Kayak

drewlsu

I'm in the market for a kayak.  Never owned one before.

What recommendation do y'all have?

I will use it primarily for fishing.  I would use it in the surf when smooth, in the bay, rivers, lake, wherever...

I think I've decided on a sit-on-top style but would like some input.

WYG?!

I have very little knowledge about kayaks but I see a kayak club meeting sometimes when I go to Daley's in Nederland. I think it is the Salt Water Boys kayak club and they have a weekly or monthly meeting there. 

I think they could provide a lot of face to face information to someone looking to get into it for a hobby. I see that they have a link to their homepage on Daley's website. You could also read their forums at 

www.saltwaterboysfishing.com

You can also go to Daley's site at daleyshf.com under events and find a link to the club's tournament schedule. I know that you are not likely concerned about tournament fishIng but am guessing that those guys are a wealth of information. 

Speaking of Kayaks, i wish they'd get out of the way out at Keith Lake.  It sure seems like they feel that because their boat is smaller and they don't have a motor that they don't have to follow the proper fishing etiquette when it comes to giving people space and not boating through their fishing area.  I'm also curious why there's a new boat ramp at keith lake, but it's gated off, but several kayakers appear to have a key to open the gate so that they can launch there.

Here's another site I check regularly.

This is the hidden content, please

I haven't owned one but have considered it for some time. From what I gather the kayak investment for fishing is the easy part. All the accessories that it takes to fish right and be safe adds up. That's why I would consider a used one that's already rigged. 12' to 14' is preferred by those that go BTB, fish the surf. I also hear Pelicans flip too easy.