For grins and giggles

2 hours ago, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING said:

Fire crouch and mabe something special will happen again. But I guess until then yall just keep talking about 25 years ago. Btw it wasn't that special since it didn't end up with a state championship in my book, Cubby. Michael bishop made sure of that I believe.

I was at that game. Bishop never left the field.

He was QB on offense, safety on defense, kicker and punter and returned punts and kickoffs. He literally never left the field.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 0:38 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Whoever plays them first.... WOS or Silsbee.  Edit:  I think Silsbee gets it done on 9/6.  You're talking about a State Semi-finalist from last year (in 4AII, not 3AII) that didn't lose nearly as much talent as Newton did.

I know that it's easy to forget, but it was only about three seasons ago that Newton was losing to teams like BC and Orangefield, if my memory is correct.  And that was with an SC caliber coach.  Newton plays up to bigger competition very, VERY well.  Some years (like last year) they win, and some years they just compete.  I'm not calling for a blowout, but I think the Eagles will have problems with bigger schools this year compared to the last two. 

It's kinda like WOS strung together a fantastic run with a lot of fantastic talent, and as of last year that run kinda came to an end.  I think Newton is in for the same fall back down to earth. 

Now, I can freely admit that I wish a bad season for us meant losing a game or two in non-district, running through the district and getting knocked out in the fourth round or so.  That's about what I expect out of Newton this year.  

yes, but the year you are talking about is the same year we went on to the state finals. It took the coach a while to settle the kids and parents down.

1 hour ago, EAGLEFOREVER said:

yes, but the year you are talking about is the same year we went on to the state finals. It took the coach a while to settle the kids and parents down.

I went back and checked... You are correct.  

I was just saying that this looks like one of those years where Newton plays those other non-district teams tough, but probably comes up short.  It doesn't mean that you guys won't still be playing between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but just that "The Streak" will be ended early on this season in my opinion.

That was a rough start that year for the eagles, lol.  

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I went back and checked... You are correct.  

I was just saying that this looks like one of those years where Newton plays those other non-district teams tough, but probably comes up short.  It doesn't mean that you guys won't still be playing between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but just that "The Streak" will be ended early on this season in my opinion.

That was a rough start that year for the eagles, lol.  

definitely, don't get me wrong I figure the streak will end with Silsbee.

2 hours ago, EAGLEFOREVER said:

I got interrupted. the only thing is Silsbee is a slow starter. The Silsbee that went four rounds deep last year was not the same team we played earlier in the year.

That's a combination of VERY GREAT early competition and starting lineup issues.  Early, there are kids that are projected to play well and sometimes, they get exploited  in games against the likes of PN-G, Nederland and Newton...

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

That's a combination of VERY GREAT early competition and starting lineup issues.  Early, there are kids that are projected to play well and sometimes, they get exploited  in games against the likes of PN-G, Nederland and Newton...

It's nothing against Silsbee, they start slow and get better as the year goes on.

1 hour ago, purpleeagle said:

and everyone is arguing on who will first beat poor o little 3A2 Newton. Thanks, that is respect for Newton. But, Newton is going to play those big bad teams anyway. Silsbee better worry about little o WO-S.

Its nothing like that.  Newton is respected.   Also, you're  wrong.  No one is worried about WO-S from Silsbee.   On the contrary, it seems the 'Stangs are worried about Silsbee based on some of the whining I've been seeing on many social media platforms. 

1 hour ago, purpleeagle said:

and everyone is arguing on who will first beat poor o little 3A2 Newton. Thanks, that is respect for Newton. But, Newton is going to play those big bad teams anyway. Silsbee better worry about little o WO-S.

Didn't do this to argue with anyone, just trying to get a discussion going. I'm bored. I have no idea what kind of team they will be until I see them play. They could be great  or just so-so, time will tell. A lot of talent graduated  and we have new coaches. Anxious to see them play.

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Its nothing like that.  Newton is respected.   Also, you're  wrong.  No one is worried about WO-S from Silsbee.   On the contrary, it seems the 'Stangs are worried about Silsbee based on some of the whining I've been seeing on many social media platforms. 

