Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

Out of respect for my brother umpires, I am going to have to no comment on that particular play at the present. I will talk to them tonight when we have our weekly meeting to see what their thought process was. Right or wrong we all learn when things happen out of the ordinary at the games.

It seems as though rules are rules. Should not matter if one of your brothers make the call. Really should not make a difference. All we want is a rule clarification. Either you know the correct call or you don't. All the details are present on the film, no interpretation needed. Most of the eye witnesses agree with the film account. A no call here makes me believe they were wrong on at least part of the situation.

Before I posted anything about this, we as a chapter first wanted to get clarification from the rules federation, and second, have a chance to talk to the umpires at the game and talk about the play. Everyone one of us that are or have been high school umpires has been put in this situation of having to make a quick call on an unusual circumstance. Sometimes we get it right sometimes we don't but we all learn from it so that if it happens again, we can get it right. If I ask everyone that has had an opinion about this play to forget who they were rooting for, and make the call in about 30 seconds, most would not get the whole thing right. The only thing that was done wrong was that the runner that started on second should not have been allowed to score. He should have been placed on third. Everything else was done was right. I hope this ends this discussion.

Well said Blue, I for 1 have had my refresher course, I confused the play with a ball entering a dead zone and thats what I was basing it on. I have been to more than a lot games, have been on both sides of the fence and this was a first for me in this situtation. I have also seen umpires make mistakes at ALL levels of play. I want to commend the first base ump again for asking for help....need more of that. thanks for what you guys do.

If a coach comes out and asks the umpire for help, NICELY, the umpire will normally ask. These guys are out there to help and control the game. They are also Human and can make mistakes. If you have never been an umpire then do not hate nor belittle them. All umpires make mistakes and they do learn from them. They do a great job and once you get to know them they are some good guys too!

If we do not have any umpires, then we do not have baseball....remember that!

Mr. Ump,

One other question about the Vidor Port Neches game.  You clarified the biggest question, but I have one more.  Look at the KFDM.com tape when the PNG left fielder tried to field the ball in foul territory.  He didn't make the catch, so therefore, I thought the play was dead, regardless that the ball rolled into fair territory.  If thats the case, the runs that came in on that call were not legit.  Would like to know the answer.

Thanks

One thing first, and I have seen the KFDM video, Camera angles can be deceiving. The plate umpire did his job and was on the line to make the call. Does not matter where the fielder is, but where the ball is when it is touched. A player can have both feet in foul ground but when he contacts the ball if the ball is over fair territory, then it is a fair ball. Most of the time when you see this it happens with a 3rd baseman making a play on a ground ball. Lets say the 3rd baseman has both feet in fair territory, he leans over the foul line and catches the ball where it is in foul territory. It is a foul ball. It is where the ball is not the fielder. No one argued that call when it was made so going back and questioning it after looking at film is a mute subject. Everyone is making such a fuss over one game, unless both of these teams lose 3 or 4 district games the rest of the way, they are going to make the playoffs. When 3 teams go to the playoffs, the only trophy that really matters is the one they hand out in Austin after the championship game. Next year, 4 teams will make the playoffs in 4A.

Guest PantsOnFire

Everyone is making such a fuss over one game, unless both of these teams lose 3 or 4 district games the rest of the way, they are going to make the playoffs.

I hate to hear an umpire assuming a team will win the majority of it's remaining games. It seems to show bias, or worse - reparation.

I also hate to hear cover-ups like "the next batter got a hit, so the run would have scored anyway".

Mistakes are mistakes. Live with them. Umpires miss calls, left fielders drop balls, coaches make bad moves. It is all part of the game.

My apologies if it sounded like I have some sort of bias that is not what I meant at all. I was just stating the facts of what the records are at this point. Anyone who really knows me, knows I just call what I see and they have all had issues with me at some point and time. I have no stake in the outcome of any districts.

Everyone is making such a fuss over one game, unless both of these teams lose 3 or 4 district games the rest of the way, they are going to make the playoffs.

I hate to hear an umpire assuming a team will win the majority of it's remaining games. It seems to show bias, or worse - reparation.

What is sad is the fact that some people would actually think that the umpires would have a bias towards a team. That is ludicrous! Like I had said before the umpires are there to control the game not to cheat!

They changed it a little this year. If you are standing on the rubber do not go to your mouth period. If you are off the rubber then you can but must wipe fingers clean. It has always been an illegal pitch. Adding a ball with no one on is the change I think. Here is something right out of the book for this year.

Going to the mouth while incontact with the rubber is a balk, not because the pitcher goes to his mouth, but because it simulates the start of the pitching motion.

The umpire should have just called an illegal pitch not a balk with no one on, but that is just being technical be cause the penalty was the same with no one on.

Mr ump I understand that there is a no slide rule but explain to me the rule on a player coming in home with a play to be made and say he comes in standing up. If he makes contact with the cathcer that has the ball and knocks it out of his hand and he doesnt do it maliciously but it is heavy NON SLIDE contact how can an umpire call him safe.

Its a JUDGEMENT call, and what may not 'in your opinion' be malicious contact, it very well could be in the umpires, IMO you should slide and it removes all dought, BTW how can a player come in standing up and dislodge ball without being guilty of  malicious contact.

643 you are assuming that every catcher in all situations had the ball securely in his possesion. We have all seen a fielder or catcher tag someone and drop a ball on a routine tag. Malicious contact can sometimes be one of the hardest calls to make and then sometimes there is no doubt. That's why we make the big bucks to make that call !!!!!! ( disclaimer .... the last statement was a dramatization of the actually facts regarding big bucks )

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic