Sabine Pass cancels the rest of the season?

AggiesAreWe

26 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Care so much about them that you're willing to let the majority have a serious risk for real injury and all a definite risk of embarrassment for the sake of a few (maybe) who pull the shoulder pads that care?  The Little Giants was just a movie, bro.  That's not real world.

I made an argument a couple years ago on this site that I thought that all schools with an enrollment of less than 400 should either close or consolidate (or both).. I was attacked for that opinion of course.  From most people on here.  I have changed my mind somewhat but still feel that the idea remains justified.  Kids no longer learn how to compete for anything, which can be detrimental when they get out of high school.  Your statement is a good example of just what I'm saying.  If a kid truly wants to play football and is willing to do what it takes to become a better athlete, compete for a spot, and be held accountable...then yes.  They should get to experience the Friday night lights..as you put it.  However...at schools like Sabine Pass all you have to do is show up..maybe not even that..and you can get you a letterman jacket.  To me that's quite a disservice to most kids around the country who have to work their tails off and earn a spot on whatever football team they play for.  Or any other activiy..even valedictorian/salutatorian. 

I don't agree with you too often but on this part I do.  For the sake of the well being of the kids, Coach Thibodeaux made the right call. 

Sabine Pass is a district of transfer students with majority from Port Arthur so the demographics are not the same as other districts. Class sizes and boy/girl ratios vary year to year. Kids come and kids go.  If 5 sophomores boy leave they aren't necessarily replaced with 5 sophomores boys.Their athletics struggle 2nd to not having a feeder system or having an idea of who or how many of your players will return. They would like to have a solid football program but can't count on steady numbers. Now if they wanted to have a real program they would actively recruit athletes from Port Arthur like they do their scholars, recent  valedictorians: 2016 Columbia University admit, 2018 Bill Gates scholarship winner turned down MIT due to not offering degree plan for career they're aspiring too.

Guest ECBucFan
10 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

...at schools like Sabine Pass all you have to do is show up..maybe not even that..and you can get you a letterman jacket. 

Thats a horrible statement. You just attacked the young men who suited up and played for Sabine Pass, even as they were playing outnumbered and undermanned, and questioned their work ethic? Are you really calling out the young men as some kind of "slackers" on the team just there for getting a jacket? Really? Unbelievable. 

7 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

Thats a horrible statement. You just attacked the young men who suited up and played for Sabine Pass, even as they were playing outnumbered and undermanned, and questioned their work ethic? Are you really calling out the young men as some kind of "slackers" on the team just there for getting a jacket? Really? Unbelievable. 

I attacked them by saying that schools like Sabine Pass don't require much effort to make the team?... Maybe you're either delusional or don't understand mathematics.  If there are only 11 kids on a football team...everybody is a starter.  20 kids...there's a high liklihood of being a starter.  30 kids...a little tougher to be a starter.  So on and so forth...catch my drift?  So yes.  When there are few kids on a team...especially a on a bad team...everybody is probably going to letter in football.  I didn't call anyone a slacker, I just implied that they COULD BE at a school like Sabine Pass.

If you have a problem with that truth..I don't care.  Life's tough and sports is supposed to be one of the first lessons that there are winners and losers.  There are starters and people that ride the bench.  There is a varsity and there is a JV.  Kids need to learn that when 900 people apply for a job...there will be 899 losers. 

24 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I attacked them by saying that schools like Sabine Pass don't require much effort to make the team?... Maybe you're either delusional or don't understand mathematics.  If there are only 11 kids on a football team...everybody is a starter.  20 kids...there's a high liklihood of being a starter.  30 kids...a little tougher to be a starter.  So on and so forth...catch my drift?  So yes.  When there are few kids on a team...especially a on a bad team...everybody is probably going to letter in football.  I didn't call anyone a slacker, I just implied that they COULD BE at a school like Sabine Pass.

If you have a problem with that truth..I don't care.  Life's tough and sports is supposed to be one of the first lessons that there are winners and losers.  There are starters and people that ride the bench.  There is a varsity and there is a JV.  Kids need to learn that when 900 people apply for a job...there will be 899 losers. 

Amen, most people just don't get it.

Competition is what spawns greatness. If things are just given to you, what is the incentive to work hard. 

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Nobody said anything was given to these kids. Some peoples assumption that the  kids didn't work or didn't compete is so far off base its ridiculous. It takes more HEART to go out on the field as David than it does as Goliath. While winning breeds confidence and expectations; being able to go out their take a loss and separate that from who you are breeds character,  determination and resilience. Which helps them to understand if they are one of the 899 that didn't get the job they lost that particular competition. THEY ARE NOT LOSERS.

20 minutes ago, Spyder53 said:

Nobody said anything was given to these kids. Some peoples assumption that the  kids didn't work or didn't compete is so far off base its ridiculous. It takes more HEART to go out on the field as David than it does as Goliath. While winning breeds confidence and expectations; being able to go out their take a loss and separate that from who you are breeds character,  determination and resilience. Which helps them to understand if they are one of the 899 that didn't get the job they lost that particular competition. THEY ARE NOT LOSERS.

los·er

ˈlo͞ozər/

noun

a person or thing that loses or has lost something, especially a game or contest.

