Orange County Coaching Records Since 1977!

Reagan

There's one glaring fact:  The coaching consistency of picking the right coach.  WOS has yet to lose 100 games during this time frame.  Every other school has doubled that.  Again, are people going to try and convince us that since 1977 none of these other schools have had any talent that could bring a State Title or be in one?  That WOS is the only one?!  I guess if one strains real hard one could come to that conclusion!

This is the hidden content, please

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

There's one glaring fact:  The coaching consistency of picking the right coach.  WOS has yet to lose 100 games during this time frame.  Every other school has doubled that.  Again, are people going to try and convince us that since 1977 none of these other schools have had any talent that could bring a State Title or be in one?  That WOS is the only one?!  I guess if one strains real hard one could come to that conclusion!

Its simple great coaches and great coachable football players equals great sustainable programs bama, Pat's wos Katy etc. 

4 hours ago, Reagan said:

So you have seen the calculations (or done them) to show that since 1977, EVERY team in our coverage area has twice as many losses as WO-S?

4 hours ago, Reagan said:

Greg Hill, Ernest Anderson, Kevin Smith, Chris Cole, Earl Thomas and now Deionte Thompson in the NFL along with Deon Beasley and Mark Roberts in the CFL.

Tell me, Reagan, has any other program, since 1977, had as many players go on to play professional football?

You're right, WO-S has enjoyed the luxury of some great coaches: Steve McCarty, Dan Hooks and Cornel Thompson.  They have also enjoyed a fan base that let's the coaches coach and doesn't have some idiot going on a message board and questioning the coaching credentials of the coach at their school, simply since he doesn't like that coach, on a regular basis.

I haven't looked up the stats ,but Orange County with Vidor and WO-S , seems like they have about 4 state Championships ( I don' think Vidor has any) . Now for Newton Co. Burkeville has 2 and Newton has 5. Hummmmm....Nothing like patting yourself on the back.... 

1 hour ago, purpleeagle said:

I haven't looked up the stats ,but Orange County with Vidor and WO-S , seems like they have about 4 state Championships ( I don' think Vidor has any) . Now for Newton Co. Burkeville has 2 and Newton has 5. Hummmmm....Nothing like patting yourself on the back.... 

Well, remember....the article is out of the Orange Leader so it is probably catered to Orange County readers.

As for the person that posted it here, he has not done that to promote WO-S, he is a Nederlander who doesn't like the fact that Monte Barrow was hired as Nederland head coach and he regularly posts articles of other team's successes with known coaches to take shots at Coach Barrow.

8 hours ago, Reagan said:

4 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

So you have seen the calculations (or done them) to show that since 1977, EVERY team in our coverage area has twice as many losses as WO-S?

Because I have begun those calculations:

So remember, WO-S has lost 98 since opening up, so the magic number is 196.  While I am by no means done, in fact, I am quite early in the process.  I have excluded West Brook, Port Arthur Memorial, Goose Creek Memorial and Beaumont United as they were opened after 1977.  But here is what I have found so far.

Newton who has taken home as many titles as WO-S in that time, has only 107.

Crosby has 180.

PN-G has 191.

Dayton has 186.

Jasper has 150

Coldspring-Oakhurst has 175.

Woodville has 188.

East Chambers has 189.

Corrigan-Camden has 153.

WOS has had some great coaches and athletes but it's more than that. It's the program. The community pride of Mustang football starts at Pop Warner and is taught all the way up. Many of each senior class have been playing together for 10+ years. Another common factor since 1977? Thompson has been there. No disrespect to Dan Hooks.

5 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

The article is about Orange County schools only.  Who said anything thing about just our coverage area??  WOS hasn't reached 100 loses since 1977.  The other schools have well over 200 loses since then. 

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Because I have begun those calculations:

So remember, WO-S has lost 98 since opening up, so the magic number is 196.  While I am by no means done, in fact, I am quite early in the process.  I have excluded West Brook, Port Arthur Memorial, Goose Creek Memorial and Beaumont United as they were opened after 1977.  But here is what I have found so far.

Newton who has taken home as many titles as WO-S in that time, has only 107.

Crosby has 180.

PN-G has 191.

Dayton has 186.

Jasper has 150

Coldspring-Oakhurst has 175.

Woodville has 188.

East Chambers has 189.

Corrigan-Camden has 153.

Good info.  But -- has nothing to do with my post!

4 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, remember....the article is out of the Orange Leader so it is probably catered to Orange County readers.

As for the person that posted it here, he has not done that to promote WO-S, he is a Nederlander who doesn't like the fact that Monte Barrow was hired as Nederland head coach and he regularly posts articles of other team's successes with known coaches to take shots at Coach Barrow.

Sounds like Smitty is under a different name now?? 

