11 4A DISTRICT

4 minutes ago, LC-M said:

That’s very good  question. We never develop a quarter back. Our OC is wing t guy. That’s the system our HC has us running. I’m not true fan of it. I’m hoping when everyone retires and the new guy comes in he would change that. 

To me it’s not about which one they choose, but to have your lower level teams running a completely different offense just doesn’t make sense.

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

It works awesome if you have good clock management and a decent defense.  

It also helps if your district opponents only see it when they play you.  Between BC, Lum and possibly LiCk'eM running some form of it, there's not gonna be a lot of novelty in running it later in District play.  The flip side is that your defense will suffer when facing a passing attack because the only time that they defend a decent passing attack is on Friday nights.  Some of that can be made up with sheer athleticism in the secondary, but I don't think Lum has those kind of horses in the stable.  

We had a lot of success under Dubois with a decent group of kids using the slot T.  We beat talented teams like Silsbee and Center and bigger schools like Huffman, LiCk'eM, etc... It's a great equalizer against bigger/more talented kids if utilized correctly.  I think a slot T with a mixed in passing attack like Pleasant Grove ran against a much better WOS team in '17 could hurt a lot of feelings.  I know we hurt our fair share without (sorry Tiger fans) a passing threat.  

If I'm not mistaken, Babin was a Slot T guy before he took the job in Lumberton.  Getting the system installed and utilized correctly is another huge key.  The other thing is that you MUST have disciplined fat kids if you want to succeed.  You're not gonna be very successful with a 175 lb center, no offense.  

I agree 100%. And to me it’s all about the tempo too. I like how Pleasant Grove would rush up to the line and snap the ball. Had wos on their heels all night. I’m sure we will see a mix of tempos in our new offense.

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

And let's not forget what Liberty Hill did to Cartage in the state Championship running the Slot-T.  If done right, it's formidable! 

I followed Liberty Hill this past year. Kyle Harrison was a beast. He got a full ride to Tarleton State. He made that offense click. 

On 7/9/2019 at 3:06 PM, LC-M said:

That’s very good  question. We never develop a quarter back. Our OC is wing t guy. That’s the system our HC has us running. I’m not true fan of it. I’m hoping when everyone retires and the new guy comes in he would change that. 

I don’t think the majority of setx develops QBs. But I agree in the fact that a change needs to happen. Different offenses at the same school is a recipe for disaster. 

34 minutes ago, PdaddyBball said:

I don’t think the majority of setx develops QBs. But I agree in the fact that a change needs to happen. Different offenses at the same school is a recipe for disaster. 

I can't argue with this at all.  I can't remember the last qb from SETX that went on to play QB at the D1 level.  

3 hours ago, PdaddyBball said:

Well our 2nd string  QB is playing at East Texas Baptist . Maybe a Qb coach or different style of  offense would have helped a long the way or maybe not. But we have Senior back this year hopefully he worked on his throwing 

1 hour ago, LC-M said:

Well our 2nd string  QB is playing at East Texas Baptist . Maybe a Qb coach or different style of  offense would have helped a long the way or maybe not. But we have Senior back this year hopefully he worked on his throwing 

It wasn't lost on me that we don't have a qb coach listed, lol.  

4 minutes ago, LC-M said:

Well in the I offense you should be throwing a little more. I’m ready to see those Cards. I’m my honest opinion the wing t was a good fit for y’all. 

Yeah, me, too.  

The execution got worse, not better, as time marched on.  The cards might be in a better place with the HC/OC installing a scheme that they're more familiar with.  DeShazo was the DC and then OC (I might have that backwards) in consecutive years before he became the HC/AD.  Kinda like when you guys had OCs and DCs swapping roles, lol. It didn't seem to lead to a lot of success.

We were really fortunate in '15 when Dubois came that his son was a senior qb with years in that system. By 16 it was clicking even with a new qb.  17 was a really bad year due to injury, but should have been a rebuilding year, anyways.  We had tons and tons of kids turn out that year, but after that debacle of a season we'd lost a lot of kids from the program.  There were barely 2 dozen kids suited out for the later varsity games last season ('18), if my memory is correct.

We played STJFL ball with Sophomore QB Oceguera (his dad was the coach) and we didn't have a ton of success way back then.  Good athlete, it'll be interesting to see how much he's progressed and how well the squad adapts to the new scheme. The Slot T works well with semi-skilled athletes, but it seems like you just end up with too many spots for too few semi-skilled guys.  You need three good RBs and a running qb.... It falls apart if you don't have real threats at one or two of those positions.  It also hurts because you end up with a guy or two playing RB when you kinda sorta need them at linebacker or in your secondary.  That smash-mouth kind of play tends to lead towards banged-up RBs, and when your FB is also the starting middle LB, you've REALLY got a problem if he goes down.  

If BC doesn't turn out more kids this season, I don't expect any better results.

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Yeah, me, too.  

The execution got worse, not better, as time marched on.  The cards might be in a better place with the HC/OC installing a scheme that they're more familiar with.  DeShazo was the DC and then OC (I might have that backwards) in consecutive years before he became the HC/AD.  Kinda like when you guys had OCs and DCs swapping roles, lol. It didn't seem to lead to a lot of success.

We were really fortunate in '15 when Dubois came that his son was a senior qb with years in that system. By 16 it was clicking even with a new qb.  17 was a really bad year due to injury, but should have been a rebuilding year, anyways.  We had tons and tons of kids turn out that year, but after that debacle of a season we'd lost a lot of kids from the program.  There were barely 2 dozen kids suited out for the later varsity games last season ('18), if my memory is correct.

We played STJFL ball with Sophomore QB Oceguera (his dad was the coach) and we didn't have a ton of success way back then.  Good athlete, it'll be interesting to see how much he's progressed and how well the squad adapts to the new scheme. The Slot T works well with semi-skilled athletes, but it seems like you just end up with too many spots for too few semi-skilled guys.  You need three good RBs and a running qb.... It falls apart if you don't have real threats at one or two of those positions.  It also hurts because you end up with a guy or two playing RB when you kinda sorta need them at linebacker or in your secondary.  That smash-mouth kind of play tends to lead towards banged-up RBs, and when your FB is also the starting middle LB, you've REALLY got a problem if he goes down.  

If BC doesn't turn out more kids this season, I don't expect any better results.

I like the i formation. We ran it before we dropped down. We will see if turns out better for them 

7 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I can't argue with this at all.  I can't remember the last qb from SETX that went on to play QB at the D1 level.  

Todd Dodge TJ - The University of Texas

Gerald Landry West Brook - Houston

James Brown West Brook - The University of Texas

Dustin Long PNG - Texas a&m 

17 minutes ago, STiger85 said:

Todd Dodge TJ - The University of Texas

Gerald Landry West Brook - Houston

James Brown West Brook - The University of Texas

Dustin Long PNG - Texas a&m 

Good list - also need to include Dodge's successor and former West Brook coach Craig Stump - Texas A&M

The few times I’ve seen the Slot T, I liked it.  Imo, if you are lucky enough to have a QB who can run it, and also pass with a degree of accuracy, it is a formidable weapon.  Unfortunately, most good passers have been groomed to be prima donna’s, and aren’t mentally ready to run a tough offense.  It’s almost a Catch 22.