12 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

los·er

ˈlo͞ozər/

noun

a person or thing that loses or has lost something, especially a game or contest.

LOSER :  

: a person who is incompetent or unable to succeed. 

So I guess the same kids that go out there and compete athletically and LOSE A GAME. You know the ones, the same ones that were GIVEN the valedictorian and salutatorian titles and all of the other kids that got academic scholarships are LOSERS. Well I guess if winning a football game makes you a bigger winner than going to college. I rather see our kids lose 10 times on a Friday night in the fall x 3 years; and then take those lessons turn it into a college degree and win for the rest of their lives. So let a Friday night win be the greatest moment of your life. I'd rather reminisce about the event, than long for it because it was the greatest win of my life.

#Don't be a loser off the field. #Quit hating on kids.

7 minutes ago, Spyder53 said:

LOSER :  

: a person who is incompetent or unable to succeed. 

So I guess the same kids that go out there and compete athletically and LOSE A GAME. You know the ones, the same ones that were GIVEN the valedictorian and salutatorian titles and all of the other kids that got academic scholarships are LOSERS. Well I guess if winning a football game makes you a bigger winner than going to college. I rather see our kids lose 10 times on a Friday night in the fall x 3 years; and then take those lessons turn it into a college degree and win for the rest of their lives. So let a Friday night win be the greatest moment of your life. I'd rather reminisce about the event, than long for it because it was the greatest win of my life.

#Don't be a loser off the field. #Quit hating on kids.

I'm not sure how this went so far out into left field...or why you're seeming so butt hurt... but I didn't call anyone a loser and certainly am not hating on kids.  Maybe you should go back and reread all of my posts so you can understand what I'm talking about.  Or maybe not...who knows.  I've said this whole season that they need to fold football for various reason.. like to prevent injury for starters.  It has nothing to do with David vs Goliath. I wouldn't want a 3A football team to play a 6A football team for the same reason...or a JH team play a HS team. After that I offered my opinion on how small schools lack providing competition...which is true...and which is important to learn in life. (above example)

I also think it's funny that you're under the impression that I may be...reliving some type of glory days scenario?..  That's too stupid for a response because I can assure you that you don't know anything about me and are obviously so far off that I'm literally laughing about it.  

21 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

If a kid truly wants to play football and is willing to do what it takes to become a better athlete, compete for a spot, and be held accountable...then yes.  They should get to experience the Friday night lights..as you put it.  However...at schools like Sabine Pass all you have to do is show up..maybe not even that..and you can get you a letterman jacket.  To me that's quite a disservice to most kids around the country who have to work their tails off and earn a spot on whatever football team they play for.  Or any other activiy..even valedictorian/salutatorian. 

Here's where I take exception with you. The insinuation that the kids in the athletic department don't work or don't compete is an insult to the kids. To say that you can walk in and be valedictorian or salutatorian is disrespectful to kids who are 3 and in some cases 4 time state academic champions. Kids who have received Millions of dollars in scholarship and are matriculating through UT, UTSA, UTA, SFA, Lamar. Kids who are serving in the military. You call it what you want to call it, but I'm going to call it what it is. I'm not Ass hurt, but I'm not letting rip or diss Port Arthur/ Sabine Pass kids without saying anything.

17 minutes ago, Spyder53 said:

Here's where I take exception with you. The insinuation that the kids in the athletic department don't work or don't compete is an insult to the kids. To say that you can walk in and be valedictorian or salutatorian is disrespectful to kids who are 3 and in some cases 4 time state academic champions. Kids who have received Millions of dollars in scholarship and are matriculating through UT, UTSA, UTA, SFA, Lamar. Kids who are serving in the military. You call it what you want to call it, but I'm going to call it what it is. I'm not Ass hurt, but I'm not letting rip or diss Port Arthur/ Sabine Pass kids without saying anything.

I didn't say the kids in the athletic department don't work...I said they DON'T HAVE TO.  I also didn't say you could walk in and be valedictorian or salutatorian.. I said there isn't as much competition to do so.  Are you implying that being valedictorian at Sabine Pass is more difficult to do than being valedictorian at a school with 4 or 5 times the enrollment?  or more

There's not one single thing that I typed that is "ripping or dissing"  kids from anywhere.  I invite you to go reread anything I typed and see for yourself.  Perhaps you're getting so defensive because you realize that there's some truth in what I'm saying.

Guest ECBucFan
2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

s·er

ˈlo͞ozər/

noun

I guess with your definition, you would describe our Texas heros at the Alamo "losers" too. They fought valiently but were overwhelmingly outnumbered and finally fell in battle. 

Pathetic. 

Definition of Insinuation 

1: the act or process of 

This is the hidden content, please

2: something that is 

especially : a sly, subtle, and usually derogatory utterance

However...at schools like Sabine Pass all you have to do is show up..maybe not even that..and you can get you a letterman jacket.  

