Top 5 Basketball Players From Your School

Michael Dabney was poetry on the b ball court. He could do it all. He had handles, could pass, shoot mid range.  Bomb from the three point line.  Only problem with that was there was no 3 pt line.  It hadn't been thought of yet.  

The main thing that shut Michael D down was he tore his knee.  Before he hurt his knee he may have been the goat.  

David Brown was great as well. 6'8". Nice jumper.  Haven't been many or any come out of the 409 with that kind of height and skill.  He played in the final four with Memphis.

I never saw David Green. I never saw Darrell Mac Arthur play either.  So this debate will never be resolved.

10 hours ago, ST413 said:

Thats all i could give you here in Silsbee as well.  Didnt see them allbut Darrel McArthur still has to be listed as the best.

Only McDonald's All American in school history. Scored over 2400 points in his high school career. Was top 20 all time in state of Texas for career points scored when he graduated. That with no 3 point line.

PA Lincoln is the main reason Silsbee didn't get a ring back in the day. They were the better team more often than not. Silsbee could have been the second best team in the state and not made it out of region because the Bumblebees were doing their thing back then. They finally started getting the best of Lincoln towards the end of that schools lifespan.

I was a little too young to have seen Darrel MacArthur play. I started going to games shortly after that and remember his brother Andrew playing. I think I may have been 10 years old back then.

As far as loving the game and using it to set yourself up for life I don't know if anybody from Silsbee has done that better than class mate James Simmons.  I don't know which one James was better in basketball or academics.  Probably academics, but he was a sharp point guard as well.   He got a full ride at Rice U.  Worked in insurance for about 10 years.  Went to tier 1 U of H Law school at night. He graduated at the top of his law school class, suma cum laude, or some thing like that,  Now he is a seasoned attorney.  

It is hard to make it to the NBA.  Becoming a NFL player is not easy either.  A few from Silsbee have done that.  But not the NBA.  

Maybe some more former Silsbee players have done well academically.  I don't know everyone's story.

1 hour ago, Kountzer said:

As far as loving the game and using it to set yourself up for life I don't know if anybody from Silsbee has done that better than class mate James Simmons.  I don't know which one James was better in basketball or academics.  Probably academics, but he was a sharp point guard as well.   He got a full ride at Rice U.  Worked in insurance for about 10 years.  Went to tier 1 U of H Law school at night. He graduated at the top of his law school class, suma cum laude, or some thing like that,  Now he is a seasoned attorney.  

It is hard to make it to the NBA.  Becoming a NFL player is not easy either.  A few from Silsbee have done that.  But not the NBA.  

Maybe some more former Silsbee players have done well academically.  I don't know everyone's story.

More kids should get this.   Case in point is a group that went through the summer team I work with.  At least 6 players off that team are playing professionally, 4 of which play or have played in the NBA.  But the most successful of that group financially is a kid who was a role player/shooter on the team.  Parlayed that into a full ride to Stanford and took a Wall Street job upon graduation.   Has as good an argument as any about getting the maximum out of basketball.  

On 4/6/2019 at 9:17 PM, TxHoops said:

More kids should get this.   Case in point is a group that went through the summer team I work with.  At least 6 players off that team are playing professionally, 4 of which play or have played in the NBA.  But the most successful of that group financially is a kid who was a role player/shooter on the team.  Parlayed that into a full ride to Stanford and took a Wall Street job upon graduation.   Has as good an argument as any about getting the maximum out of basketball.  

Who are the NBA players if you dont mind me asking?

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

I think both Harrison twins are playing in the G- League or overseas. I thought both would at least get 5 or 6 NBA seasons at least. Kelly Oubre is from H-town and so is Houston Rocket Daniel House. Ton of Texas kids in the NBA and a few more this year. 

Aaron turned down a 2 way contract this year to play in Turkey.   Had been bouncing between the league and the G league for the last few seasons. Andrew had a couple of solid seasons with Memphis (really good last year) before bouncing around from Memphis to Cleveland to New Orleans this year before ending up in Russia.  Wesley is playing for Orlando and Johnathan is on a two-way with the Clippers.  First two way contract in league history to be a part of a trade.  

On 4/10/2019 at 8:33 AM, BADSANTA said:

I wish the state of Texas could keep these kids in state. We lost the kid from Purdue, guard at Auburn, and many others. I think the post from Duke was from Dallas. If UT, A&M, and TCU could keep these kids home, we would play for a shot at the title almost every year. 

The Duke post is from Desoto, Marques Bolden. Duke might get another from Little Elm this year, RJ Hampton.