Best Meal in Area Restaurant

Hagar

On 10/20/2018 at 5:06 AM, BS Wildcats said:

Can't remember what it's called, but the fried boudain ball smothered in etoufee is my pick at Al T's.  

In a few days, I will be eating at Huck Finn's in Pigeon Forge, Tn.  If you are a fan of frog legs, I've never had any better.  Can't wait!  I know this isn't in the area, but had to throw it out there.

Seems like a bit of a drive to get some tasty frog legs.

42 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Focus people. Fish? Best fish? Lol

I was leaving that to the others because I’m not a huge fried fish fan.  I like it, I eat it, but not an aficionado of it.  That being said, for my taste, I like Pappadeaux as much as any.   I value consistency as much as anything and it’s always good.  I also prefer the way they batter.  It’s not the same as their oysters which I think are easily the best in SETX.  

Now if you include Galveston in the geographic area, give me Gaido’s for all of the above.  

On 10/19/2018 at 1:12 PM, Tigers2010 said:

Where is the best fried fish? I find that most have way too much batter, no mustard rub, under/over seasoned, thin cut.

Try the fried fish at Tia Juanitas.  The batter is perfect and it's never overcooked.

Also, I wasn't a fan of fish tacos, but they have changed my mind...grilled, corn tortilla.

On 10/17/2018 at 5:39 PM, TxHoops said:

You misspelled Aaron Franklin ;)

Franklin's isn't worth the wait, especially with LA Barbecue selling the same stuff and no line. They get the texture and tenderness right on their brisket, but TB's has better flavor. TB's also beats them on ribs and sides.

I'll take Franklin's over the original Black's, though.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:30 PM, TxHoops said:

@PN-G bamatex treat yourself one day and hit Micklethwait’s trailer one day for lunch.  Everything he does is homemade (even the bread) and his brisket, ribs, etc are all excellent.   Also rotates the homemade sausage with all kinds of varieties.  You should also try his jalapeño cheese grits.  Finally, if you can go now that it’s cooler, try a homemade moon pie.  All of it is outstanding.  

I haven't had Micklethwait's, but I've always heard wonderful things. It's on the list.

12 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I was leaving that to the others because I’m not a huge fried fish fan.  I like it, I eat it, but not an aficionado of it.  That being said, for my taste, I like Pappadeaux as much as any.   I value consistency as much as anything and it’s always good.  I also prefer the way they batter.  It’s not the same as their oysters which I think are easily the best in SETX.  

Now if you include Galveston in the geographic area, give me Gaido’s for all of the above.  

Gaido's may have the best seafood in Texas. And since we're including Galveston, Mario's on the seawall has awesome Italian food. I miss the original Mama Teresa's on Crystal Beach, but the replacement on the island still has awesome pizza.

Man, I tried to stay local. If you like shrimp tacos, you will find none better than the ones at Irma's by minute maid park. Best catfish locally is Pine Tree Lodge (well, maybe not right now).

Best Mexican food, my wife and I like La Cantina.

Best margarita is at Casa Tapatia on the feeder road past the Calder Casa Ole in Beaumont. I am not wrong on that one, I can promise you.

2 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Franklin's isn't worth the wait, especially with LA Barbecue selling the same stuff and no line. They get the texture and tenderness right on their brisket, but TB's has better flavor. TB's also beats them on ribs and sides.

I'll take Franklin's over the original Black's, though.

I haven't had Micklethwait's, but I've always heard wonderful things. It's on the list.

Gaido's may have the best seafood in Texas. And since we're including Galveston, Mario's on the seawall has awesome Italian food. I miss the original Mama Teresa's on Crystal Beach, but the replacement on the island still has awesome pizza.

Mario’s is awesome and I’m married to a dago so we’re pretty picky.  We can agree to disagree on Franklin’s.  I hate waiting but that place is the stone cold nuts on brisket.  I’m not a big pork ribs guy with BBQ joints since we all know someone who can cook the mess out of them on their own smoker.   Beef ribs on the other hand are a different breed.  Franklin does a pretty good job with them, Killen’s in Pearland are really good, and Louie Mueller in Taylor is probably still the king.  

Hit up Micklethwait’s though.  If you like the accoutrement of barbeque along with really good meats, that place is among the best.  If I make it up for a basketball game this season, I will treat you to a lunch there. 

6 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Try the fried fish at Tia Juanitas.  The batter is perfect and it's never overcooked.

Also, I wasn't a fan of fish tacos, but they have changed my mind...grilled, corn tortilla.

Now that you mention it, someone else told me the same thing.  You may have the winner there.  

Best gumbo now that we are entering “gumbo season.”

I had Floyd’s for lunch and I would say their seafood gumbo is high on any list.  Was told today by my go to guy in restaurants that Bayou Cafe on Major has a “four meat” gumbo that is the champ.  I’m going to have to try that out soon.  Not sure if any of you guys have had it. 

20 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I had Floyd’s for lunch and I would say their seafood gumbo is high on any list.  Was told today by my go to guy in restaurants that Bayou Cafe on Major has a “four meat” gumbo that is the champ.  I’m going to have to try that out soon.  Not sure if any of you guys have had it. 

I would agree...usually don't get gumbo while out because we have plenty of Cajuns cooking it for all family gatherings..

Lots of good gumbo out there but not much great gumbo...Floyd's is great.

4 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Don’s was the greatest, but Floyds is close.  Easily the best I’ve ate since Dons closed.  I like Tia Juanits pretty good also.

