Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

30 minutes ago, MrUmp1 said:

I had a ball last night that was fair for 4 seconds then the wind blew it in foul ground, Guess I missed that one !!!!!!!

I had a ball last night, too. Went to the rodeo.

Ok question: I once touched a ball........fair or foul ? I say foul.

• 2 weeks later...

Rule question. Ball is thrown to 3rd baseman and tag is made on sliding runner.. Clearly out... 3rd baseman takes 2 or 3 jogs toward pitchers mound after tag and flips ball from glove ( no transfer to open hand) and ball hits ground... Your call

Happen to us (HJ) in Halletsville tourney, base ump called runner safe after ball hit ground. As a TASO ump myself I think the ump booted it as the 3rd baseman showed control of the ball, but have a remote doubt on my thoughts as the ball never went to open hand. I know that rule has changed somewhat on double play calls but did it change on fly balls and tags?

• 2 weeks later...

You have runners at first and third. Runner on first gets in a run down makes contact with a fielder that doesn't have the ball diving back to first. Obstruction is called the runner at third never left the bag but they award the runner at first second base on the obstruction call. Is this the correct call?

On 3/29/2016 at 7:47 AM, Lions said:

You have runners at first and third. Runner on first gets in a run down makes contact with a fielder that doesn't have the ball diving back to first. Obstruction is called the runner at third never left the bag but they award the runner at first second base on the obstruction call. Is this the correct call?

Yes, not all runners are awarded a base. 

5 hours ago, MrUmp1 said:

Yes, not all runners are awarded a base. 

The runner that was awarded second base was going back to first.  Obstruction was called as he was diving back to the bag.  I thought if he was put out after the the obstruction call, he was awarded the bag he was going back to, not given the next bag.

49 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

The runner that was awarded second base was going back to first.  Obstruction was called as he was diving back to the bag.  I thought if he was put out after the the obstruction call, he was awarded the bag he was going back to, not given the next bag.

“ART. 2 . . . When a runner is obstructed while advancing or returning to a base, the umpire shall award the obstructed runner a minimum of one base beyond his position on base when the obstruction occurred. The umpire shall award the obstructed runner and each other runner(s) any additional bases that would nullify the obstruction.”

Excerpt From: NFHS & Elliot Hopkins. “2015 Baseball Rules Book.” iBooks.

This is the hidden content, please

• 1 month later...

Happened in LCM vs WOS game today. What is the official ruling on the play in which there is one out runners on second and third. Fly out to the outfield for out two. Runner on third scores and runner on second goes to third. Appeal at second for that runner leaving early and is called out for leaving early but the runner from third to home- run counts. I think that is the correct call but the same exact play happened in the B.C. vs WOS game and the run did not count. What is the right call?

20 minutes ago, 78Stang said:

Happened in LCM vs WOS game today. What is the official ruling on the play in which there is one out runners on second and third. Fly out to the outfield for out two. Runner on third scores and runner on second goes to third. Appeal at second for that runner leaving early and is called out for leaving early but the runner from third to home- run counts. I think that is the correct call but the same exact play happened in the B.C. vs WOS game and the run did not count. What is the right call?

Pretty sure the run counts.  Play is no longer a force play and becomes a time play. 

Of course, I relinquish all decisions to those that are experts.  lol.

11 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

Pretty sure the run counts.  Play is no longer a force play and becomes a time play. 

Of course, I relinquish all decisions to those that are experts.  lol.

Ok, so bases are loaded with 1 out in the bottom of the 7th inning of a 2-2 ballgame.  Deep fly ball is hit to right field for the second out, runner at 3rd tags and scores but runner at second doesn't tag and moves up to third.  Throw goes into second base to double the guy off for advancing without tagging up.  Your saying the run counts and the game is over?

3 minutes ago, Arsenal9 said:

Ok, so bases are loaded with 1 out in the bottom of the 7th inning of a 2-2 ballgame.  Deep fly ball is hit to right field for the second out, runner at 3rd tags and scores but runner at second doesn't tag and moves up to third.  Throw goes into second base to double the guy off for advancing without tagging up.  Your saying the run counts and the game is over?

