Hamshire-Fannett HC open

Open enrollment doesnt make a kid eligible for UIL activities.  Residency is what determines that.  He should know he’s already being watched closely and if the “t’s” arent crossed and the “i’s” dotted H-F will find themselves in a bind.  A sudden influx of players from Beaumont wont fly in that district.  I hope he knows what kind of mess he’s creating for himself and the district.

And I was ridiculed when I said this hire would be a game changer :D  This is not uncommon, and in fact extremely common in places like the metroplex.  UIL can require a kid they deem not to be eligible for varsity play to play sub varsity for a year.  After that, they are eligible to play under the rules.  

Those who know the game, and know it well, have known Coach Rideaux was going to make some school a heckuva coach.  If HF realizes that and supports them, the Longhorns are going to be extremely competitive in the very near future. 

10 hours ago, TxHoops said:

And I was ridiculed when I said this hire would be a game changer :D  This is not uncommon, and in fact extremely common in places like the metroplex.  UIL can require a kid they deem not to be eligible for varsity play to play sub varsity for a year.  After that, they are eligible to play under the rules.  

Those who know the game, and know it well, have known Coach Rideaux was going to make some school a heckuva coach.  If HF realizes that and supports them, the Longhorns are going to be extremely competitive in the very near future. 

My interpretation of you saying he's a game changer was that he'd build interest in the program and get the Hamshire Fannett kids to actually come out and play.  I thought he'd be a great hire, but openly recruiting isn't exactly endearing or within the rules.  What about the HF kids who've suffered through the losing years only to get tossed aside for Beaumont transfers?  What about the Beaumont transfers who are being sold a dream only be ruled ineligible and sit through universal off-season all year?  What about Lumberton and Silsbee and HJ who do things the right way without recruiting?  

I made light of this before it became apparent what's really going on.  I was excited for Hamshire Fannett basketball and now I'm just disappointed again.

1 hour ago, HOOPDR3AMS said:

My interpretation of you saying he's a game changer was that he'd build interest in the program and get the Hamshire Fannett kids to actually come out and play.  I thought he'd be a great hire, but openly recruiting isn't exactly endearing or within the rules.  What about the HF kids who've suffered through the losing years only to get tossed aside for Beaumont transfers?  What about the Beaumont transfers who are being sold a dream only be ruled ineligible and sit through universal off-season all year?  What about Lumberton and Silsbee and HJ who do things the right way without recruiting?  

I made light of this before it became apparent what's really going on.  I was excited for Hamshire Fannett basketball and now I'm just disappointed again.

Every program you mentioned has had transfers and has had transfers recently.   Kids have parents who make decisions for those kids, including where they go to school.  The rules are then applied as to when they can play.  Some of the top coaches in this area have had a lot of these transfers, although I have no desire to point out coaches (who didn’t move those kids) or the kids who did nothing wrong in my opinion   

It’s a compliment to a coach when parents want their kids to learn from him or her.  The kids HF has returning will most certainly be better this year.  And like many other really good coaches, their school and program will continue to attract players.  

And lest I be misunderstood, I agree Silsbee, HJ, and Lumberton do things the right way.  The implication, however, regarding HF is misguided.  

Moving a child to a different school to play for a certain coach or with certain players is a sad development.  High school athletics are special because the teams are local, but many seem not to care about that.  This is not AAU, where you can jump teams monthly.  This is not college, where athletes are recruited and choose a school.  This is not the NBA, where millionaires refuse to play certain places and select their teammates.  This is high school and it is supposed to be the last pure venue for sport.

I understand you are likely a proponent of clearing athletes for transfer, but your experience and situation seem to be cut from a much nobler cloth.  Let's be real.  These move-ins are not leaving United (David Green) and West Brook (Andre Boutte) for the prestige of a guy who's never been a head coach before.  This is recruiting and it hasn't been very subtle.  I hope that HFISD and the UIL do the right thing here.

1 hour ago, HOOPDR3AMS said:

Moving a child to a different school to play for a certain coach or with certain players is a sad development.  High school athletics are special because the teams are local, but many seem not to care about that.  This is not AAU, where you can jump teams monthly.  This is not college, where athletes are recruited and choose a school.  This is not the NBA, where millionaires refuse to play certain places and select their teammates.  This is high school and it is supposed to be the last pure venue for sport.

I understand you are likely a proponent of clearing athletes for transfer, but your experience and situation seem to be cut from a much nobler cloth.  Let's be real.  These move-ins are not leaving United (David Green) and West Brook (Andre Boutte) for the prestige of a guy who's never been a head coach before.  This is recruiting and it hasn't been very subtle.  I hope that HFISD and the UIL do the right thing here.

This pretty much says everything. A player doesn't leave Green or Boutte to play for another coach unless that player wasn't getting any playing time prior.

Promises promises.

I can certainly agree with a parent taking their child out of BISD and moving to HFISD for academic purposes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 12:39 PM, HOOPDR3AMS said:

Please excuse me while I LOL.  Apartment complexes / rental properties have completely diminished this idea.  As stated above, open enrollment doesn't determine eligibility but RESIDENCE DOES.  The UIL, the district, nor the coaches can do anything about where a kid moves to along with his/her legal guardian.  A change of permanent residency is all it takes for a kid to be eligible to play somewhere else 15 days after the transfer date.  If you don't think this is happening in mass numbers all across the state every year (especially bigger cities) then you're sadly mistaken. 

• 5 months later...