Btw, it’s hard to believe, but at Market Basket sells frozen Richard’s Gumbo.  The little ones have rice, but the bigger ones don’t.  That stuff is outstanding.  My wife will buy 2 big ones, some rice, & a small pkg of shrimp to kick it up a notch.  Real easy, and some of the best gumbo you can buy.

16 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Don’s was the greatest, but Floyds is close.  Easily the best I’ve ate since Dons closed.  I like Tia Juanits pretty good also.

Btw, it’s hard to believe, but at Market Basket sells frozen Richard’s Gumbo.  The little ones have rice, but the bigger ones don’t.  That stuff is outstanding.  My wife will buy 2 big ones, some rice, & a small pkg of shrimp to kick it up a notch.  Real easy, and some of the best gumbo you can buy.

Don's was the best. I do love Floyd's shrimp gumbo. They have a huge bowl not on the menu. I call it the Jethro bowl. Hard to eat it all.

Richard's gumbo is delicious, but I have never eaten it all in one meal. I usually eat their pork chops and rice with black eyed peas and boiled cabbage. I get stuffed like a tick. Lol

7 minutes ago, baddog said:

Don's was the best. I do love Floyd's shrimp gumbo. They have a huge bowl not on the menu. I call it the Jethro bowl. Hard to eat it all.

Richards gumbo is delicious, but I have never eaten it all in one meal. I usually eat their pork chops and rice with black eyed peas and boiled cabbage. I get stuffed like a tick. Lol

Can’t believe that a frozen gumbo taste so good.  Dad gum, I do love it so. :) 

On 10/17/2018 at 5:45 PM, TxHoops said:

I am a big fan of sandwiches.   I tend to think our neighbors to the East have perfected the craft, maybe largely because of the bread they use.   Anyway, the best sandwich I’ve found anywhere is the Darrell’s Special at Darrell’s in Lake Charles.  I am a huge fan of the cheesesteak and have had the best Philly has to offer.   Darrell’s beats them hands down.  I have tried everything I could find in New Orleans which are some pretty special po boys at various places, Darrell’s is better imo.   If you haven’t tried one, put it high on your foodie bucket list.   And get it with the jalapeño mayo.   That thing is probably my favorite meal in the area, although you all have listed some really good ones as well.  

Re-reading it, since I love food.  I’m not a big sandwich person, but a Philly cheesesteak is a different matter.  And then you mention the jalapeño mayo - durn, that sounds good.  My mouth is literally watering.

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

Tia Juanitas chicken and sausage gumbo is really good...but if we’re talking seafood gumbo, Floyd’s is the best.

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

Re-reading it, since I love food.  I’m not a big sandwich person, but a Philly cheesesteak is a different matter.  And then you mention the jalapeño mayo - durn, that sounds good.  My mouth is literally watering.

I am telling you, there is not a safer bet that my buddy Hagar would love the Darrell’s Special.   Turkey, Ham, and Roast Beef, with American, Swiss and Provolone Cheese.  Top it off with some lettuce, mustard, jalapeño mayo, and get this, roast beef gravy.  And the bread is without a doubt the best I’ve ever had on a sandwich.   I have had a couple that various places have tried to replicate, but weren’t even close to duplicating.  

Here’s a picture of that deliciousness:

This is the hidden content, please

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I am telling you, there is not a safer bet that my buddy Hagar would love the Darrell’s Special.   Turkey, Ham, and Roast Beef, with American, Swiss and Provolone Cheese.  Top it off with some lettuce, mustard, jalapeño mayo, and get this, roast beef gravy.  And the bread is without a doubt the best I’ve ever had on a sandwich.   I have had a couple that various places have tried to replicate, but weren’t even close to duplicating.  

Here’s a picture of that deliciousness:

This is the hidden content, please

Good gosh gerdy, that does look good.  Get me two with a gallon of milk, then sit back and watch a master work :) 

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 0:34 PM, baddog said:

Man, I tried to stay local. If you like shrimp tacos, you will find none better than the ones at Irma's by minute maid park. Best catfish locally is Pine Tree Lodge (well, maybe not right now).

Best Mexican food, my wife and I like La Cantina.

Best margarita is at Casa Tapatia on the feeder road past the Calder Casa Ole in Beaumont. I am not wrong on that one, I can promise you.

Bayou Café on Major in Beaumont has awesome grilled shrimp tacos.

22 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I like Floyd's gumbo better than Bayou's...although theirs is pretty good too...

Hard to beat the homemade stuff though. I'll put mine against any restaurant in this area.

I make a killer shrimp and crab gumbo. Gotten many compliments on my gumbo. Even from some of the coonass Texaco blue hats.

I have eaten the chicken and sausage gumbo at Bayou Cafe and it is good, but Tia Juanita's is better. I will give their shrimp tacos a try.

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

I like Floyd's gumbo better than Bayou's...although theirs is pretty good too...

Hard to beat the homemade stuff though. I'll put mine against any restaurant in this area.

48 minutes ago, baddog said:

I make a killer shrimp and crab gumbo. Gotten many compliments on my gumbo. Even from some of the coonass Texaco blue hats.

I have eaten the chicken and sausage gumbo at Bayou Cafe and it is good, but Tia Juanita's is better. I will give their shrimp tacos a try.

@Hagar and I are going to have to be the judges of these two claims.  Let us know where we can pick up a pot of both.  We promise to report back our reviews and return the containers....