Situation above was 2nd & 3rd, not bases loaded.  No force play.  

Again,  I defer to the experts with a CURRENT rule book.

2 hours ago, Silsbee92 said:

Situation above was 2nd & 3rd, not bases loaded.  No force play.  

Again,  I defer to the experts with a CURRENT rule book.

This one is tough for me to figure out, since runner at second didn't tag it is not a typical force out.  If the throw from the outfield went anywhere but to second or a cut off man I would think the run may count but if it went directly to second for the second out, I would say it didn't count just like a regular double play.  If the pitcher or another appealed to second after the play then run scores.  Just my thoughts not sure or really have rules expertise to go on

Sorry just got up. This is not a force play out. That makes it a timing play. As long as the runner from third crosses home before the appeal is made the run counts. People get confused because it seems like it is a force out but it is not it is an appeal out. Run counts. Had this on test too many times. 

13 hours ago, Arsenal9 said:

“8.2.2 SITUATION B: With the bases loaded and one out, a fly ball is hit to deep center field and caught. The runner on third legally tags and advances to home plate. The runner on second leaves before the ball is touched by the center fielder. With runners now standing on third and second base, and before a pitch, the defense is granted time and verbally appeals that the runner on second left the base too early. RULING: This is a valid appeal and the runner is declared out. The run scoring on the proper tag-up from third base will count.”

Excerpt From: NFHS & Elliot Hopkins. “2015 Baseball Case Book.” iBooks.

This is the hidden content, please

Correct me if I am wrong Mr. Ump

1. Coaches (little league and select) there is no "out" nor ejection for a thrown bat by the batter (unless intentional out of anger (ejection),  or interferes with the ball or fielder (out). As umpire we can warn the coach and remove the player for a safety violation if it occurs again. Most umpire's would not go to this extreme unless there was contact to a player or umpire. 

2. An appeal on a call MUST go through the umpire that made the call, no umpire (including plate umpire) can over call another umpires call without that umpire allowing the coach to have an appeal. 

Within the past month I have been berated by coaches and fans on these same two scenarios on 3 different occasions. 

2 hours ago, MoFo said:

Correct me if I am wrong Mr. Ump

1. Coaches (little league and select) there is no "out" nor ejection for a thrown bat by the batter (unless intentional out of anger (ejection),  or interferes with the ball or fielder (out). As umpire we can warn the coach and remove the player for a safety violation if it occurs again. Most umpire's would not go to this extreme unless there was contact to a player or umpire. 

2. An appeal on a call MUST go through the umpire that made the call, no umpire (including plate umpire) can over call another umpires call without that umpire allowing the coach to have an appeal. 

Within the past month I have been berated by coaches and fans on these same two scenarios on 3 different occasions. 

You are 100% correct on both.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MalakoffMan said:

Obstruction means you are awarded the base where you were headed at the time of contact. You do not automatically advance to the next base!

“ART. 2 . . . When a runner is obstructed while advancing or returning to a base, the umpire shall award the obstructed runner a minimum of one base beyond his position on base when the obstruction occurred. The umpire shall award the obstructed runner and each other runner(s) any additional bases that would nullify the obstruction.”

A runner diving back into first has already acquired that bag that is why he is awarded 2nd. Rule is fairly clear. 

Obstruction is needed when there has been contact before a runner has been declared "out." Follow closely now, if a runner is hung up between 1B and 2B and gets hit by a fielder on his way back to 1B in the process of being tagged out, he is awarded 1B because that is THE base he has not yet acquired. Same scenario if a runner is tripped up by 3rd basemen rounding 3B and falls down then is tagged out @ home, he gets home. If a runner is tripped up by 3rd basemen rounding 3B and falls down but then stops and goes back to 3B, he stays at 3B because there was no runner tagged out because of obstruction. The key word here is if a runner is out, then obstruction applies... I don't need to quote a paragraph, this is the way it's been since beginning of time.

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic