Why does West Brook dominate BISD football?

Well, for almost over 2 decades, they've had the highest enrollment in Beaumont.  More kids to choose from.  Especially  when Ozen was created and Central  moved down a classification.   

Also, when coaching changes do happen,  seems that after Rhabb left, WB got the better coaches out of the picks.  Seems like the hiring criteria was different in the west end and the rest of town.   I remember prior to Central getting Foreman, I would always ask why Central or Ozen never interviewed White coaches but West Brook always seem to get a white coach.  

Finaly, there are pee wee leagues  all over the west end that give those kids a jump early.  Didn't have that on this side of I-10 until  recently.

In conclusion, I think the football games with two 6a schools will become more competitive  with wins going back and forth in the near future.

6 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Well, for almost over 2 decades, they've had the highest enrollment in Beaumont.  More kids to choose from.  Especially  when Ozen was created and Central  moved down a classification.   

Also, when coaching changes do happen,  seems that after Rhabb left, WB got the better coaches out of the picks.  Seems like the hiring criteria was different in the west end and the rest of town.   I remember prior to Central getting Foreman, I would always ask why Central or Ozen never interviewed White coaches but West Brook always seem to get a white coach.  

Finaly, there are pee wee leagues  all over the west end that give those kids a jump early.  Didn't have that on this side of I-10 until  recently.

In conclusion, I think the football games with two 6a schools will become more competitive  with wins going back and forth in the near future.

Are white coaches better or something? Lol

To the extent students/families have some choice as to which school to attend, I think there is something to be said for past successes providing an incentive for students to go to one school over another, which leads to that school being better in the future, which leads to more success later. I don't think this is the whole explanation, but I think it is a part of it.

If kids know that Westbrook tends to be more stable, organized, funded, supported, and has tended to win more games in the past, kids are more likely to (1) want to go, and (2) buy into whatever system Westbrook has that lead to that success, and then Westbrook has success, which cycles into students wanting to be there and buying into Westbrook's programs. If a school isn't like that, it's the same cycle, just in reverse. Though, I should add: This theory only makes sense to the extent students/families are choosing where to live based on what school they want to attend. There are definitely other things that go into what makes one school more consistently competitive than other schools, but this is one big one that I think helps explain part of it. 

24 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

To the extent students/families have some choice as to which school to attend, I think there is something to be said for past successes providing an incentive for students to go to one school over another, which leads to that school being better in the future, which leads to more success later. I don't think this is the whole explanation, but I think it is a part of it.

If kids know that Westbrook tends to be more stable, organized, funded, supported, and has tended to win more games in the past, kids are more likely to (1) want to go, and (2) buy into whatever system Westbrook has that lead to that success, and then Westbrook has success, which cycles into students wanting to be there and buying into Westbrook's programs. If a school isn't like that, it's the same cycle, just in reverse. Though, I should add: This theory only makes sense to the extent students/families are choosing where to live based on what school they want to attend. There are definitely other things that go into what makes one school more consistently competitive than other schools, but this is one big one that I think helps explain part of it. 

Yes.  Also factor in Brook is fresh off a state championship appearance and United is fresh off a 2 win season.

16 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I COMPLETELY  agree.  They really do.  Peevey did an EXCELLENT  job after Flannigan left.

It’s really going to be interesting if he stays for the long haul or ends up somewhere else. Also I think it’s no excuse for United not to have a top notch coach. Get a active football coach for goodness sakes.  To much talent to be struggling and  put the kids in the right spot and play football. I have a Central buddy that was not happy about the season. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

It's just weird to me how one school can dominate it's in-town rivals for the better part of 10-15 yrs I believe it is, even beating Central and/or Ozen when they were the more talented overall team. 

I don't think the student enrollment disparity that Soulja mentioned can't be overlooked. In fact, when Ozen and Central were merged to form United, their combined enrollment was still about 60 students short of West Brook's.

9 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I don't think the student enrollment disparity that Soulja mentioned can't be overlooked. In fact, when Ozen and Central were merged to form United, their combined enrollment was still about 60 students short of West Brook's.

Good point, but I was talking bout Central  and Ozen separately.    

8 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Yeah, that is what I mean. If their combined enrollments didn't match West Brook, can you imagine what the disparity was for pre-merger Ozen and Central?

That's it.  But I'm definitely  not using that as an excuse,just offering up somewhat of explaining the dominance.   They just win.  Even on some of those barn burners with Central,  the one score games and such, WB still found ways to win.  Just wish that Ozen or Central could've found more success. United can, but if ET or AL leading the charge, those chances are downright bleak.  

2 hours ago, LC-M said:

I’m sure Westbrook coach is getting some offers to head out of town. They need to pay the man 

He probably is but imo he s not going anywhere.  He s close to his hometown, he got the Westbrook job at the right time along with going to the SC.  I don’t foresee United even coming close to hanging with WB for the next 3 or 4 years maybe more.  Depends on who United hires after Ed. 

The only weakness I see WB having this coming year is oline. And they won’t have lray to bail them out.  I think the gun slinger will be good as long as he gets protection.  

15 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

He probably is but imo he s not going anywhere.  He s close to his hometown, he got the Westbrook job at the right time along with going to the SC.  I don’t foresee United even coming close to hanging with WB for the next 3 or 4 years maybe more.  Depends on who United hires after Ed. 

The only weakness I see WB having this coming year is oline. And they won’t have lray to bail them out.  I think the gun slinger will be good as long as he gets protection.  

Is Bryce playing QB on varsity? 

10 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

Westbrook is more of an affluent area and yes they also have better coaching. I’ve stated before; more affluent areas have better athletic programs, bottom line. Just look at the majority of the state champions in ALL sports over the past decade. 

Well Forest Park was located in the same "affluent" area that the current Westbrook is located. When the forces that be combined (Hebert and Forest Park) schools and hired a never duplicated Alex Durley a player's coach.Then and only then did the winning begin. Top student-athletes from Beaumon'ts middle schools will definitely seek to go to Westbrook a winning program with a better coaching staff no matter what zone they live in. I agree with you in part however on affluent areas having better coaches and success. It'll take a proven winning coach to turn United program into something special. The hiring reputation BISD currently has want attract what's needed. The swamp will have to be drained completely  to give these deserving kids a chance to win regularly on and off the field and that "aint" happening. Politics and back room deals that take care of friends will continue to prevail. jmo... 

11 hours ago, Reagan said:

Better coaching!  Did anyone one think that an old retread of a failed coach was going to be successful at United?  The really shameful part was that the kids had to suffer because of a stupid decision!

And BINGO was his name-o.  I didn't and a 2-8 season proves you and me right.  The group of kids were better than 2-8 so you tell me where the problem lies...

14 hours ago, LC-M said:

It’s really going to be interesting if he stays for the long haul or ends up somewhere else. Also I think it’s no excuse for United not to have a top notch coach. Get a active football coach for goodness sakes.  To much talent to be struggling and  put the kids in the right spot and play football. I have a Central buddy that was not happy about the season. 

A lot of us former Jaguars were not happy about the season.  Central wasn't any world beaters but the teams always got out there and competed.  Some people are use to 2-8 seasons...

Todd Peterman was a top notch coach that applied but he didn't go to Antioch or Ozen with the current Superintendent.  He actually came down an interviewed, wanted the job but she wouldn't let him bring his OC and DC.  He would have had to use all the coaches already at the school.