PNG Coach Abel Stepping Down

Need to go get a small school coach that is ready to move up & play in a tough district. 

I have announced starters for PNG Basketball for 24 years & we need to go out of the area & hunt down a new coach with a new philosophy.  I have to admit, I will miss Pat Abel on the sideline for PNG.  That man loved & cared about the sport, & all of the kids he coached.

Heard Chris Smith and Larry Sterling from Nederland putting in.  

Football and baseball are the boys favorite sports there.  Basketball has never been well supported and will hurt for good quality coaches wanting to go there.  Not a winning program and that is nothing against Coach Abel. He did a fantastic job with what he had to work with.

On 4/23/2019 at 3:48 PM, png9mon said:

Need to go get a small school coach that is ready to move up & play in a tough district. 

I have announced starters for PNG Basketball for 24 years & we need to go out of the area & hunt down a new coach with a new philosophy.  I have to admit, I will miss Pat Abel on the sideline for PNG.  That man loved & cared about the sport, & all of the kids he coached.

And he was incredibly entertaining to listen to.   He will he missed.  

On 4/24/2019 at 5:56 PM, whsalum said:

Not sure there is enough emphasis on basketball at PNG for this to be a real attractive job. Very tough district and almost impossible to prepare a team to play when sharing the gym with multiple sports. I saw PNG several times this year and Coach Abel did a really good job.

Sharing the gym with multiple sports? We have three different gyms. At the beginning of season they share with Volleyball and girls basketball. So each team has an available gym? So not sure what you mean by that part of the statement.

I was referring to days when sports that are normally practiced outdoors got rained indoors. I don't claim to be a expert on PNG basketball but I was told by a very reliable source that it wasn't uncommon for the varsity basketball program to have to share a gym with these sports. I think the description of this job earlier in this thread may keep it from being attractive. No pressure, no expectations ? No thanks, not many good young coaches will accept that.. I'll say it again, Coach Abel did a great job with the teams he put on the floor.

9 hours ago, whsalum said:

I was referring to days when sports that are normally practiced outdoors got rained indoors. I don't claim to be a expert on PNG basketball but I was told by a very reliable source that it wasn't uncommon for the varsity basketball program to have to share a gym with these sports. I think the description of this job earlier in this thread may keep it from being attractive. No pressure, no expectations ? No thanks, not many good young coaches will accept that.. I'll say it again, Coach Abel did a great job with the teams he put on the floor.

I think it's a good job for a great assistant or a head coach that's looking to get a pay raise and play in a tough district and challenge you as a coach....PNG was pretty good this year when I saw them in the HJ tourney. 

PNG had a solid team last year when they played in the HJ tourney and I agree this could be a very attractive job under the right circumstances. That being said the new head coach would have to have the same type of buy in from everyone that the other very successful sports down there get . I hope they land a good candidate.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:47 AM, Baba Ganoush32 said:

I heard there is a coach at a smaller school outside of Jefferson county that could/should be considered. He knows the game...local roots though. Pngmon will probably not want him :/

They can go anywhere outside the area to get a good coach.  I think the key is to get a coach from outside the area, with absolutely no local roots..

That way there are no preconceived ideas, no expectations & most importantly no bias in the new coaching philosophy.

That's just my feeling. I have only been going to PNG Boys Basketball games for 54 years, So what do I know?

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:00 PM, Sportsfan1999 said:

smaller school is 1a,2a,3a,  4a isn't a smaller school lol

By the way, I meant a smaller school that 5A.  A coach that truly wants to move up to a tough district & will bust a gut to see the program gets stronger & more competitive year in & year out.