Or any other activiy..even valedictorian/salutatorian. 

Definition of Imply 

2: to involve or indicate by inference, association, or necessary consequence rather than by direct statement

4: to express indirectly

I didn't call anyone a slacker, I just implied that they COULD BE at a school like Sabine Pass.

*** Sir , call it what you want;  but I read what you wrote deduced for me self what was meant. I've said what I had to say and now I'm through with it.

31 minutes ago, Spyder53 said:

Definition of Insinuation 

1: the act or process of 

2: something that is 

especially : a sly, subtle, and usually derogatory utterance

However...at schools like Sabine Pass all you have to do is show up..maybe not even that..and you can get you a letterman jacket.  

Or any other activiy..even valedictorian/salutatorian. 

Definition of Imply 

2: to involve or indicate by inference, association, or necessary consequence rather than by direct statement

4: to express indirectly

I didn't call anyone a slacker, I just implied that they COULD BE at a school like Sabine Pass.

*** Sir , call it what you want;  but I read what you wrote deduced for me self what was meant. I've said what I had to say and now I'm through with it.

I see you picked and chosen two different statements and didn't put the info in between.  That's fine. By the way the only reason I put the definition of the word loser was to show what it technically means.  You're the one that brought it up. If you must know...yes in every single contest there is a winner and there is a loser.  That doesn't mean that the word defines them.  That's one of the things sports can teach us if done correctly.  SP wasn't doing it correctly.  Nice try though.

I'm glad you're through with it because you did a poor job of making feel any differently or have any remorse for what I typed whatsoever.  Don't take it personal, though.. There are several schools I feel the same way about.  We just happened to be talking about Sabine Pass at the moment.

12 minutes ago, bigdog said:

Ok tone it down.  You are real close to the line.

I literally copy and pasted a definition off of google to show that technically...what was brought up by someone else...was technically accurate.  Every week there are 25 games posted in the pickems.  That's 25 winners and 25 losers. See..does that statement mean that I just called 25 teams a bunch of losers?

I didn't call anyone a loser and this is stupid that this conversation is happening.  

17 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I literally copy and pasted a definition off of google to show that technically...what was brought up by someone else...was technically accurate.  Every week there are 25 games posted in the pickems.  That's 25 winners and 25 losers. See..does that statement mean that I just called 25 teams a bunch of losers?

I didn't call anyone a loser and this is stupid that this conversation is happening.  

It’s not just that one quote it’s most of what you have said on this thread.  Tread lightly.

On 9/20/2018 at 1:05 PM, ECBucFan said:

I disagree that there is 15 schools too many in SETX. Do you really want to consolidate SETX in to a few large to very large schools? This would ultimately limit the number of players on the feild on Friday nights. It might cut it clean in half, and that would be terrible. It would deny the Friday night experience to potentially hundreds of young men.       

Well keep watching these schools cancel games for reasons like mosquitoes and 2 or 3 kids getting hurt then. I am not against small school ball, but some schools don’t have the backing to support athletics. 

The numbers are usually about 30 players for the Sharks football team. That's about average for 2a schools, the reason the numbers are down this year has a lot to do with the fact that there are thousands of people that were displaced in Harvey and still haven't returned. Sabine relies on transfers to fuel the numbers for its athletics program.  The fact that there are people on here saying the kids don't have to work is absurd. Do you realize what it means to be a talented athlete at a small school? It means you play every play of every game on both sides of the ball, even speacial teams. You tell me one 5a player that does that. I don't care if the talent level isn't the same, it takes a lot for a kid to do that and put 100% till the buzzer. ESPECIALLY if they are getting beat. Big school players don't have to have the conditioning that small school players have, because they get a break when the ball changes hands. Those athletes at the small schools after football season, are expected to play basketball, and then run track or play baseball. It's tons of work day in day out for a year long. On top of keeping your grades up and staying healthy. Look at the average gpa of Sabine pass and the graduation rate and then compare it to your school.  It's also crazy that anyone would say that the small schools in the area should combine. Do you realize that would put many more kids per teacher in the class room? Which means that there is much less attention given per kid which would more than likely result in a decrease in the level of education that the kids receive. There have been some comments on here that are just out of line and straight up ingorance has been shown. 

On 9/19/2018 at 8:12 AM, Spyder53 said:

After I read the season previews and saw the turnout I told my wife they should cancel football. They just don't have the numbers. There aren't enough kids to scrimmage in practice, not enough kids big enough to play on the lines. There's no JV or freshman teams, which makes it dangerous because you have kids going from middle school football to varsity who aren't ready for JV and in some cases aren't ready for freshman football. I hate to see it because you have kids that want to play just not enough of them. I thank God there were no major injuries before they pulled the plug.

There's no Freshman or Jv football teams at a lot of small schools. I agree with the season being called this year, but if they had normal numbers then it wouldn't be as dangerous even with no freshman or jv teams in place.