Some local district predictions

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 11:43 PM, Rez Ipsa said:

What's the basis for PNG not winning district?

The way I see it, PNG is bringing back a solid core from a solid defense and a solid core from a solid offense. Yes, we won't have Roschon anymore, but we have a good QB coming up who has already proven, at the varsity level, an ability to be accurate in passing, smart with the ball, and a strong runner. We will be a tough team. We also have one of the top offensive linemen in the state. Defense seems to be looking up. Don't count out the Indians -- We've had a piece of every district championship of the last 5 years (Co-District in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018). So it's not exactly far-fetched to suggest we end up at the top again.

I see the district a lot like I did at the beginning of last year -- I think the champion will be either Nederland, PNG, or Crosby (even with all of their recent problems). 

I'm more skeptical about Silsbee beating West Orange. I'm not sure anyone has ever beaten West Orange two years in a row, at least not in the last 20 years or so. Someone tell me if I'm wrong about that. Silsbee will be hungry and they have the momentum of a state-championship run, but West Orange isn't going anywhere until they show us otherwise. 

Sorry I haven't responded sooner.  The simple fact, in my opinion, is coaching.  PN-G for the past two years have had one of the best, if not the best, QB's in the State.  And by your own admission PN-G could only share in the piece of the pie.   So, what do you think they will do with less talent?   Plus, in this district, is sharing a piece of the pie really that hard?

6 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Sorry I haven't responded sooner.  The simple fact, in my opinion, is coaching.  PN-G for the past two years have had one of the best, if not the best, QB's in the State.  And by your own admission PN-G could only share in the piece of the pie.   So, what do you think they will do with less talent?   Plus, in this district, is sharing a piece of the pie really that hard?

Gee, that is a shocker.

10 hours ago, Reagan said:

If this is were communities set their bar, then they are satisfied.

I will take playoff football, over no playoff football.  I can only set the bar as high as the overall team talent level. If what you have offensively + defensively can compete to win district,  then do so.  It takes a great many talented athletes, as well as intelligent coaching to advance more, beyond that success level.  Give me the playoffs every time, advancing beyond that level is just ice cream on the pie.

29 minutes ago, png9mon said:

I will take playoff football, over no playoff football.  I can only set the bar as high as the overall team talent level. If what you have offensively + defensively can compete to win district,  then do so.  It takes a great many talented athletes, as well as intelligent coaching to advance more, beyond that success level.  Give me the playoffs every time, advancing beyond that level is just ice cream on the pie.

Dude!  How can you have such low expectations for a school in an area like mid-county that has an endless supply of championship talent? 

I mean the only reason that PN-G shouldn't be playing in the Class 5A-II State Championship Game every season is if they got beat by Nederland in the Region III championship!!!  The same thing for the Bulldogs!  Heck, Fox Sports Southwest should have to get Bob West to do the color for that game since either team should be a lock to get there.  Jerry Jones should be compelled to play Cherokee on the speakers in and outside of AT&T Stadium all of championship week.  Heck, even make the Cowboys come out to it (Lord help me).

And you know damned well that the only reason that all isn't happening is the Art Briles isn't on the Indian sideline and Kendall Briles isn't the Bulldog leader (or does Reagan want Kendall on the Indian sideline and Art on the Bulldog leader....oh well, Reagan will gladly clear that up)!

png9mon, should be ashamed of yourself!

26 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Dude!  How can you have such low expectations for a school in an area like mid-county that has an endless supply of championship talent? 

I mean the only reason that PN-G shouldn't be playing in the Class 5A-II State Championship Game every season is if they got beat by Nederland in the Region III championship!!!  The same thing for the Bulldogs!  Heck, Fox Sports Southwest should have to get Bob West to do the color for that game since either team should be a lock to get there.  Jerry Jones should be compelled to play Cherokee on the speakers in and outside of AT&T Stadium all of championship week.  Heck, even make the Cowboys come out to it (Lord help me).

And you know damned well that the only reason that all isn't happening is the Art Briles isn't on the Indian sideline and Kendall Briles isn't the Bulldog leader (or does Reagan want Kendall on the Indian sideline and Art on the Bulldog leader....oh well, Reagan will gladly clear that up)!

Lol perfect

4 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Lol!

