Best Meal in Area Restaurant

Hagar

This question has a lot of moving parts.

Best Tex-Mex? The original Tequila's on Gulfway in Port Arthur (not the spinoffs). I have yet to find a flameado anywhere that's as good, and their fajitas adavado are excellent.

Best Italian? My grandmother and great aunt were Colichia's fans and are rolling in their graves to hear me say this, but Tuscany's on FM 365. The toretllini alfredo is very good. Still partial to Colichia's spaghetti sauce, though.

Best Cajun/seafood? The Schooner. Surf and turf with a side of the best potatoes au gratin you'll find anywhere. But boy, do I miss Esther's. Floyd's and Judice's are also really good.

Best BBQ? I'm partial to Billy Joe's on Magnolia. A sliced beef sandwich always hits the spot. Though if you're ever in Austin, Terry Black's is the best barbecue restaurant on the planet.

Best sandwich? Woogie's in Vidor. Literally anything on the menu. That place puts Thundercloud Subs in Austin to shame. The hipsters don't know what they're talking about.

Best burger? Any Hamburger Depot will do. I like the swiss burger, though the patty melt is good, too. Peggy's out on the bayou in Bridge City used to make a mean burger on jalepeno bread, too.

Best all around? Next time you're at San Jacinto, try the Monument Inn down the road from the Battleship Texas. Simple as it seems, the chicken alfredo puts a lot of five star Italian dishes to shame. They serve these awesome cinnamon buns with raisins to every table, too. Great food and a great view to boot.

One thing's for sure: no matter what people on the West End tell you, Beaumont does not have a monopoly on the best food in Southeast Texas.

6 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Oh, I didn't think about them. Ever had the armadillo eggs? Fried jalapenos stuffed with chipped beef. I'm salivating in my office just thinking about it.

Negative on the Armadillo Eggs, but there is nothing I have tried there that was the bomb. Me and the wife make the drive every now and again just to go eat there. 

7 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

This question has a lot of moving parts.

Best Tex-Mex? The original Tequila's on Gulfway in Port Arthur (not the spinoffs). I have yet to find a flameado anywhere that's as good, and their fajitas adavado are excellent.

Best Italian? My grandmother and great aunt were Colichia's fans and are rolling in their graves to hear me say this, but Tuscany's on FM 365. The toretllini alfredo is very good. Still partial to Colichia's spaghetti sauce, though.

Best Cajun/seafood? The Schooner. Surf and turf with a side of the best potatoes au gratin you'll find anywhere. But boy, do I miss Esther's. Floyd's and Judice's are also really good.

Best BBQ? I'm partial to Billy Joe's on Magnolia. A sliced beef sandwich always hits the spot. Though if you're ever in Austin, Terry Black's is the best barbecue restaurant on the planet.

Best sandwich? Woogie's in Vidor. Literally anything on the menu. That place puts Thundercloud Subs in Austin to shame. The hipsters don't know what they're talking about.

Best burger? Any Hamburger Depot will do. I like the swiss burger, though the patty melt is good, too. Peggy's out on the bayou in Bridge City used to make a mean burger on jalepeno bread, too.

Best all around? Next time you're at San Jacinto, try the Monument Inn down the road from the Battleship Texas. Simple as it seems, the chicken alfredo puts a lot of five star Italian dishes to shame. They serve these awesome cinnamon buns with raisins to every table, too. Great food and a great view to boot.

One thing's for sure: no matter what people on the West End tell you, Beaumont does not have a monopoly on the best food in Southeast Texas.

You misspelled Aaron Franklin ;)

I am a big fan of sandwiches.   I tend to think our neighbors to the East have perfected the craft, maybe largely because of the bread they use.   Anyway, the best sandwich I’ve found anywhere is the Darrell’s Special at Darrell’s in Lake Charles.  I am a huge fan of the cheesesteak and have had the best Philly has to offer.   Darrell’s beats them hands down.  I have tried everything I could find in New Orleans which are some pretty special po boys at various places, Darrell’s is better imo.   If you haven’t tried one, put it high on your foodie bucket list.   And get it with the jalapeño mayo.   That thing is probably my favorite meal in the area, although you all have listed some really good ones as well.  

