2019 Houston Astros

3 hours ago, baddog said:

Verlander with his 3rd no-no, his 2nd against the Blue Jays. 14 Ks.....What a pitcher.

There's been a few games this season where he was close. I think that sealed up his cy young award. He also passed 250 Ks on the season. It would have been a perfect game if not for a walk to... Cavin Biggio.

4 minutes ago, mat said:

Verlander's record this season would have been even better had there been any run support in select games. It's pretty impressive to have two potential Cy Young contenders.

Run support would have helped Nolan Ryan increase his win record. Not sure how many he lost 1-0....2-1...etc.

Also, Ryan pitched a bunch of 1 hitters that the hit happened in the 9th inning. So very close to several more no-nos.

Sorry for the Ryan comparison but he is the one by which all others are judged....plus I’m old enough to have seen him play.

Verlander may have taken the Cy with that performance, but I can promise you I will NOT miss Cole’s game today.

7 hours ago, baddog said:

Run support would have helped Nolan Ryan increase his win record. Not sure how many he lost 1-0....2-1...etc.

Also, Ryan pitched a bunch of 1 hitters that the hit happened in the 9th inning. So very close to several more no-nos.

Sorry for the Ryan comparison but he is the one by which all others are judged....plus I’m old enough to have seen him play.

Verlander may have taken the Cy with that performance, but I can promise you I will NOT miss Cole’s game today.

Ryan is tied with Bob Feller for the most one-hitters, with 12. He also pitched 18 two-hitters. But he never pitched a perfect game, nor did he ever win a Cy Young Award. 

I was there for one of his 2 hitters back in the 80s. But the thing I remember most about Nolan was the strikeouts. We made K signs and hung them over the 1st row railing every time he got a K. And now that I think of it, I haven't seen that done in a long time.

16 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Ryan is tied with Bob Feller for the most one-hitters, with 12. He also pitched 18 two-hitters. But he never pitched a perfect game, nor did he ever win a Cy Young Award. 

I was there for one of his 2 hitters back in the 80s. But the thing I remember most about Nolan was the strikeouts. We made K signs and hung them over the 1st row railing every time he got a K. And now that I think of it, I haven't seen that done in a long time.

Cole with a 14K game......no decision. Only time since 1893, when they moved the mound back, that there has ever been back-to-back 14K games by the same team.

Miley just fell off a cliff. Valdez was suppose to pitch out of the bullpen. Because of off-days, the fifth spot in the rotation will come up only two more times. Wednesday against the A’s and Sept. 28 at the Angels. But now who knows. Tonight they said Pressly was making good progress. McHugh is still on 10 day and I haven't heard anything.

From Sept 8...

All-Star reliever Ryan Pressly, who had surgery on his right knee late last month, threw an extensive bullpen session on Sunday, which is something he has been pushing to do for the last few days. The Astros held him back to make sure there’s no inflammation in his knee. He’ll throw a couple more and progress to live batting practice, but it appears there’s a good shot he could return before the end of the regular season.

The throwing program for right-hander Brad Peacock, who went on the inured list Aug. 28 for the second time with right shoulder discomfort, is going “really, really well,” Hinch said. “The first time he was a little nervous, didn’t want to really let it go. [Saturday], he threw a little bit harder and he’ll do that again over the next couple of days.”

8 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

In MLB.com's most recent survey of its reporters and editors, Trout got all 38 first-place MVP votes and Bregman got all 38 second-place votes.

This is the hidden content, please

Maybe MLB needs an official "Mike Trout MVP Runner-Up Award"

Just going on stats. They are very similar. Except trout has 10 more homers. But Bregman  has 43 less strike outs.  

Question is “should team record play a factor when said individual plays when voting on mvp”  

10 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Just going on stats. They are very similar. Except trout has 10 more homers. But Bregman  has 43 less strike outs.  

Question is “should team record play a factor when said individual plays when voting on mvp”  

If Bregman played on a lesser quality team, he would have more HRs. His mindset and approach at the plate would be different. He plays team ball because he knows there is other players behind him. Trout comes up with less runners on base and usually not in critical situations with playoffs on the line. So the opposing pitcher has more of a tendency to challenge him. Like Derek Jeter, Bregman has yet to play a game where the Astros were eliminated from playoffs. That's gotta count for something.

Answer: Yes. I can understand how a player that hits .291, 45 hrs, 104 rbi, 1.083 ops, can be deemed valuable to a team. His contract definatly proves that. But for the MVP of the "league", winning against the best teams in the "league" should be a factor. 

Also, in 9 games vs Astros this season trout is hitting .212 with 3 hrs. And his career postseason avg .083. What a waste for whom many consider to be eventually be the greatest to ever play the game.

Astros officially clinch a playoff spot, Cole hits 300 strikeouts for the season, and they are the first team to reach 100 wins this season! Verlander will win Cy Young, Yordan will win ROY, if Bregman can lock up MVP it’ll be the first time ever that a team has swept the 3 awards. These Astros are a special group!

2 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

The win last night secured home field thru ALCS. How would world series be determined? Best record or head to head?

Best overall record and in the case of a tie, best head to head record but since they didn't play the Dodgers this season it goes to the best division record (which the Astros own). Astros magic number for home field advantage in the WS is 1 with Verlander pitching tonight and Cole pitching the last game of the regular season tomorrow.