Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

ART. 2 . . . If a pitcher is replaced while his team is on defense, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute for that batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until a third out has been made. To ensure that the requirements of this article be fulfilled, the umpire will deny any coach-defensive player conference that will violate the rule. If a pitcher is incapacitated or guilty of flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct, this rule is ignored. A player may be removed as pitcher and returned as pitcher only once per inning, provided the return as pitcher does not violate either the pitching, substitution or charged conference rule. If the pitcher, because of an injury or being incapacitated, is replaced as pitcher and the above rule is not satisfied, or if his replacement requires more warm-up throws than permitted in 6-2-2 exception, he cannot return to the game as a pitcher.

Article 2 of the handbook makes no reference to starter or reliever. IDK. 

9 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

ART. 2 . . . If a pitcher is replaced while his team is on defense, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute for that batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until a third out has been made. To ensure that the requirements of this article be fulfilled, the umpire will deny any coach-defensive player conference that will violate the rule. If a pitcher is incapacitated or guilty of flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct, this rule is ignored. A player may be removed as pitcher and returned as pitcher only once per inning, provided the return as pitcher does not violate either the pitching, substitution or charged conference rule. If the pitcher, because of an injury or being incapacitated, is replaced as pitcher and the above rule is not satisfied, or if his replacement requires more warm-up throws than permitted in 6-2-2 exception, he cannot return to the game as a pitcher.

Article 2 of the handbook makes no reference to starter or reliever. IDK. 

Yes I just googeled it - what is a charged conference rule?  Also, the doc I referenced noted something about the 1st batter either reaching 1st base or being called out????

IDK

18 hours ago, Whoa said:

Yes I just googeled it - what is a charged conference rule?  Also, the doc I referenced noted something about the 1st batter either reaching 1st base or being called out????

IDK

Its referencing the starting pitcher. The starter has to complete the first at bat (batter gets on base or records an out), barring an injury.

• 10 months later...

Obstruction question for Select/MLB rules. 

Runner at 1st.  Hitter hits it to the wall.  Their SS is standing on the base and obstructs our runner knocking him down.  While he’s on the ground the the batter passes him up.  Obstruction was called, but then then they called out the batter for passing his teammate.  Runner was given a base but batter was out for the 3rd out. 

Delayed dead ball was correct since their was no play at the base.  The rule for this is vague, but I don’t see how a team can commit obstruction and the team that was obstructed gets penalized.  

I do not agree that the runner should be called out. Delayed dead ball then runners awarded bases. Kind of unusual that a runner would pass someone that is that far ahead of them. Sometimes you have to use common sense. If there is a delayed dead ball then a runner gets thrown out trying to take extra bases that's a different thing. Doesn't sound like the case in your play.

1 hour ago, MrUmp1 said:

I do not agree that the runner should be called out. Delayed dead ball then runners awarded bases. Kind of unusual that a runner would pass someone that is that far ahead of them. Sometimes you have to use common sense. If there is a delayed dead ball then a runner gets thrown out trying to take extra bases that's a different thing. Doesn't sound like the case in your play.

They are 6U.  My runner was laying on the ground crying and the batter was fast.  It was an easy inside the Parker so we were all telling him to score when he hit it  

I just wanted to be able to tell Harold that he was full of it.  I told he was wrong many times, but he never listens.

• 1 month later...

If the base umpire was on the line and had a good look at it, they could get together and reverse call. The proper mechanic is if it looks like trouble, the base ump at first should go out and make call. If base umpire goes out then home plate home will have to get in position to make a call at second or third. That is if it was a 2 man crew. If this was a 3 man crew, it is the 1st base umps call all the way. The old days of the home plate ump has all the lines and all the fly balls is not correct in today's mechanics,

9 hours ago, MrUmp1 said:

If the base umpire was on the line and had a good look at it, they could get together and reverse call. The proper mechanic is if it looks like trouble, the base ump at first should go out and make call. If base umpire goes out then home plate home will have to get in position to make a call at second or third. That is if it was a 2 man crew. If this was a 3 man crew, it is the 1st base umps call all the way. The old days of the home plate ump has all the lines and all the fly balls is not correct in today's mechanics,

Two man crew. I thought the base ump was responsible for the guy on 1st? 

11 minutes ago, vidor96pirates said:

6a varsity uses 3 man crew usually.  If that was the case 1b umpire is in A, 3b umpire is in C. The ball being hit down the left field line is the plate umpires call.  If the umpire in C got a good look at it he could give the plate what he saw and he makes the call. 

They only had two umpires.

Ah ok well the base umpire would have been in B usually.  You never cross the dirt and go out on a ball hit to the outfield. He would have to have went over towards third and got the best look he could at it.  He would have also have been watching the runners touch bases as well though.  Unless he saw it clear as day the plate should have had the better view. 

• 1 month later...

About 2 years ago our catcher was called for a balk. This was during a 13U select game, this was a new one on me. What is the rule on this call? At the end of the game another ump in the stands made the comment that this should have never been called in a 13U game. Bad part about it was the calling ump never broke it down so that the player was aware of what he had done.....

In a travel league game the field umpire called a balk on the pitcher. The pitcher followed through and delivered the pitch. Batter swings and hits a double to score the winning run. The ump that made the balk call said it was a dead ball and made the runner go back to second and the batter back to the plate. Then advanced the runner to third. My question is, when a ump calls a balk and the pitcher delivers the pitch and the batter hits it. Is it a dead ball when the ump yells balk or since the pitcher delivered the ball it is live and in play. Hard to believe but I’ve seen it called both ways.

23 hours ago, Coach85 said:

In a travel league game the field umpire called a balk on the pitcher. The pitcher followed through and delivered the pitch. Batter swings and hits a double to score the winning run. The ump that made the balk call said it was a dead ball and made the runner go back to second and the batter back to the plate. Then advanced the runner to third. My question is, when a ump calls a balk and the pitcher delivers the pitch and the batter hits it. Is it a dead ball when the ump yells balk or since the pitcher delivered the ball it is live and in play. Hard to believe but I’ve seen it called both ways.

Depends on the league/organization 

In HS it is a dead ball.  

In MLB, NCAA, Babe Ruth, Select the ball is live and the balk is nullified once the runners reach the next base.  So swing away, only good things can happen. 

1 hour ago, PhatMack19 said:

Depends on the league/organization 

In HS it is a dead ball.  

In MLB, NCAA, Babe Ruth, Select the ball is live and the balk is nullified once the runners reach the next base.  So swing away, only good things can happen. 

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I see no reason why this would be illegal. Even if he dropped the ball ,unless it rolls past a foul line , it would not be a pitch. Pitchers in the windup may start with both hands in their glove, break their hands apart, then bring them back together before delivery of pitch. There is nothing in the rule that states the ball must stay in hand or glove only. 

• 3 weeks later...

need a ruling:

runner at 3rd, 2 strikes on the batter. 2 outs... 

man on 3rd steals home, pitcher does not see him and has a legal pitch, the ball hits the man stealing home in the strike zone while the runners foot is on the home plate. strike would make it strike 3. 

does the run count due to he was safe before the ball hit him? is it a dead ball or live strike three?

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic