National Signing Day Thread

dBerrySports

4 hours ago, bigdog said:

Especially since for about 99% of kids playing college ball this as far as they will go in football.

Here are some interesting numbers:

This is the hidden content, please

I always love seeing those numbers. So many of us thought we were going to the league, especially if we started as freshmen at a FBS school. It just ain't that easy. Lol. Get that degree!

16 hours ago, bigdog said:

Especially since for about 99% of kids playing college ball this as far as they will go in football.

Here are some interesting numbers:

This is the hidden content, please

Yes.  The numbers are staggering.  And they're fairly similar will all sports.  I read one time that the chances of getting an athletic scholarship are the highest in women's golf.  Which is still less than a 2% chance.

I always use basketball as an example (ex college player).  Not only the vast numbers of high school seniors..but also every kid that plays at at junior college and every 18/19/20 year old that plays overseas that would love to play college ball in the states.  Number of D1 schollies given every year...about 4000.  And like those numbers suggest it is quite a feat.  I think there's about a 3% chance of a high school athlete making a college roster.  Of all of those college athletes there's about a 1% chance of turning pro.

I really wish people would be honest with their kids about it.  If a kid wants to know they should just ask me.

"Think I could play college ball?"  What's your GPA?  "What's that?" Nope.  How tall is your daddy?  "5.." Nope.  What's your 40 time? "5.." Nope.  What's your vertical leap? "Twenty..." Nope.

3 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Yes.  The numbers are staggering.  And they're fairly similar will all sports.  I read one time that the chances of getting an athletic scholarship are the highest in women's golf.  Which is still less than a 2% chance.

I always use basketball as an example (ex college player).  Not only the vast numbers of high school seniors..but also every kid that plays at at junior college and every 18/19/20 year old that plays overseas that would love to play college ball in the states.  Number of D1 schollies given every year...about 4000.  And like those numbers suggest it is quite a feat.  I think there's about a 3% chance of a high school athlete making a college roster.  Of all of those college athletes there's about a 1% chance of turning pro.

I really wish people would be honest with their kids about it.  If a kid wants to know they should just ask me.

"Think I could play college ball?"  What's your GPA?  "What's that?" Nope.  How tall is your daddy?  "5.." Nope.  What's your 40 time? "5.." Nope.  What's your vertical leap? "Twenty..." Nope.

I have no problem with kids getting athletic scholarships to college, as long as they finish their degree to have something use when their athletic days are done.   FYI,  I saw that Adrian Foster is going back to get a degree in Physics now that he is retired from the NFL which I am all for, as the statistics show that the average NFL career is 3 years and most players don't make enough money to last them the rest of their life.  Especially since most are in their late 20's or early 30's when the NFL ride ends.

11 minutes ago, bigdog said:

I have no problem with kids getting athletic scholarships to college, as long as they finish their degree to have something use when their athletic days are done.   FYI,  I saw that Adrian Foster is going back to get a degree in Physics now that he is retired from the NFL which I am all for, as the statistics show that the average NFL career is 3 years and most players don't make enough money to last them the rest of their life.  Especially since most are in their late 20's or early 30's when the NFL ride ends.

Truth.

• 1 month later...