2019 HARDIN HORNETS

This is the hidden content, please

2019 FOOTBALL TEAM PREVIEWS

HARDIN HORNETS

2018 Record: 7-4 Overall, 4-3 District

4th Place in District 12-3A-I

The Hardin Hornets were able to do something that they had not done since 2008....qualify for the playoffs.  To repeat that, Head Coach Larry Haynes will be counting on a young squad who will have some veteran leadership up front up on both sides which should allow the youngsters on the squad to grow up.

Head Coach: Larry Haynes

Assistant Coaches:  Steve Firmin (Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line/Defensive Line), Dylan Bethea (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers/Wide Receivers); 5 assistant coaches lost due to budget cuts

Offense:

Five starters return to the Hardin offense in 2019.  The starting quarterback job will be determined during summer practice with junior Austin Potez and sophomore Caden Elmore vying for that position.  Junior running back Anthony Yeo will be counted on to fill the shoes of the graduated Darius White.  Sophomore Jermaine Albro will also see some carries.  Big senior receiver Michael Tidwell will be expected to carry a big load on offense.  He will be joined in the receiver group by fellow receiver Will Sims, Albro and sophomore receiver Logan Parker, as well as junior tight end Trenton Dickey (1st team all-district).  Senior offensive tackle Will Barrett (2nd team all-district), junior guard Paul Thonsgaard (2nd team all-district) and sophomore center Shane Holst will create a solid nucleus on an offensive line which will also include sophomore tackle Colby Barrett.

Defense:

Five starters return to the Hardin 3-4 defense in 2019.  Nose guard Thonsgaard (1st team all-district) and defensive end Holst return to lead a line which will also include Will Barrett and Colby Barrett at defensive end.  Junior inside linebacker Trenton Dickey (1st team all-district) returns to lead a linebacker group that will include seniors Hunter Creel and Jake Dicus.  Potez (2nd team all-district at cornerback) and senior cornerback Henry Duran return to lead a Hornet secondary which will also include Elmore at strong safety and sophomore free safety Ty Tinkle.

Special Teams:

Senior Laythe Furlow, who booted 11 field goals in 2018, will again be counted on to do the place kicking for Hardin.  The punting and return duties will be sorted out during summer practice.

Schedule:

Aug. 30 - Beaumont Legacy Christian, 7:30 pm

Sept. 6 - at New Waverly, 7:30 pm

Sept. 13 - Houston KIPP, 7:30 pm

Sept. 20 - OPEN

Sept. 27 - at Warren, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 4 - East Chambers, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 11 - at Kirbyville, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 18 - Orangefield, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 25 - at Anahuac, 7:30 pm*

Nov. 1 - Buna, 7:30 pm*

Nov. 8 - Woodville, 7:30 pm*

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

So they have a coaching staff of 3. 

I was just about to ask that.  That's crazy.  First year getting to the playoffs since 2008 and have to cut staff.  Sounds like someone doesn't want the Hornets playing good football...

Before asking any other questions, are these 3 individuals coaching the basketball, baseball, and track & field squads as well?  It would be highly unusual if there were coaches for these squads not assisting with football. I realize there could be Jr. High football coaches that coach other high school sports.  However, that staff is likely smaller than the high school staff, thus leaving a need for coaches at the Jr. High for their winter and spring sports. Simply odd and difficult to truly believe and/or understand. 

Guest ECBucFan
On 7/12/2019 at 7:07 PM, Makemineaconvertible said:

You’ll have to keep that many to keep up with the 500 transfers you’ll have a year. 

I don't condone the transfers, anywhere. I believe students should attend the school where they come from, period.  

from what i hear, several coaches left but it had nothing to do with budget cuts and everything to do with getting away from the current athletic director.  typical hardin dumpster fire

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jamesnbondhj
    Newest Member
    jamesnbondhj