adminbaberuth

Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

730 posts in this topic

I was told - by a 35 year+ HS coach, still coaching -  that only relief pitchers can go back in.  NOT starters

Never coached HS Baseball I don't know

ART. 2 . . . If a pitcher is replaced while his team is on defense, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute for that batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until a third out has been made. To ensure that the requirements of this article be fulfilled, the umpire will deny any coach-defensive player conference that will violate the rule. If a pitcher is incapacitated or guilty of flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct, this rule is ignored. A player may be removed as pitcher and returned as pitcher only once per inning, provided the return as pitcher does not violate either the pitching, substitution or charged conference rule. If the pitcher, because of an injury or being incapacitated, is replaced as pitcher and the above rule is not satisfied, or if his replacement requires more warm-up throws than permitted in 6-2-2 exception, he cannot return to the game as a pitcher.

Article 2 of the handbook makes no reference to starter or reliever. IDK. 

MrUmp1 likes this

9 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

ART. 2 . . . If a pitcher is replaced while his team is on defense, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute for that batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until a third out has been made. To ensure that the requirements of this article be fulfilled, the umpire will deny any coach-defensive player conference that will violate the rule. If a pitcher is incapacitated or guilty of flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct, this rule is ignored. A player may be removed as pitcher and returned as pitcher only once per inning, provided the return as pitcher does not violate either the pitching, substitution or charged conference rule. If the pitcher, because of an injury or being incapacitated, is replaced as pitcher and the above rule is not satisfied, or if his replacement requires more warm-up throws than permitted in 6-2-2 exception, he cannot return to the game as a pitcher.

Article 2 of the handbook makes no reference to starter or reliever. IDK. 

Yes I just googeled it - what is a charged conference rule?  Also, the doc I referenced noted something about the 1st batter either reaching 1st base or being called out????

IDK

18 hours ago, Whoa said:

Yes I just googeled it - what is a charged conference rule?  Also, the doc I referenced noted something about the 1st batter either reaching 1st base or being called out????

IDK

Its referencing the starting pitcher. The starter has to complete the first at bat (batter gets on base or records an out), barring an injury.