Bull Frogs

We have been tearing up the frogs last few weeks. Cooking them fresh every Sunday.......Here is my question.

We have been frying them just like my grandparents used to.....We have been experimenting with time, wanting them cooked but not over cooked......The problem is they can get chewy. The calf meat is fine, but the thigh's sometimes are so chewy you can't break them down........Anyone know of a solution? 

15 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

We have been tearing up the frogs last few weeks. Cooking them fresh every Sunday.......Here is my question.

We have been frying them just like my grandparents used to.....We have been experimenting with time, wanting them cooked but not over cooked......The problem is they can get chewy. The calf meat is fine, but the thigh's sometimes are so chewy you can't break them down........Anyone know of a solution? 

I sometimes use lime/lemon juice to marinate my meat helps tenderize it.....

30 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

With a good hot oil, around 350-365, it should take between 5 and 7 minutes to cook. How long are you cooking them? If more than one batch, are you letting the oil come back to temp before frying them?

Yes, using gas outside with thermometer. That is the range we been frying them in. Maybe creek frogs are a little tough.....lol

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

With a good hot oil, around 350-365, it should take between 5 and 7 minutes to cook. How long are you cooking them? If more than one batch, are you letting the oil come back to temp before frying them?

That's it right there...hot oil and short time in the oil.

Most folks cook too long and they get tough.

• 4 weeks later...