Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

1 hour ago, MrUmp1 said:

Sounds like the ump called a swing and hit by pitch. Only going on the hands were in the strike zone. Just a guess from your statement. Just cause your hands is in strike zone does not constitute a swing. 

Girl never swung.  The ball hit her in the leg, not in a part of the body in the zone.  He called it a strike, because her hands/arms were in the zone.

Had a play a couple of weeks ago, ball hits corner of pitchers rubber then careens between 3rd and home striking a runner (in foul territory) I called ball foul then was called everything in the book by the coach of team in field. I know I got it right but also know the coach looks at your page so looking for some backup.

1 hour ago, Ty Cobb said:

Why is this a foul ball?  

Because it did not meet this definition:  

“ART. 1 . . . A fair ball is a batted ball which:

a. settles on fair territory between home and third base or between home and first base; or

b. contacts fair ground on or beyond an imaginary line between first and third base; or

c. is on or over fair ground when bounding to the outfield past first or third base; or

d. first falls on fair ground on or beyond first or third base; or

e. touches first, second or third base; or

f. while on or over fair territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, their clothing or equipment; or

g. while over fair ground passes out of the playing field in flight.

1. A fly ball or line drive, which passes over or inside first or third base in flight and curves to foul ground beyond such base, is not a fair hit; but a hit which goes over or through the fence is a fair hit if it is over fair ground when it leaves the field.

1 hour ago, Ty Cobb said:

Does this situation fall under rule "b"?  I was under the assumption that if the ball hit the mound/pitching rubber it would be considered a fair ball.  I learned something new today.

You have to love a rule that talks about imaginary lines.

On April 19, 2017 at 1:43 PM, MrUmp1 said:

At an Astros game years ago, at the dome, they actually had this question on you make the call and I got it wrong. Rodney Morgan was with me and he got it right. That's why I never forget it. 

A rare occurrence.  Has this situation arose where you had to call it?  One of those I bet causes discussion with coaches every time.  I'm surprised at the number of fans that don't know the situation of an infield fly rule.  Surely most coaches do.

• 4 weeks later...

We had a situation come up in yesterdays Silsbee Bridge City game 2 that I thought I would ask the expert.

It was the top of the 4th and a line drive was hit down 1st base line, the first base umpire immediately threw up his hands, as you do to call a foul ball.  Then he immediately started pointing fair.  This play resulted in a triple.  As you can imagine, the BC coach went out and had discussions with the umpires.  The umpires came together to have a discussion, where I was told that the 1st base umpire admitted he threw his hands up first.  The result was not was over turned and the triple stood.

In all of the years that I have been around the game, when an umpire puts his hands up, he is calling foul ball, and the ball is dead, regardless of whether it really was or not.  Is this the case?  If so, shouldn't the home plate umpire have over turned the call and made the hit a foul ball especially with an umpire admitting to the call?

6 hours ago, BC87 said:

We had a situation come up in yesterdays Silsbee Bridge City game 2 that I thought I would ask the expert.

It was the top of the 4th and a line drive was hit down 1st base line, the first base umpire immediately threw up his hands, as you do to call a foul ball.  Then he immediately started pointing fair.  This play resulted in a triple.  As you can imagine, the BC coach went out and had discussions with the umpires.  The umpires came together to have a discussion, where I was told that the 1st base umpire admitted he threw his hands up first.  The result was not was over turned and the triple stood.

In all of the years that I have been around the game, when an umpire puts his hands up, he is calling foul ball, and the ball is dead, regardless of whether it really was or not.  Is this the case?  If so, shouldn't the home plate umpire have over turned the call and made the hit a foul ball especially with an umpire admitting to the call?

Did anybody stop? If they didn't it's no different then pointing wromg direction then pointing the right way. Play on.

12 hours ago, MrUmp1 said:

If the umpire did not verbalize foul ball and he quickly pointed fair and it did not effect play then play on. 

10 hours ago, fox said:

the out fielder slowed up thinking the ball was called foul.

It definitely affected the play.

• 3 weeks later...

Question about a balk call that was called on us in state tourney.  Runner on third, batter steps out after pitcher started his wind up, blue does not call time.  Pitcher stops, which he shouldn't do.  3rd base blue calls balk.  In talking to a TASO ump buddy of mine, he said should not have been a balk because the batter can never cause a balk.  What say you?

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic