Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

Yes.

There is also a catcher's box. That one is enforced about 0% of the time.

A lot of people don't know the rule about being in the catchers box. The catcher has to be in the box "at the time of the pitch". When is the time of the pitch? Most people think it's when it leaves his hand. Most people are wrong. Time of the pitch is when a pitcher makes a move that commits him to deliver the pitch. So from the wind up, that first lttle rocking he does before he steps with his non pivot foot is "time of the pitch". It comes in to play when we award bases too. A runner may be standing on the next base when a pitcher lets go but if he wasnt there before "time of the pitch" his reward comes from the previous base.   BAM..that's the sound of ol teeboan dropping some knowledge on ya...lol

Hard Line drive down 1st base line...while ball is in the air the 1st baseman attempts to catch it but doesnt and his momentum knocks the ball towards and lands in foul territory (this is all beyond first base). First baseman was in fair territory when he touched the ball. Fair or Foul?

Hard Line drive down 1st base line...while ball is in the air the 1st baseman attempts to catch it but doesnt and his momentum knocks the ball towards and lands in foul territory (this is all beyond first base). First baseman was in fair territory when he touched the ball. Fair or Foul?

It is where the ball is at time of contact by player. If the fielder contacts ball while he is in fair territory but the ball is in foul territory, it is a foul ball. In your case, if the ball passed the bag fair and player knocked it foul, it is a fair ball.

• 1 month later...
I saw this in a video the other day. Pitch is made, runner takes off from 2nd trying to steal third. Catcher gets up and sidearms the ball towards third hitting the batter who is still in the same spot he was in in the batters box.
What is the ruling?

Rule 7  Sec 3 Art 2 :  A batter shall not hit the ball fair or foul while either foot or knee is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box or touching home plate.

PENALTY:  The ball becomes dead immediately and the batter is out.

Thanks, Skeet. I argued this call several years ago in Orangefield.  I was OK as long as the umpire said he did not see it.  On the 4th AB of the game he saw it and told me that indeed the batter was out of the box when he hit the double to the gap, but his foot was "STILL IN THE AIR"! I calmly informed him that barry bonds couldn't accomplish that feat. Did not get kicked out of game, but close.

Umpires very rarely see that unless it is brought to their attention and they are looking for it.  Even if they do suspect it might be close they wont call it because often times the chalk is wiped away and its just a guessing game as to where the box was.  You will see this rule enforced more times when a batter squares to bunt and his foot is touching the plate on contact.

• 4 weeks later...

Runner at 3B steals home, umpire calls safe at the plate. Pitched ball arrives after safe call, hits batter. Dead ball, runner back to 3rd and batter awarded 1B. Correct? 

​Mr Coit called a real Guru and you are correct Admin. I was ask this question last night and I said since the runner had acquired the base before the dead ball then he was safe. We all learned on this one!!! 

​Mr Coit called a real Guru and you are correct Admin. I was ask this question last night and I said since the runner had acquired the base before the dead ball then he was safe. We all learned on this one!!! 

Thanks Mr.Ump. It was in my game last night and Blue allowed the run to score. I didn't realize that my batter was awarded 1st till after the inning when I asked him did the ball hit you. 

Runner at 3B steals home, umpire calls safe at the plate. Pitched ball arrives after safe call, hits batter. Dead ball, runner back to 3rd and batter awarded 1B. Correct? 

​The key here is what base had the runner acquired at the time of the pitch. Time of the pitch is when the pitcher has committed himself to delivering the pitch to the batter. The runners must return to the last base acquired at the time of pitch on a hit batter.

• 8 months later...
10 hours ago, VP93.... said:

Runners are stealing, catcher throws ball hits

batters bat, ball goes out of play into the  dugout!  What's the call. The batter was in batters box so no interference will be called but does the runners get to advance another base are or they just giving the base they are going to. 

I will get an official ruling on this. I was the home plate umpire when this happened. After talking with both coaches, we all agree that 2 bases from the time of the pitch should have been awarded. Never seen a ball go out of play like this.   And it didn't go into the dugout it went OVER the dugout!!!  lol  Will get an official ruling. 

Scenario:

Pop fly straight up in front of the plate, pitcher and catcher look at each other, and the ball gits the ground.  Ball is not touched, and rolls foul.  Fair ball or foul?

This scenario happened in the jv game between Evadale and Kirbyville.  Umpire stated "the ball stayed fair for over 2 seconds, so the defense had a chance to make a play."  He even consulted the field umpire and the play stood.  The umpire then ejects a fan for advising him he needed to "read a rule book."  All both coaches could do was chuckle.  If the umpire was actually correct I will have to pull my jaw off the floor.

1 minute ago, Chester86 said:

Scenario:

Pop fly straight up in front of the plate, pitcher and catcher look at each other, and the ball gits the ground.  Ball is not touched, and rolls foul.  Fair ball or foul?

This scenario happened in the jv game between Evadale and Kirbyville.  Umpire stated "the ball stayed fair for over 2 seconds, so the defense had a chance to make a play."  He even consulted the field umpire and the play stood.  The umpire then ejects a fan for advising him he needed to "read a rule book."  All both coaches could do was chuckle.  If the umpire was actually correct I will have to pull my jaw off the floor.

Lmao

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic