For grins and giggles

The underclassman have been getting six weeks of extra practice. Plus invaluable experience against quality opponents during these long playoff runs. So don't put it all on the kids. What will determine newton's season is coaching. Losing a head coach, especially in this manner, and defensive coordinator will be hard er to replace. With 3 top notch teams scheduled for non district, they're not backing down at all. But I still expect a deep run in the playoffs from a perennial power like newton.

7 hours ago, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING said:

U say that like they r just going to fall off the map 

Actually.. I say that like they’re a two time defending champion who lost 5 kids to D1 programs (or however many).  I think that if you think they’ll be as good then you might be a little bit naive.  How come WOS didn’t win it last year?  They had the same head coach.. maybe because of the talent they graduated?

Im not saying they won’t be good...but... I’ve seen 3A and smaller teams lose ONE D1 caliber kid and go from a state contender to a team struggling to make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Actually.. I say that like they’re a two time defending champion who lost 5 kids to D1 programs (or however many).  I think that if you think they’ll be as good then you might be a little bit naive.  How come WOS didn’t win it last year?  They had the same head coach.. maybe because of the talent they graduated?

Im not saying they won’t be good...but... I’ve seen 3A and smaller teams lose ONE D1 caliber kid and go from a state contender to a team struggling to make the playoffs.

Truth. 

19 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

They will be in Dallas and I'm done with this.

As for losing Newton's defensive coordinator, that did not happen. Our defensive coordinator is still there. He has been the back bone of the team. We will not be as good as last year but we want be a push over either. As for a team that has 296 kids compared to 784 for Silsbee I think we do pretty good. As for crying, that want happen, we will take it and move on. When we get to 3A-2, we will be alright. We will not meet anyone in the playoffs any better that Silsbee, WO-S, or Gilmer.

46 minutes ago, JasperDAWG said:

My friend, pardon me if I interrupt your conversation.  The "purple beast" had a close game for the championship because they played one helluva football team, that year in and year out is a force to be reckoned with. Tamazia had been off the team for weeks.  Yes, he was a stud on the field , and had he been able to deal with the growing up process in a more mature matter he would have got his chance.

Sleep on netwon all u want, winning programs know how to keep winning. Oh yea guess lcm Cubs and the lumberton fake raiders wouldn't know about that. AND IM NOT JOKING 

9 hours ago, JasperDAWG said:

My friend, pardon me if I interrupt your conversation.  The "purple beast" had a close game for the championship because they played one helluva football team, that year in and year out is a force to be reckoned with. Tamazia had been off the team for weeks.  Yes, he was a stud on the field , and had he been able to deal with the growing up process in a more mature matter he would have got his chance.

Had anybody heard what Brown’s plans are for this fall?

53 minutes ago, EAGLEFOREVER said:

Let’s hear who ends the streak.

Whoever plays them first.... WOS or Silsbee.  Edit:  I think Silsbee gets it done on 9/6.  You're talking about a State Semi-finalist from last year (in 4AII, not 3AII) that didn't lose nearly as much talent as Newton did.

I know that it's easy to forget, but it was only about three seasons ago that Newton was losing to teams like BC and Orangefield, if my memory is correct.  And that was with an SC caliber coach.  Newton plays up to bigger competition very, VERY well.  Some years (like last year) they win, and some years they just compete.  I'm not calling for a blowout, but I think the Eagles will have problems with bigger schools this year compared to the last two. 

It's kinda like WOS strung together a fantastic run with a lot of fantastic talent, and as of last year that run kinda came to an end.  I think Newton is in for the same fall back down to earth. 

Now, I can freely admit that I wish a bad season for us meant losing a game or two in non-district, running through the district and getting knocked out in the fourth round or so.  That's about what I expect out of Newton this year.  

This area is full of WO-S and Newton haters. When a team keeps kicking your rear end year after year those teams develop a hate for them. I have a friend from BC that hates Cornell and WO-S because they just can't beat them. Cornell is one of the best persons I have ever met. So, line up and get your kicks this year because Newton will be down this year. That don't mean Newton will be a push over. Newton will have a good bunch of kids coming up. But, nothing can erase the last 43 games in which Newton won 42 of them and added their 4th and 5th state championship. How many championships has your team got CardinalBacker?.  

15 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

This area is full of WO-S and Newton haters. When a team keeps kicking your rear end year after year those teams develop a hate for them. I have a friend from BC that hates Cornell and WO-S because they just can't beat them. Cornell is one of the best persons I have ever met. So, line up and get your kicks this year because Newton will be down this year. That don't mean Newton will be a push over. Newton will have a good bunch of kids coming up. But, nothing can erase the last 43 games in which Newton won 42 of them and added their 4th and 5th state championship. How many championships has your team got CardinalBacker?.  

