Local Players in College / Pro Action

Lumberton

Sea Dogs' Buchholz finally gets support

By BRIAN MORITZ, Special to the Press Herald

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - Chalk up another milestone in the young career of Portland Sea Dogs pitcher Clay Buchholz.

Buchholz, one of Boston's top prospects, picked up his first Double-A victory Sunday afternoon. He tossed five strong innings as the Sea Dogs beat the Binghamton Mets 8-3 in the finale of a three-game series at NYSEG Stadium.

Buchholz (1-1) struck out eight and scattered six hits while giving up two runs. He was winless in his first four starts for the Sea Dogs despite allowing just four earned runs and 12 hits in

This is the hidden content, please

Westbrook's Jason Tyner

Schilling, Red Sox Edge Twins

POSTED: 5:22 pm CDT May 6, 2007

Minneapolis, MN -- (Sports Network) - Curt Schilling hurled six-plus solid innings, and J.D. Drew drove in a pair of runs as Boston edged Minnesota, 4-3, in the rubber match of a three-game set at the Metrodome.

Schilling (4-1) surrendered three runs on eight hits in 6 2/3 innings while fanning seven and walking just two for the Red Sox, who have won four of five games. Jonathan Papelbon pitched a perfect ninth to earn his 10th save of the year.

"We are pitching our butts off," Schilling said. "This pitching staff has been exceptional and it's one of the reasons you look at this team and know we have a chance to be a great team."

Kevin Youkilis and Jason Varitek drove in a run apiece for Boston.

Torii Hunter extended his hitting streak to a career-best 21 games, going 2- for-4 with an RBI for the Twins, who have lost four of five contests. Jason Tyner added a two-run single.

Nederland's Brian Sanches

Lynx 4, Red Wings 2

ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Zack Segovia pitched 5 2/3 strong innings as Ottawa defeated Rochester.

Segovia (1-4) allowed two runs on five hits and three walks to record his first win of the season after five starts.

Kane Davis and Joseph Bisenius combined on 2 1/3 scoreless innings and Brian Sanches worked around two hits in the ninth to notch his fifth save.

Gary Burnham delivered an RBI double in the first inning and scored on Chris Coste's single for the Lynx (14-12). Jim Rushford padded the lead in the sixth with a run-scoring single.

WOS John Patterson

Nationals Put Patterson On 15-Day DL

By Barry Svrluga

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, May 7, 2007; Page E09

CHICAGO, May 6 -- The Washington Nationals placed right-hander John Patterson on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with what the team is calling "right elbow biceps soreness," the latest setback in the star-crossed pitcher's injury-plagued career.

Westbrook's Jason Tyner, LCM's Clayton Elhert, PNG's Josh Stinson

Aggies sweep Dallas Baptist, improve RPI

By Lanny Hayes

Websider.com Senior Baseball Writer

Posted May 7, 2007

The No. 11 Aggies completed the sweep this weekend against Dallas Baptist, which was mandatory in order to keep their national seed hopes alive.

This is the hidden content, please

San Jac won the Regional at Blinn going 4-0. They are heading for the JUCO DIV I College World Series in Junction City, CO

Local players Kevin Angelle (BC) and Jamie Bagley (Huffman)

Congrats to San Jac, you will enjoy Grand Junction without a dought, been there twice. BESURE and get a pic of the brass statue of 'Casey at the Bat' inside the park. I have a pic taken in 99 at JUCO with 5 Tx boys with 4 being from the Golden Tri. all on the same team >Seminole State College. Looks like San Jac will play Cowley (Ark City) this is the team my son pitched for on his second trip to the series. Should be a awesome fireworks display before the game.

Nederland's Lemire Named All-America

Tyler Junior College sophomores Michael Wilson and Brock Lemire are first-team All-Americans for NJCAA Division III baseball.

Also, TJC sophomore Jose Molina was named a Rawlings Gold Glove winner at shortstop.

The announcement was made Sunday night following the Apaches' 11-1 victory over Massasoit (Mass.) Community College at Mike Carter Field.

Wilson, a pitcher from Covington, is 13-1 on the season with a 1.26 ERA.

Lemire, a third baseman from Nederland, is hitting .449 with 10 home runs and 62 RBIs.

TJC freshman outfielder Clint Stroud made third-team All-American. Stroud is hitting .402 with four home runs and 57 RBIs.

Does anyone have any info on how Clay Buchholtz is doing. last i heard he was like #1 prospect pitcher in Redsox minor leauge system... any updates on how he is doing. we need to be supporting this boy he is going far. 8)

Boston Red Sox - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog - Boston.comIt looks like he'll oppose Sox prospect Clay Buchholz Wednesday in Trenton. ... NEW YORK - Will Roger Clemens show up as a spectator tonight? ...

www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/ - May 22, 2007 - Similar pages

Boston Red Sox - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog - Boston.comIt looks like he'll oppose Sox prospect Clay Buchholz Wednesday in Trenton. ... NEW YORK - Will Roger Clemens show up as a spectator tonight? ...

www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/ - May 22, 2007 - Similar pages

wow thanks man... everyone needs to read this. if you go down to where it talks about francona it says where he is talking about clay. it goes on to say that when Roger Clemens pitched his return game in the minors francona started Clay against him... WOW. Good old Lumberton Boy going against a great. Thanks for that link ;D 8) :o

How did the game come out?????

Brock Lemire was selected as the NJCAA Div. III  Player of the year. He was also selected as a 1st Team All American. Was the MVP of theWorld Series which they won. TJC beat Joliet ILL. 13 to 5  Brock went 3 for 4 in the Championship game.

Click on the site below and check out the video from the local news.

http://www.ketknbc.com/sports/local/7736247.html

• 2 weeks later...

Relievers Ryan Madson, Brian Sanches, Clay Condrey and Antonio Alfonseca made that work, tossing six scoreless innings. The Phillies are 11-5 in Hamels' starts.

While the state of Hawaii will likely celebrate Victorino's winning hit, Texas was well represented with Sanches, Condrey and Michael Bourn, who had three hits and two RBIs. Sanches and Condrey are both from Beaumont, while Bourn is from Houston.

"We'll take that for the Lone Star State," said Condrey, who tossed a five-pitch eighth inning and joked, "When was the last time you saw me do that?"

Victorino's double gave Sanches his first Major League win in his 21st Major League appearance. He got the scorecard and a ball from an umpire's pouch, since Antonio Alfonseca tossed the final out into the stands.

"I guess [the] 21st is the charm," Sanches said.

Whether the charm carries over remains unknown, the Phillies take satisfaction from a road trip in which they likely lost Jon Lieber for the season. Philadelphia recovered from a 1-2 trip through Cleveland with a 2-1 trek through St. Louis.

"That's why I tell you to play," Manuel said. "You have to play. You don't have a crystal ball, so you keep right on playing. You don't ever know what's going to happen. Hopefully, it's good. Today was good."