Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

Heres a twist to the rule above, a batted ball down the first baseline, pitcher is in the baseline attempting to field the ball, runner closing in he picks the ball up and drops it, contact is made, runner unintentually kicks ball towards firstbaseman who tags runner. BTW what Dirker did by questioning the rule is sad not to mention embarasing at the MLB level, as IMO this is elementary. MrUmp I know the answer to the above I just threw it out there to see what responses would come. 

Guest PantsOnFire

Mr. Ump and 643,

I believe you got this one wrong.

There is more to the rule than "the ball passed through, or by, the fielder".

If you read the rest of the sentence it also says "and no other fielder had a chance to make a play on the ball".

I remember Dierker arguing this play. His point was, his second baseman could still make a play !

Don't mess with the Big Bamboo !

You are correct Pants.... I would think it would be very rare that a ball could have been played by one infielder, passes him hits a runner, and another infielder could have still made a play. Of course the ball can bounce in some strange ways. I blame it on global warming.

MrUmp1..

I was @ the Rice/Creighton game on Sunday. Creighton's third pitcher of the game throws from the left and right side...the only college pitcher in the nation this year to do so. Anyway, lots of discussion in the stands about if you throw first pitch from the right side you must finish the at bat throwing from the right side and vice versa..talk eventually included the same scenario for switch hitters. We all basically agreed that this was the rule..once you declare from the right or left ( toe the rubber ) or step into the batter's box you must finish the entire at bat the same. Is this the correct ruling ? If so, what's the rule on who has to "declare". We all invisioned this pitcher and a switch hitter basically having a 'stare-down' w/ each other, waiting for the other to declare first. Needless to say, the scene made for some very interesting conversation @ Reckling Park on Sunday.

Here we go... The pitcher must pitch to a batter from one side the whole at bat. A switch hitter can move to the other side of the box if he wants to. The only time it would be for an advantage for the batter to switch is if a new pitcher is brought in then he would change sides. Most of the time a pitching change is not made in the middle of the count but it does happen. Batter may change, pitcher may not during an at bat.

the standoff would be pointless IMO seeing as how it would only affect the first pitch which i see many players let go by anyway, then the batter could switch freely as he pleased, but the pitcher would be stuck in whichever way he threw the first pitch...

Now that you say that...you are correct. The reason I'm asking is a Rice batter got on the right side, out of the box, played with his shoes, adjusted his shin protection, looked up and saw that the pitcher had toed the rubber. Immediately moved to the other side and got in the box. But with MrUmp1's answer, I agree....doesn't really matter. Maybe the players were not sure either.

P.S. Have there been others that throw from both sides ? I never seen /heard it before....it was worth seeing for sure.

the standoff would be pointless IMO seeing as how it would only affect the first pitch which i see many players let go by anyway, then the batter could switch freely as he pleased, but the pitcher would be stuck in whichever way he threw the first pitch...

Now that you say that...you are correct. The reason I'm asking is a Rice batter got on the right side, out of the box, played with his shoes, adjusted his shin protection, looked up and saw that the pitcher had toed the rubber. Immediately moved to the other side and got in the box. But with MrUmp1's answer, I agree....doesn't really matter. Maybe the players were not sure either.

P.S. Have there been others that throw from both sides ? I never seen /heard it before....it was worth seeing for sure.

um... im not aware of any others...

I'm no umpire but I will answer your ? IF after you broke towards 3rd, you looked up and saw the SS (without ball) in the baseline, although trying to avoid, contact is made and you fall, you should be awarded 3rd. There are a few KEY words used in above, one thing to keep in mind is you will have a designated baseline (str8 line) as you will be leaving second base not rounding 2nd, when rounding 2nd your baseline could include the normal SS position. I would NOT sugest you push the SS down as that could be ruled as malicious contact or intentional. This is a 'judgement call' and ball remains live. The above is how I would coach a player BUT will back off now and get the official ruling. 

question.... say im at 2nd leading off and the shortstop gets in my path towards third while stealing and i push him down, isn't that fielders interference?

question.... say im at 2nd leading off and the shortstop gets in my path towards third while stealing and i push him down, isn't that fielders interference?