12 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Endless supply of championship talent?  PNG & Nederland both have talented players, on their individual teams each year.  Seldom is there star power at more than a few positions.  I guarantee you that the coaches make the team successful , beyond that talent level, by using what they have of football knowledge to form winning programs.  I have no low expectations.  I saw football programs last year, in district, including Dayton & Crosby, that had more talent on the field that we did.  Hey, but what do I know.  I've only missed 4 PNG football games, since the day I was born, 54 years ago.  I guess I have no idea what PNG football is capable of.  Or maybe you all have no idea of what PNG football is not capable of, from year to year.

Reality is nothing to be ashamed of!

Shame on you for blaming our coaches, whom I believe to be some of the best in the area. 

Worry about the player talent & coaching at your respective schools.  Like your programs, ours will keep going as far in the playoffs as our talent, and/or coaching skill levels will take us.  I will continue to love that PNG Football.  I have loved it in years we had 1 win & in years we had 14 wins.  Win, or Lose, I am a PNG Indian.

2 hours ago, png9mon said:

Endless supply of championship talent?  PNG & Nederland both have talented players, on their individual teams each year.  Seldom is there star power at more than a few positions.  I guarantee you that the coaches make the team successful , beyond that talent level, by using what they have of football knowledge to form winning programs.  I have no low expectations.  I saw football programs last year, in district, including Dayton & Crosby, that had more talent on the field that we did.  Hey, but what do I know.  I've only missed 4 PNG football games, since the day I was born, 54 years ago.  I guess I have no idea what PNG football is capable of.  Or maybe you all have no idea of what PNG football is not capable of, from year to year.

Reality is nothing to be ashamed of!

Shame on you for blaming our coaches, whom I believe to be some of the best in the area. 

Worry about the player talent & coaching at your respective schools.  Like your programs, ours will keep going as far in the playoffs as our talent, and/or coaching skill levels will take us.  I will continue to love that PNG Football.  I have loved it in years we had 1 win & in years we had 14 wins.  Win, or Lose, I am a PNG Indian.

I believe all of that was sarcasm.  :)

8 minutes ago, bigdog said:

I believe all of that was sarcasm.  :)

Are you saying WOSgrad & Mr Buddy Garrity are sarcastic? 

I beg to differ, they are probably 2 of the most committed & serious participants on this chat site.

Although, as I apply logic to my arguments, it is possible I cannot identify sarcasm, in it's purest form.:) lol

On 6/30/2019 at 9:15 AM, Chester86 said:

What about an Italian restaurant in your hometown - Lumber-Tony’s? The commercials would right themselves!  Open it next to a southern home-cooking - Chinese fusion eatery called Wok-n-Rolls.

Shoot we just got a Korean or Vietnamese not sure which restaurant called Pho-Nominal. :)

22 hours ago, png9mon said:

Are you saying WOSgrad & Mr Buddy Garrity are sarcastic? 

I beg to differ, they are probably 2 of the most committed & serious participants on this chat site.

Although, as I apply logic to my arguments, it is possible I cannot identify sarcasm, in it's purest form.:) lol

:)  No, neither one of those guys are ever  sarcastic.   lol.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:37 AM, Reagan said:

Same apologies for taking so long to respond. We shared in a piece of the pie for two years prior to Roschon arriving. It is true that we won't have Roschon. But neither will Nederland. There is no reason, absent evidence from actual gameplay, to assume that PNG is going to have a drastic drop-off, while assuming, with the same not-any-evidence, that other teams are going to rocket forward. I tend to wish that coaching would be better, but I also have to acknowledge the good things the coaches are doing. Based on comparisons within the district, PNG's coaches are among the best in the district. A lot of us look at what PNG is not doing and say "Wow, the coaching is terrible," without acknowledging that we might not be even as good as we are but for the coaching. We definitely have room to improve, but so does Nederland, and so do the others. We have strong youth coming up, one of the top linemen in the country, and a proven, solid quarterback. We are going to score, and if we can put a defense together from the pieces remaining from last year's stronger-than-normal defense, we are going to be dangerous. In other words, my point in this and in my last post is not that PNG is going to win state, but that in reference to the DISTRICT, no one has shown any reason to project a drop-off year for PNG, OR to except a huge improvement from PNG, for that matter. I say, let's reserve judgment unless there is something substantive to support a prediction one way or the other.