3 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I am a big fan of sandwiches.   I tend to think our neighbors to the East have perfected the craft, maybe largely because of the bread they use.   Anyway, the best sandwich I’ve found anywhere is the Darrell’s Special at Darrell’s in Lake Charles.  I am a huge fan of the cheesesteak and have had the best Philly has to offer.   Darrell’s beats them hands down.  I have tried everything I could find in New Orleans which are some pretty special po boys at various places, Darrell’s is better imo.   If you haven’t tried one, put it high on your foodie bucket list.   And get it with the jalapeño mayo.   That thing is probably my favorite meal in the area, although you all have listed some really good ones as well.  

Better than Johnnys in new orleans or juliens in lafayette??

Y’all need to try Steak Night at Dylan’s on 9th in port Arthur on Wednesday night. Those steaks are to die for, they have ribs that night as well which are usually pretty good. Nothing like Roadhouse ribs. They have the best ribs in SETX. Lol but those ribeye steaks at Dylan’s have amazing flavor. A must try. 

Speaking of hamburgers I know hamburger depot has some ones but Butchers Korner on Boston Ave have the best Bacon Cheese burger ask for it on jalapeño cheese sourdough bread! Goodness those are amazing. Wheelhouse Bessie heights burger comes a close second

Pho Ha the Vietnamese restaurant on Nederland ave the best best Egg Rolls, Spring Rolls and Pho in setx and I have tried every single place in setx. 

Best BBQ crabs has to go to Sartins they moved to central mall now. But they flavor still there, those Crabs are so dang yummy! 

Tamale King in Nederland has the best tamales, we order those things for Christmas parties every year and as soon as we put them on the table they are gone. Still think Carmela’s has the best hot sauce and queso! Carmela’s breakfast is very good as well, and cheap cheap! We usually go once a week. 

Rodair Roadhouse Cajun hush puppies and Sunday brunch so good. Crawfish 3 ways is a must try! 

By the way, for anyone with a hankering for Central Texas Barbeque, Killen’s in Pearland is as good or better than most.  The brisket and beef rib are top 5 in the state (which means top 5 in the world of course) imo.   

For Southeast Texas, JB’s in Orange is still the best to me (although if you are a BBQ connoisseur, “best” is very much a relative term for SETX bbq).  

@PN-G bamatex treat yourself one day and hit Micklethwait’s trailer one day for lunch.  Everything he does is homemade (even the bread) and his brisket, ribs, etc are all excellent.   Also rotates the homemade sausage with all kinds of varieties.  You should also try his jalapeño cheese grits.  Finally, if you can go now that it’s cooler, try a homemade moon pie.  All of it is outstanding.  

On 10/16/2018 at 5:00 PM, Hagar said:

Although I'm a slim 250 lbs, I do like to eat.  That said, I'll start this off.  

Al T's.  Thibodeaux Special, which is a chargrilled ribeye with crawfish etoufee on top.   God help me, I do love it so!

Can't remember what it's called, but the fried boudain ball smothered in etoufee is my pick at Al T's.  

In a few days, I will be eating at Huck Finn's in Pigeon Forge, Tn.  If you are a fan of frog legs, I've never had any better.  Can't wait!  I know this isn't in the area, but had to throw it out there.

4 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

Can't remember what it's called, but the fried boudain ball smothered in etoufee is my pick at Al T's.  

In a few days, I will be eating at Huck Finn's in Pigeon Forge, Tn.  If you are a fan of frog legs, I've never had any better.  Can't wait!  I know this isn't in the area, but had to throw it out there.

Love frog legs.  Eat one for me.