13 hours ago, Reagan said:

Your argument is halfway correct. With better coaching some of those schools would definitely have less losses, but they would still have 0 State Championships.

12 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

Your argument is halfway correct. With better coaching some of those schools would definitely have less losses, but they would still have 0 State Championships.

Well if you count before the 1977 rule. Vidor and BC have already been to the state championship game. But yes I think LCM had one chance to make it all the way and they ran into Lamarque. I believe that Bridge City did make it to the state Semi in the early 2000 if my memory is correct. Coaching is a problem, but when you have superintendents that makes your defensive coordinator go sit in the box because he's yelling to much is also a problem. I don't think  superintendents should be telling a head coach if you make it to one play off game and everything will be okay. Also to get a good coach you have to let the coaches coach from the fan base I agree with that. The kids have to be 100% in with working out and watch game film. Most kids in orange county are probably inside playing video games.

9 hours ago, purpleeagle said:
3 hours ago, LC-M said:
3 hours ago, LC-M said:

Well if you count before the 1977 rule. Vidor and BC have already been to the state championship game. But yes I think LCM had one chance to make it all the way and they ran into Lamarque. I believe that Bridge City did make it to the state Semi in the early 2000 if my memory is correct. Coaching is a problem, but when you have superintendents that makes your defensive coordinator go sit in the box because he's yelling to much is also a problem. I don't think  superintendents should be telling a head coach if you make it to one play off game and everything will be okay. Also to get a good coach you have to let the coaches coach from the fan base I agree with that. The kids have to be 100% in with working out and watch game film. Most kids in orange county are probably inside playing video games.

Ok, you have piqued my interest.  What's in the bold, tell us more about this.  The other parts I tend to agree.

41 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Ok, you have piqued my interest.  What's in the bold, tell us more about this.  The other parts I tend to agree.

Well 1964 Vidor went 12-0-1 they tied New Braunsfel in the state championship game. Vidor was coached by Edgar Payne who brought them to the state championship. Payne was there for only two years and left.  Payne what I can see went off to coach at Mcmurray and then Texas Tech. He didn't coach high school football anymore in Texas. Bridge City 1966 They had Steve Worster that went to play at UT. Their Head Coach was HW Chief  Wilson he went 80-43-6 with one championship. Im guessing you wanted information on there coaches.

1 hour ago, LC-M said:

Well 1964 Vidor went 12-0-1 they tied New Braunsfel in the state championship game. Vidor was coached by Edgar Payne who brought them to the state championship. Payne was there for only two years and left.  Payne what I can see went off to coach at Mcmurray and then Texas Tech. He didn't coach high school football anymore in Texas. Bridge City 1966 They had Steve Worster that went to play at UT. Their Head Coach was HW Chief  Wilson he went 80-43-6 with one championship. Im guessing you wanted information on there coaches.

I thought Vidor went to the semi’s that year... 

Honestly, the only fact that matters in this whole thread is that WO-S churns out raw talent better than any school in the area. There are alot of great coaches out there that will never have the talent that WO-S gets on a regular basis and their records reflect that in comparison to WO-S. Aside from good coaching, you gotta have the athletes, and equally as important, a community that backs their football program. Not to take away from their tremendous success, but compared to their present and past district opponents, WO-S rarely faces hard opposition until about 3 to 4 rounds deep. WO-S is blessed with athletes, great coaching, and a community that supports the team. That is what it takes to be successful, if you are missing any one of those three elements, your record will look like any of the schools that aren't WO-S in the article.       

13 hours ago, Guitar Man said:

Honestly, the only fact that matters in this whole thread is that WO-S churns out raw talent better than any school in the area. There are alot of great coaches out there that will never have the talent that WO-S gets on a regular basis and their records reflect that in comparison to WO-S. Aside from good coaching, you gotta have the athletes, and equally as important, a community that backs their football program. Not to take away from their tremendous success, but compared to their present and past district opponents, WO-S rarely faces hard opposition until about 3 to 4 rounds deep. WO-S is blessed with athletes, great coaching, and a community that supports the team. That is what it takes to be successful, if you are missing any one of those three elements, your record will look like any of the schools that aren't WO-S in the article.       

The first two sentences can actually be separated.  But I want to focus on the second one:  Curious on your thoughts about this.  Throughout the years, and we'll go back to WOS's inception, are you saying that WOS is the only school in Orange County that ever gets talent?  And that the other schools never gets talent?  If this is your thought -- why do you think this is?

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

The first two sentences can actually be separated.  But I want to focus on the second one:  Curious on your thoughts about this.  Throughout the years, and we'll go back to WOS's inception, are you saying that WOS is the only school in Orange County that ever gets talent?  And that the other schools never gets talent?  If this is your thought -- why do you think this is?

If you would bother to answer my question as to how many NFL or CFL players the other Orange County schools have produced, you'd know the answer to yours.