BAM!!! And that’s all folks 

1 hour ago, purpleeagle said:

Just the one... and for what it’s worth, we would have won those same two titles y’all did if we played down in 3aD2. 

bam. 

*edit* Of course I’m kidding, before somebody loses their mind. Congratulations on your 4th and 5th JV Championships. 

15 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Honestly, besides BC, WOS, and Newton, which other local programs have won championships?

There has to be more than just the Big Three. 

Well you have PNG, Nederland  Beaumont west brook. There’s some schools that are no  longer here that have won. 

On 7/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Honestly, besides BC, WOS, and Newton, which other local programs have won championships?

Beaumont Kelly Catholic (7): 1979 (TCIL 3A), 1986 (TCIL 3A), 1987 (TCIL 3A), 1989 (TCIL), 1992 (TCIL), 1993 (TCIL Co-Champ), 1998 (TAPPS 5A)

Newton (5): 1974 (UIL 2A), 1998 (UIL 3A-II), 2005 (UIL 2A-II), 2017 (UIL 3A-II), 2018 (UIL 3A-II)

West Orange-Stark (4): 1986 (UIL 4A), 1987 (UIL 4A), 2015 (UIL 4A-II), 2016 (UIL 4A-II)

Baytown Carver (3): 1955 (PVIL 2A), 1958 (PVIL 2A), 1961 (PVIL 3A)

Beaumont Hebert (3): 1959 (PVIL 3A), 1966 (PVIL 4A), 1976 (UIL 3A)

Port Arthur Lincoln (3): 1949 (PVIL 2A Co-Champ), 1953 (PVIL 3A), 1955 (PVIL 3A)

Port Neches-Groves (3): 1953 (UIL 3A), 1955 (UIL 3A), 1975 (UIL 4A)

Barbers Hill (2): 1971 (UIL 1A Co-Champ), 1975 (UIL 1A)

Burkeville (2): 1986 (UIL 1A), 2001 (UIL 1A)

Corrigan-Camden (2): 1988 (UIL 2A), 2002 (UIL 2A-I)

Orange Wallace (2): 1949 (PVIL 1A), 1954 (PVIL 2A)

Port Arthur High/Port Arthur Jefferson (2): 1929 (UIL 1A Co-Champ), 1944 (UIL 2A)

Port Arthur Bishop Byrne (2): 1951 (TCIL), 1952 (TCIL)

Baytown Christian (1): 2016 (TAPPS 6man DIII)

Beaumont St. Anthony (1): 1955 (TCIL)

Beaumont French (1): 1984 (UIL 5A Co-Champ)

Bridge City (1): 1966 (UIL 3A)

Beaumont West Brook (1): 1982 (UIL 5A)

Hull-Daisetta (1): 1979 (UIL 1A)

Jasper Rowe (1): 1967 (PVIL 2A)

Nederland (1): 1957 (UIL 3A)

PVIL - Prairie View Interscholastic League

TAPPS - Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools

TCIL - Texas Catholic/Christian Interscholastic League

UIL - University Interscholastic League

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

Beaumont Kelly Catholic (7): 1979 (TCIL 3A), 1986 (TCIL 3A), 1987 (TCIL 3A), 1989 (TCIL), 1992 (TCIL), 1993 (TCIL Co-Champ), 1998 (TAPPS 5A)

Newton (5): 1974 (UIL 2A), 1998 (UIL 3A-II), 2005 (UIL 2A-II), 2017 (UIL 3A-II), 2018 (UIL 3A-II)

West Orange-Stark (4): 1986 (UIL 4A), 1987 (UIL 4A), 2015 (UIL 4A-II), 2016 (UIL 4A-II)

Beaumont Hebert (3): 1958 (PVIL 3A), 1966 (PVIL 4A), 1976 (UIL 3A)

Port Arthur High/Port Arthur Jefferson (2): 1929 (UIL 1A), 1944 (UIL 2A)

Port Arthur Lincoln (2): 1953 (PVIL 3A), 1955 (PVIL 3A)

BAM

17 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Beaumont Hebert (3): 1958 (PVIL 3A), 1966 (PVIL 4A), 1976 (UIL 3A)

Port Arthur High/Port Arthur Jefferson (2): 1929 (UIL 1A), 1944 (UIL 2A)

Port Arthur Lincoln (2): 1953 (PVIL 3A), 1955 (PVIL 3A)

Does anybody know what's wos district record is  right now. Is it like 80 and 1 

31 minutes ago, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING said:

Does anybody know what's wos district record is  right now. Is it like 80 and 1 

You can go to the archives thread and figure it out, that’s what it there for. One thing for sure WOS has way more than one district loss.