This Board Needs....

baddog

4 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Pulp Fiction is in my top 10 for sure.  Was my favorite of Tarantino’s (and he’s definitely one of my favorite directors) but Once Upon a Time in Hollywood may have surpassed it for me.  It was incredible too I thought.  

It was a great movie...Brad Pitt did a great job in it, especially the Bruce Lee scene. 😎

2 hours ago, baddog said:

The Green Mile

Shawshank Redemption

What’s can I say? I like Stephen King. Read The Green Mile  first, then saw the movie. It was unbelievable how the scenes and characters were the same as I pictured in my mind. 

It was really cool. I was in college when it came out. It was a series of like 10 mini paperbacks. I’d read it the day it came out then have to wait for the next release. 

10 hours ago, baddog said:

The Green Mile

Shawshank Redemption

What’s can I say? I like Stephen King. Read The Green Mile  first, then saw the movie. It was unbelievable how the scenes and characters were the same as I pictured in my mind. 

Same, same and same.  

Shawshank is one I watch any time I see it on.  Without fail.  

8 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

It was really cool. I was in college when it came out. It was a series of like 10 mini paperbacks. I’d read it the day it came out then have to wait for the next release. 

My wife and I were engaged when they were coming out.  We bought the first one as an audio book when we were going somewhere.  Then we would go get the new ones as soon as they came out.  If we didn’t have somewhere to go, we would find somewhere.  I remember vividly having to pull over to the side of the road during the last one (somewhere between Jasper and Zavala as I recall).   I remember discussing the John Coffey/Jesus Christ comparison.  Great memories.  

My wife devours anything King as soon as it’s released.   And we both agree that 100 years from now, he will he THE great American novelist (not that he isn’t already).  Hemingway, Fitzgerald, etc are great, but no one has been as great AND prolific as King.  Nobody. 

10 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

That’s weird because I saw all the mini paperbacks and didn’t want to start into it and one day realize that I had missed one and I didn’t want to wait. Lol. It finally came out in one paperback and I got it. Insomnia is the best book I have ever read. It’s about an 800 page hardback but worth the read. Unbelievable how he can describe people and things.....makes you the proverbial “fly on the wall”. As with most King novels, about 25-50 pages in and you can’t put it down. After Insomnia, I like Desperation. I don’t think there is another author who has had more movies made from his novels than King.

I have read a lot of Stephen King but, of course, not all.

1 hour ago, baddog said:

That’s weird because I saw all the mini paperbacks and didn’t want to start into it and one day realize that I had missed one and I didn’t want to wait. Lol. It finally came out in one paperback and I got it. Insomnia is the best book I have ever read. It’s about an 800 page hardback but worth the read. Unbelievable how he can describe people and things.....makes you the proverbial “fly on the wall”. As with most King novels, about 25-50 pages in and you can’t put it down. After Insomnia, I like Desperation. I don’t think there is another author who has had more movies made from his novels than King.

I have read a lot of Stephen King but, of course, not all.

Did you ever read “Tommyknockers”?

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

My wife and I were engaged when they were coming out.  We bought the first one as an audio book when we were going somewhere.  Then we would go get the new ones as soon as they came out.  If we didn’t have somewhere to go, we would find somewhere.  I remember vividly having to pull over to the side of the road during the last one (somewhere between Jasper and Zavala as I recall).   I remember discussing the John Coffey/Jesus Christ comparison.  Great memories.  

My wife devours anything King as soon as it’s released.   And we both agree that 100 years from now, he will he THE great American novelist (not that he isn’t already).  Hemingway, Fitzgerald, etc are great, but no one has been as great AND prolific as King.  Nobody. 

I read all of King's stuff too, just don't read any of the horror books late at night! Lol I only made that mistake once! 

9 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Did you ever read “Tommyknockers”?

Unfortunately, no. A couple of paperbacks I really enjoyed were “4 Past Midnight” which had 4 short stories....The Langoliers, Secret Window, Secret Garden, The Library Policeman, and The Sun Dog. Another novella was “Nightmares and Dreamscapes” with Dolan’s Cadillac and Popsy (you don’t want to meet Popsy) just to name a few. I really need to catch up on some reading but at my age, I go to sleep real easily. Lol

50 minutes ago, baddog said:

Unfortunately, no. A couple of paperbacks I really enjoyed were “4 Past Midnight” which had 4 short stories....The Langoliers, Secret Window, Secret Garden, The Library Policeman, and The Sun Dog. Another novella was “Nightmares and Dreamscapes” with Dolan’s Cadillac and Popsy (you don’t want to meet Popsy) just to name a few. I really need to catch up on some reading but at my age, I go to sleep real easily. Lol

Nightshift is a book of short stories by Stephen King. Good reading if you don’t wanna get too deep into a book. 

51 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Goodfellas for “crime,” Tombstone for “western,” Full Metal Jacket for “war,” O Brother Where Art Thou for “comedy.”

Honorables:

Urban Cowboy

The Unforgiven

Personal Fave: “The Apostle” with Robert Duvall

Good picks!
“The Apostle”...what a freakin GREAT movie.