....the WO-C CISD will be subject to either Beaumont ISD-like Board of Supervisors or, even more drastically, a La Marque ISD shutdown.  I'll even agree with you that a large part of the problem lies in district administration, which by reputation sometimes caters to evolving social "norms" rather than the education of the district's students.  But to leave the students themselves, as well as their families, out of the placing of fault seems a little bit skewed.  As we are in the football forum, a football analogy, if you please.  You can place a high school football team with an NFL coaching staff, give them state of the art equipment and stadium to play in. If those players don't have the ability, or more important the drive, to excel, that team will go 0-10.  Is it true with all students in WO-C ISD?  Of course not.  But it could be enough to make a difference in performance scores.

It seems like a large part of your angst is caused by the percentages alleged by Mr. Derosier in his op-ed that you posted the link to.  Please compare Mr. Derosier's calculations to the actual numbers and compare to the actual numbers. 

According to the district, there were 10 major projects that were earmarked in this bond issue:

Safety and Security: $800,000 (3.1%)

HVAC, Bleachers, Infrastructure: $2.1 million (8.1%)

Technology Initiative (which included updating computers for student and teacher use in all labs and classrooms as well as interactive panels in all classrooms: 1.9 million (7.3%)

Classroom Furniture and Equipment: $2.2 million (8.5%)

Fine Arts Improvements: $300,000 (1.2%)

Transportation Center: $2.1 million (8.1%)

High School Softball: $750,000 (2.9%)

High School Baseball: $1.4 million (5.4%)

High School Football:2.9 million (11.3%)

High School Event Center: $11.3 million (45.0%)

Now the only way you get 72% of this bond going to athletics is if you put the HVAC, Bleachers, and Infrastructure Project and the High School Event Center Project as solely athletic expenditures.  I fail to see how middle school roof replacement, gymnasium bleacher replacement at the district's early learning center (that is for pre-K kids), high school entry door replacement, fencing, signage replacement roof at one of the high school buildings, chill water piping insulation and maintenance of the air conditioners at the district's 4 campuses constitutes athletic spending.  Similarly while the event center will be used by the district's athletic teams, it will also be used for school assemblies, graduation ceremonies, events put on by other school extracurricular groups, teacher groups, non-athletic P.E. classes and other non-athletic school activities.  To put both of these groups strictly in the "sports program" categories seems an attempt to fit a narrative rather than provide information.

I just fail to see where a percentage (which I just showed to be incredibly flawed) thrown in a local op-ed coupled with the show of pride for new facilities on a high school sports message board equals to a complete disregard for the education of students in a particular community.

You can't buy a state championship, it's true.  The last 4 football state championships to come from this area come from schools who played all their home games on grass and had scoreboards that only worked about 3/4 of the time.

But you can't buy a good high school education, either.  For you of all people to appear to make the implication otherwise is quite surprising.

Good post.... thank you. After thinking some more, it would also seem like actual educational facility investment (new classrooms, etc....) would probably not need to be as proportionally large due to WOS’s declining enrollment. I’m curious as to how the editor arrived at his percentages, too.

I’m in no way bitter that you guys are getting turf or a Jumbotron, lol. I admire your accomplishments in football and think we could and should demand more from our athletic programs over here.  Just participating isn’t enough. 

Here’s my analogy... my kid started kindergarten with a girl that didn’t speak a word of English. Not a word. Her family had just gotten here from somewhere in Asia. I’m not exaggerating when I tell you that she was the salutatorian at BCHS in 2018. That kinda makes me feel like I could have done a lot more as a parent in regards to the educational demands that I placed around my house. That particular set of parents had expectations and priorities and they were NOT gonna allow their daughter to fail. Kinda like you guys put expectations on Cornell and the boys. 

If somebody wanted to tell me about the 12th-worse performing high school in all of Texas, I’d just assume it was some crappy school in downtown Houston that the community didn’t give a darn about...Not y’all. 

41 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

This is definitely more of a political issue. Cardinal backer, your motivation for posting this link seems dishonest. I doubt you care at all about kids from WOS. But your passive aggressive ways are clear.

Right... the problem isn't the problem. The fact that I pointed it out is the problem.  Are you sure I've never been married to you?

The question isn't whether or not I care about kids from WOS.... the question is whether or not the people from West Orange care about the kids from WOS getting an education, or just want to win high school football games.  I think the results speak for themselves.     

Okay, I'm done.  Go Stangs. 112% 

5 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Right... the problem isn't the problem. The fact that I pointed it out is the problem.  Are you sure I've never been married to you?

The question isn't whether or not I care about kids from WOS.... the question is whether or not the people from West Orange care about the kids from WOS getting an education, or just want to win high school football games.  I think the results speak for themselves.     

You were talking down on your own school recently. You just want to start another controversy. Keep it on your side of the bayou.