2019 NEW CANEY EAGLES

This is the hidden content, please

2019 FOOTBALL TEAM PREVIEWS

NEW CANEY EAGLES

2018 Record: 10-2 Overall, 7-0 District

District 9-5A-I Champions

2018 was quite a year for the New Caney Eagles as Brady Pennington's charges ran the table in District 9-5A-I to claim the district title and make the playoffs for the fourth year in a row.  The Eagles are counting on more of the same in 2019 as six starters return on each side of the ball in an effort to extend their stay in the Class 5A, Division I playoffs.

Head Coach: Brady Pennington

Offense:

Six starters return to the New Caney offense in 2019.  Returning to lead the Eagle offense will be the 9-5A-I MVP, senior Zion Childress.  Joining him in the backfield will be junior running back Anthony Robles with junior C.J. Sanders also seeing some time at running back.  Junior Isiah Akin (2nd team all-district) will lead a Eagle receiver group which will also include junior La Darion Henson.  Senior guard Anthony Martinez will lead the New Caney offensive line.

Defense:

Six starters also return to the New Caney defense in 2019.  The front seven will be stabilized by the 2018 9-5A-I Newcomer of the Year, outside linebacker D.J. Harris.  Providing support in the Eagle secondary will be Henson (1st team all-district) at free safety and Sanders (1st team all-district at outside linebacker) and Kaylye Jackson (2nd team all-district) at cornerback.

Special Teams:

Special teams positions will be finalized during summer practice.

Schedule:

Aug. 30 - at Crosby, 7:00 pm

Sept. 6 - Houston Heights, 7:00 pm

Sept. 13 - Willis, 7:00 pm

Sept. 20 - OPEN

Sept. 26 - at Houston Wisdom (Butler), 7:00 pm*

Oct. 4 - Galena Park, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 11 - at Port Arthur Memorial, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 19 - at Kingwood Park, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 25 - Houston Austin, 7:00 pm*

Nov. 1 - at Goose Creek Memorial, 7:00 pm*

Nov. 8 - Porter, 7:00 pm*

• 3 weeks later...

I find this to be about what I thought. The top three athletes in my opinion are Childress, Harris and Sanders. The latter two are juniors. Harris could really turn out to be something special. He already has offers from some big FBS schools. He has added about 25 pounds to his frame since last year. All three are excellent kids on and off the field. I think the skill positions will be fine. I am anxious to see how both lines do.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TRUTHTELLER409
    Newest Member
    TRUTHTELLER409