The rain, the rain, the rain. Blah. 

2 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

My apologies if a discussion that Newton MIGHT face the possibility of a regular season loss makes you uncomfortable.  I know it is not a subject that has been a realistic one to discuss in over 3 seasons due to a number of factors.  But, if you look at the question marks that the Eagles do have, then I think you will agree that someone on Newton's 2019 schedule (at least their pre-district schedule) does stand a better than average chance of taking them.

Will it happen?  Nobody here knows.  But it is a possibility.

Again, if that causes you discomfort. Sorry.

P.S. To all my Silsbee friends who have weighed in on the Silsbee/WO-S dual:

Silsbee and WO-S have faced off more or less regularly since WO-S dropped from 5A to 4A in 1986.  Number of Silsbee wins in that series - 4 (1993 - 20-14, 1998 - 21-20 (Bi-District), 2009 - 13-7, 2018 - 19-9 (Regional Finals)). Number of times that Silsbee has beaten WO-S in consecutive games: 0.  I'll wait for that latter goose egg to disappear before I am ready to entertain the possibility that there might be a new "sheriff" in town....especially when we are both on a thread pertaining to the actual current sheriff.

I have covered Newton's playoff runs for the last two years all the way to AT&T. I would never count the Eagles out especially before the season has even begun. Do they have holes to fill? Of course they do! Who doesn't?

Newton has been so dominate the last two years that players who were down the depth chart have gotten valuable playing time, not just in the regular season, but deep into the playoffs. Players who will be seniors this year have played over three years worth of football in most of their two years in the Eagles varsity.

20 regular season games and 12 playoff games. You can't put a value on that much extra practice time and experience. Will they be as good as the last two years? Maybe! Will they go undefeated? Maybe! Will they win a third state championship? Maybe!

With less than a month until the start of summer practices all the questions will soon be asked. Will Silsbee or WOS or Gilmer beat the Eagles? Only the games will tell, But is a 3A D2 team loosing to a 4A D2 or a 3A D1 so bad? Bigger schools are supposed to loose to larger schools if all things are equal. For years no teams have really wanted to schedule Newton in pre-district play. This year when the Newton coaching staff had every reason to believe that their team might be down due to the loss of so many players look at their pre-district schedule.

I watched Coach Johnston on the sidelines while his father was in the press box for most of the playoff games last year. His defense will continue to be stout and the offense still has plenty of weapons. Greg Neece will be missed, but good coaches move on every year and the best programs continue to stay at or close to the top.

I know this is just friendly banter and it will mean nothing once the lights go on and the games are played. But one thing that can't be measured is the heart of the players who just might want to give one final parting gift to their beloved fallen coach.

Just a thought and my opinion... 

On 7/13/2019 at 11:48 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

Ditto

22 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Make sure you have that same energy at about 11 PM that night...

First how is Silsbee going to stop Newton’s speed. 2nd. If it’s one thing about Newton is defense. They don’t give up too many yards or points. Silsbee does not have the components to stop Newton. I know it and so do you.  

1 hour ago, KB24 said:

First how is Silsbee going to stop Newton’s speed. 2nd. If it’s one thing about Newton is defense. They don’t give up too many yards or points. Silsbee does not have the components to stop Newton. I know it and so do you.  

Silsbee doesn't have speed?  

3 hours ago, KB24 said:

I know Silsbee definitly DON'T have a shortage of speed.  But I do know what Newton does NOT return.  That is 3 D-1 players and a legendary coach.  But we'll  see if it pans out and who put in work in the offseason though..

On 7/18/2019 at 11:51 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

I know Silsbee definitly DON'T have a shortage of speed.  But I do know what Newton does NOT return.  That is 3 D-1 players and a legendary coach.  But we'll  see if it pans out and who put in work in the offseason though..

And this means What?  Do you people really think Newton is hurting because they lost some excellent kids on both sides of the ball. It’s obvious you don’t know anything about Newton, the history of the football team or the kids. Newton is the kinda team that don’t sit and wait around for change.  These kids start preparing to win championships from Pee wee.  Silsbee have some good runners  but they will not get through that purple curtain. IJS