643 has the best advice... never push anyone down.  All anyone has to do to get obstruction or interference is to make contact or alter the play. I would think this would be rare as with no one on third a shortstop should be playing normal position not up near the grass. In a two man umpiring crew this one will be hard to see, The base umpire. contrary to popular belief, does not have eyes in the back of his head and the plate umpire will be watching the pitch.

When I did coach I have had the other team while holding runner on 2nd with SS, the SS will come around inbetween runner and pitcher to hide pitchers move to the base with the 2nd baseman sneeking in to cover for a pick-off attempt. When doing this the SS will cross baseline returning to his positition, if timed correctivly the runner can attemp a steal, only to find the SS in the baseline. Thats about the only time I can see the SS in the baseline with no one on 3rd.

Eagle07, I am wondering, how did they handle the glove situation.

Did they call time  each time and chunk out his other glove. I also want to say that this is a great thread and is very informative.

Mr. Diamond

The kid had a glove that had two separate thumb slots. It was more like a round mitt....kinda shaped like those infielder's training gloves. He just switched from hand to hand when needed.  Not sure if he could actually field a ball...he never had to.

I agree with you. great idea with this thread.

mr umpire how tolerant of players arguing with the umpire during the game are you supposed to be?

I have been to two games this year form a certain school and have seen the same player argue with the umpir on the field once after a strike 3 call and once after being called out when stealing.  It wasnt just saying a word and walking off it was stand there for a little while and yell at the umpire.  The first time the coach walked toward the plate and I thought he was about to kill the kid but instead didnt say anything to the kid and started getting on the umpire.  The next game the coach just walked to the dugout and left the kid there arguing.

What does he have to do before somebody tosses him? 

mr umpire how tolerant of players arguing with the umpire during the game are you supposed to be?

I have been to two games this year form a certain school and have seen the same player argue with the umpir on the field once after a strike 3 call and once after being called out when stealing.  It wasnt just saying a word and walking off it was stand there for a little while and yell at the umpire.  The first time the coach walked toward the plate and I thought he was about to kill the kid but instead didnt say anything to the kid and started getting on the umpire.  The next game the coach just walked to the dugout and left the kid there arguing.

What does he have to do before somebody tosses him? 

My question back is was this at a high school game? Most coaches take care of any players that get out of line very quickly. Almost all that I know tell the kids you don't argue let me do that. I can only speak for myself but I have no tolerence for a player arguing.

I beleive the proper words to instruct a young high school mind who beleives hs right to free speech is contingent on making his displeasure known to an umpire at least a decade his senior are....

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

wait for it....

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

with the finger right next to the thumb pointing in the general direction of the exit from the field of play...

now coaches arguing...that's a different matter  ;D ;D

High School athlectics are an extension of the classroom. Good sportmanship is a must. I bet if you really start watching, the teams that take care of their business on the field instead of worrying about what the umpires call and don't bitch and moan about everything, are the teams you see in the playoffs year end and year out.

Mr.Ump,

I would like your opinion on this play. Ball is softly hit in front the catcher. He charges out and

scoops up the ball and moves a step to his left and throws the ball to first. The ball handcuffs the first baseman and he drops the ball. Coach appears and argues and the runner is called out for interference.

If the runner ran on the wrong side of the chalk towards first but did not interfere with the play,do you think this was the correct call.

High School athlectics are an extension of the classroom. Good sportmanship is a must. I bet if you really start watching, the teams that take care of their business on the field instead of worrying about what the umpires call and don't censored and moan about everything, are the teams you see in the playoffs year end and year out.

I couldn't agree more.

Mr.Ump,

I would like your opinion on this play. Ball is softly hit in front the catcher. He charges out and

scoops up the ball and moves a step to his left and throws the ball to first. The ball handcuffs the first baseman and he drops the ball. Coach appears and argues and the runner is called out for interference.

If the runner ran on the wrong side of the chalk towards first but did not interfere with the play,do you think this was the correct call.

First off, was the runner far enough down the line to be in the running lane? If he was, then most likely the home plate umpire was the only one with the best view if the runner altered the play by running to the left of the running lane. Remember the ball does not have to contact the runner for him to alter the play which would result in an interference call. Since I was not at this game or was the umpire making the call, it is hard for me to say what was the right call on this play. Judgement calls are just that and I cannot comment on what I did not see. 

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic