2019 WEST BROOK BRUINS

This is the hidden content, please

2019 FOOTBALL TEAM PREVIEWS

WEST BROOK BRUINS

2018 Record: 13-3 Overall, 6-1 District

Class 6A Division II State Runner Up

The 2018 season was a historic one for the West Brook Bruins as the Bruins reached the Class 6A Division II State Championship Final, the first time that the program has reached a state title game since its state championship in 182.  A one point loss in that title game has not dashed the spirits of Eric Peevey's charges as optimism still reigns in Beaumont due to the 11 returning starters, 32 returning lettermen and several players being promoted from a junior varsity squad that went 9-1 in 2018

Head Coach: Eric Peevey

Assistant Coaches: Heath Gerlufson (Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line), Jeff Breaux (Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends), James Harper (Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers), Kellen Hayes (Wide Receivers), Shane McGallion (Linebackers), Renwick Johnson (Defensive Backs), Grover Smith (Defensive Line), Tristan Nolan (Wide Receivers), Chris Coats (Offensive Line/Strength and Conditioning), Justin Brock (Offensive Line), Tommie Barrett (Defensive Backs), Derek Peveto (Linebackers), Micheal Barnes (Cornerbacks), Kurt Zihlman (Quarterbacks), Adam Bell (Film)

Offense

Six starters return to the West Brook offense that scored a school record 700 points in 2018.  Leading the Bruin attack will be senior quarterback Troy Yowman (4-0 in four starts, 1000+ yards passing, 6 TD).  Also seeing time at quarterback will be junior Kelly Catholic transfer Braden Sheldon (a starter at Kelly since his freshman year) and sophomore Bryce Anderson, who will be used at different positions in several Bruin offensive packages.  There will be several talented members of the Bruin receiver corp returning as returning 1st team all-district receiver Thad Johnson (1200 yards receiving, 12 TDs in 2018), and returning seniors Joey Pierre and Jordan Babino, will be joined by senior receivers J'Kalen Eaglin, Michaih Semien and Travis Tarver as well as junior Joe Hayes, who moves over from the quarterback role that he filled on the junior varsity team.  Senior tight end Camron Simpson and junior tight end Tyler Tucker will round out a deep squad.  Leading the running attack will be senior Jakobi Holland who will be a threat not only as a rusher but as a reciever out of the backfield.  Expect junior backs Jordan Guidry and Bud Manuel to also get plenty of carries in the West Brook running game.  They will be running behind a young but talented Bruin offensive line.  The lone returning lineman, senior Fred Jones, will be joined on the line by seniors Kenneth Perry, Jarryd Doucet, Ryan Mouton and Jaden Seastrunk with juniors Camron Handy and Ashton Janise also playing big roles up front.

Defense

The Bruin defense will be a bit younger this year as five starters return from the 2018 squad that caused 38 turnovers in 2018. Returning seniors Jay Bell and Markel Clark (both all-district picks who combined for over 24 sacks in 2018) will be joined up front by seniors B.J. Peterson, Quaylon Coleman, Brandon Martinez, Raybren Morris and Kimbrel Jones as well as sophomore Jayden Davis.  The linebacker corp will be equally deep as returning seniors Cole Maloy (2nd team all-district) and Desmond Jackson, who combined for over 200 tackles in 2018, will be joined by junior Gabe Silva and sophomore Garret Richard.  Senior strong safety Nate'a Coleman and senior cornerback Dekryrie Richard will be joined by talented sophomore Anderson to anchor a young secondary with a number of new faces such as seniors Ryan Henson, Forrest Hollifield, Isaiah Chetham, Demarcus Logan and Aa-Donte Coleman.  Also look for junior Caleb David to take up several positions in the Bruin secondary.

Special Teams

Senior Kevin Linares (2nd team all-district in 2018) will handle the kicking duties for West Brook while Yowman (1st team all-district) will again handle the punting.  The Bruins will be deep in the kick returner corp as Johnson, Anderson, Holland and Babino will figure in the return game.

Schedule

Aug. 30 – Bellaire, 7:00 pm

Sept. 6 – Houston Strake Jesuit, 7:00 pm

Sept. 13 – at Houston Lamar, 7:00 pm

Sept. 20 – OPEN

Sept. 27 – Sheldon C.E. King, 7:00*

Oct. 4 – at Beaumont United, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 11 – Channelview, 7:00 pm*

Oct. 18 – at La Porte, 7:00*

Oct. 24 – Galena Park North Shore, 7:00 pm*

Nov. 1 – at Deer Park, 7:00 pm*

Nov. 7 – Baytown Sterling, 7:00 pm*

• 4 weeks later...

Besides North Shore, nobody will beat them in the regular season.  As long as they can get a D2 bid for the playoffs (which means 2 of the 3 between North Shore, Deer Park and Channelview must make the playoffs) another magical run is possible.

I like how Peevey shows a lot of love to his kids in this write up and I'm quite sure in Dave Campbells as well.

10 minutes ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Besides North Shore, nobody will beat them in the regular season.  As long as they can get a D2 bid for the playoffs (which means 2 of the 3 between North Shore, Deer Park and Channelview must make the playoffs) another magical run is possible.

I like how Peevey shows a lot of love to his kids in this write up and I'm quite sure in Dave Campbells as well.

No doubt.  I agree with everything you said. And Coach Peevey showed how much he love those kids with his emotional interview after that state Simifinal game .

56 minutes ago, prepballfan said:

That sophomore is going to be crazy explosive who knows he may be starting by years end 

He'll be starting at Safety. They'll move him around on offense. The skills positions are loaded with speed and talent.

I met WB HC Eric Peevey yesterday. After 2 minutes of brief conversation, I'm hooked. Of course I've been rooting for WB as the only big school in the area. But man, you guys got a helluva coach. Sounds like bigger things are coming, and a lot sooner than anyone expected. Cant wait to see the highly recruited Bryce, make his mark on sext football history.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:33 AM, Alpha Wolf said:

Don’t sleep on Strake, but besides them and of course NS I like Brook in every game 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Kourt1
    Newest Member
    Kourt1