Evadale 97 West Hardin 64/FINAL

WOSgrad

9 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

Silsbee just has unreal talent for a school that size if we are being honest .

True, but hasn't their coach been there for quite a long period of time? 

He has definitely created and winning atmosphere and tradition that is conducive for homegrown talent and abilities.

3 minutes ago, 2HandSlam said:

True, but hasn't their coach been there for quite a long period of time? 

He has definitely created and winning atmosphere and tradition that is conducive for homegrown talent and abilities.

He was there a while. Left and came back. They were good when he wasn’t there to. But Silsbee in general has always been good in the court.

37 minutes ago, 2HandSlam said:

I can respect that.

But I would venture to guess that a battle-tested team; one that is challenged most game nights with having to make adjustments and having to work outside of their comfort zones will stand a better chance in big/meaningful games more often than those who coast through an easy district/non-district schedule.

And as far as Big Sandy goes, I'd say, the coach and the system in place is why they are successful. I don't know a lot about Silsbee but I assume it's similar there. 

There is always going to be exceptions...

Battle tested and successful.  There's a difference in scheduling a tough pre-season and figuring out how to win those close games...and not.  I would still rather have a team that has been winning all season and has confidence in not only themselves but their coach.  Even a high school kid is smart enough to figure that a coach may not know what they're talking about if you keep losing games.

29 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

Silsbee just has unreal talent for a school that size if we are being honest .

Same could be said about Big Sandy those couple years.  That's a 2A school with two future college basketball players on it at the same time.  Plus it also helps that they start practice in August...while most everyone else has to wait until whenever football season is over.

12 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I would still rather have a team that has been winning all season and has confidence in not only themselves but their coach.  

You're definitely right.

We will have to agree to disagree...

Especially if you believe that winning "all season" is the only way an athlete can develop confidence in themselves and coaching staff.... 

Great discussion.  A good case study is this years Legacy team.  They have 133 students which equates to a small 2A.  Midway thru the season, they were 5-14 with 12 or 13 games against 3A-6A schools and not all of the players ever available.  It's been a delicate balance of winning (losing), development (of all players), confidence, etc....  They are currently 17-14 and 5-0 in district.  Schedule, development (trial by fire), coaching, confidence, etc... have all been a part of the recent success.  In their case, I don't think they would have been as successful in district had they not gone thru that.  May not hold true for everyone but in this case it seems to have played out well so far.

31 minutes ago, 2HandSlam said:

You're definitely right.

We will have to agree to disagree...

Especially if you believe that winning "all season" is the only way an athlete can develop confidence in themselves and coaching staff.... 

I never said that..and don't believe that.  It was implied that Evadale won because they scheduled a tough pre-season schedule and WH didn't.  I said that a tough pre-season making you better was a myth.  Which is what I believe.  I'm not saying to schedule blowout wins every game...but there's a lot to be said about getting some wins and letting your team full of high school kids learn how to and what it feels like to win.  I've given some examples proving that...I'm sure there are examples contradicting it as well.  I truly believe that in pretty much most small school high school sports it can be guessed pretty accurately how the game will turn out before it starts.  Especially a few weeks into games.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

I never said that..and don't believe that.  It was implied that Evadale won because they scheduled a tough pre-season schedule and WH didn't.  I said that a tough pre-season making you better was a myth.  Which is what I believe.  I'm not saying to schedule blowout wins every game...but there's a lot to be said about getting some wins and letting your team full of high school kids learn how to and what it feels like to win.  I've given some examples proving that...I'm sure there are examples contradicting it as well.  I truly believe that in pretty much most small school high school sports it can be guessed pretty accurately how the game will turn out before it starts.  Especially a few weeks into games.

i suppose following "your shot" is a myth too ? nothing more irritating than a fan yelling at the kids to follow their shot the whole game........kinda like in baseball "rocket fire" or the famous "squish the bug". i know i took this off subject but i do agree with mr. old school here on this subject. we "evadale" are good because we have some pretty good hard working kids.

18 minutes ago, joeisbell said:

i suppose following "your shot" is a myth too ? nothing more irritating than a fan yelling at the kids to follow their shot the whole game........kinda like in baseball "rocket fire" or the famous "squish the bug". i know i took this off subject but I do agree with mr. old school here on this subject. we "evadale" are good because we have some pretty good hard working kids.

My most hated saying in all of the sports.  If you're thinking about running to the rim as soon as the ball leaves your hand because you know you're going to miss..then the answer is no.  You do not need to shoot.  And yes I can make that statement...I've hit a few outside shots in my day.

33 minutes ago, joeisbell said:

i suppose following "your shot" is a myth too ? nothing more irritating than a fan yelling at the kids to follow their shot the whole game........kinda like in baseball "rocket fire" or the famous "squish the bug". i know i took this off subject but i do agree with mr. old school here on this subject. we "evadale" are good because we have some pretty good hard working kids.

14 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

My most hated saying in all of the sports.  If you're thinking about running to the rim as soon as the ball leaves your hand because you know you're going to miss..then the answer is no.  You do not need to shoot.  And yes I can make that statement...I've hit a few outside shots in my day.

Something we can all agree on!

12 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

Something we can all agree on!

With "Over the back!".. coming in at a close 2nd.  The unicorn foul.

Either (A) one of the players has established rebounding position...in which case the correct call is a "Push". Or (B) neither of the players have rebounding position...in which case it's pretty much a jump ball.  Meaning whichever player can get to it... gets it.  As long as no physical contact is made that may have kept the other from doing so.  Those 2 sayings literally make my eyes twitch.