Art Briles returns to Texas High School Football

WOSgrad

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

So I have some questions...how many games will MV win now?  How deep will they go?  How long will he stay?

I’m curious to see how wrong the predictions will be.  Like so many other schools after hiring a great coach.

I predict 1-2 yrs before he's off to the college ranks again. MV was winning without him just the last 2yrs, I think 20-5 last 2yrs. 

On 6/3/2019 at 10:47 AM, oldschool2 said:

So I have some questions...how many games will MV win now?  How deep will they go?  How long will he stay?

I’m curious to see how wrong the predictions will be.  Like so many other schools after hiring a great coach.

This is a tough question.  It took Briles 7 years to start winning his 3 State Championships in 4 years.  Now, will he stay that long at MV?  Who knows.  Is he good enough to bring a State Championship to MV before 7 years?  Absolutely he is!  What in his coaching past would make anyone think otherwise?!

Guest ECBucFan

Briles has lots of connections. As soon as all the BS hysteria dies down, and he coaches at Mount Vernon and the sky does not fall. he will quickly become a commodity again. I think Briles stays two years at MV. then 2 years at a small college, then right back to a major college job. Ju$t watch!

On 6/4/2019 at 1:30 PM, Reagan said:

This is a tough question.  It took Briles 7 years to start winning his 3 State Championships in 4 years.  Now, will he stay that long at MV?  Who knows.  Is he good enough to bring a State Championship to MV before 7 years?  Absolutely he is!  What in his coaching past would make anyone think otherwise?!

I stand corrected:  It took Briles only 6 years to start his State Championship run.  Another correction:  He won 4 State Championships in his last 7 years.  3 of those were 16-0. And 1 was 15-1.  Impressive on any level.  The previous 73 years, of the schools existence or the keeping of records, Stephenville had NEVER won a State Championship.  Briles comes in and wins 4!  Contrary to what some think, it is about coaching.  Otherwise one would have to believe that the athletes only showed up at Stephenville when Art Briles was there.  I guess it's possible.  But...

On 5/25/2019 at 10:40 AM, ECBucFan said:

Great hire by MV. Briles was unfairly demonized by a ESPN liberal politics hit job. Briles will set himself up for another NCAA job in two years. Congrats to AB and MV!

Didn't he bring in a player that was kicked out of Georgia and LSU for sexual assault? Winning at all cost and covering up his players lack of discipline off the field got his ass demonized and fired. And, rightfully so!

Guest ECBucFan
11 minutes ago, Yeoj said:

Didn't he bring in a player that was kicked out of Georgia and LSU for sexual assault? 

Probably so. What coach at major programs have teams comprised of 100% perfect chiorboys? 

This is more of a reflection of the baggage that many top D-1 players have than any particular coach. At least you see its the PLAYER who comitted the offense. Many don't. Recruit 80 players and you are bound to have a bad apple or 3 that messes up. Briles should not have brought in that guy you reference, and I am sure he knows it. Before you celebrate Briles departure though, remember Briles was bought out. He walked away smiling with millions in his pockets.     

6 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

Probably so. What coach at major programs have teams comprised of 100% perfect chiorboys? 

This is more of a reflection of the baggage that many top D-1 players have than any particular coach. At least you see its the PLAYER who comitted the offense. Many don't. Recruit 80 players and you are bound to have a bad apple or 3 that messes up. Briles should not have brought in that guy you reference, and I am sure he knows it. Before you celebrate Briles departure though, remember Briles was bought out. He walked away smiling with millions in his pockets.     

Yeah if winning games is that important to you. There's a law suit that claims Baylor had 52 rapes in four years under Briles. SMDH... My daughter will be attending Baylor in August and I say good bye and good riddance to this horrible man that would cover up anything to win. And, I hear there are parents in MT Vernon that are pissed with this hire. 

Guest ECBucFan
1 hour ago, Yeoj said:

And, I hear there are parents in MT Vernon that are pissed with this hire. 

Many parents are excited and pumped up, too. But no worries for MV, he won't be there long. 

Soon onward and upwards for Briles.   

As a Baylor alum this is an interesting thread to read. I have many opinions on this matter, but feel like my opinions are shaded by my green and gold glasses so I am not going to get into them too much. Just to keep it brief, if the right thing to do was to clean out the football program then it would have also been correct for the Board of Regents to resign and re-elect new ones. Only one of those things happened, and it is a fact that the vast majority of issues were not in football. I, along with many other alumni, remain highly upset with the Board's handling of the situation. The policies they set at the university were more to blame than any one individual or coach at Baylor.

Anyway, back to Briles -

Remember Briles is 63 years old. He is either going to be at Mount Vernon for a couple of years and jump or he is going to end his career there. Not a lot of 65+ guys taking on a job at a major college considering it normally takes 3 or 4 years to put your system in. It took Briles 3 years to turn Baylor around and that was with RG3 at QB.

Also, to note is the NCAA has not ruled on the Baylor/Briles situation yet. If they believe Briles did anything they can slap him with a show-cause penalty which will keep any NCAA institution from hiring him for a period of time. The NCAA is expected to release their ruling on this at some point this summer.

On 6/14/2019 at 2:29 PM, sahen said:

As a Baylor alum this is an interesting thread to read. I have many opinions on this matter, but feel like my opinions are shaded by my green and gold glasses so I am not going to get into them too much. Just to keep it brief, if the right thing to do was to clean out the football program then it would have also been correct for the Board of Regents to resign and re-elect new ones. Only one of those things happened, and it is a fact that the vast majority of issues were not in football. I, along with many other alumni, remain highly upset with the Board's handling of the situation. The policies they set at the university were more to blame than any one individual or coach at Baylor.

Anyway, back to Briles -

Remember Briles is 63 years old. He is either going to be at Mount Vernon for a couple of years and jump or he is going to end his career there. Not a lot of 65+ guys taking on a job at a major college considering it normally takes 3 or 4 years to put your system in. It took Briles 3 years to turn Baylor around and that was with RG3 at QB.

Also, to note is the NCAA has not ruled on the Baylor/Briles situation yet. If they believe Briles did anything they can slap him with a show-cause penalty which will keep any NCAA institution from hiring him for a period of time. The NCAA is expected to release their ruling on this at some point this summer.

Let’s not kid ourselves, Coach Finney didn’t exactly leave Briles a crappy squad. 

Mount Vernon ISD made a statement by hiring Art Briles as the high school's new head football coach and athletic director.

On Monday, the community has a chance to speak out. 

This is the hidden content, please
(via @JoeJHoyt)

#txhsfb

This should be interesting. 

22 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

Let’s not kid ourselves, Coach Finney didn’t exactly leave Briles a crappy squad. 

Not sure your point.  But the fact:  Art Briles -- 4 State Championships.   Josh Finney -- 0 State Championships.   Art Briles didn't "need" anyone's athletes when he won 4 State Championships at Stephenville after not winning one the previous 73 years.  And he doesn't need anyone's now.  If he stays long enough, he'll bring Mount Vernon a State Championship.  What in his past would make anyone think otherwise?!

4 hours ago, Reagan said:

Not sure your point.  But the fact:  Art Briles -- 4 State Championships.   Josh Finney -- 0 State Championships.   Art Briles didn't "need" anyone's athletes when he won 4 State Championships at Stephenville after not winning one the previous 73 years.  And he doesn't need anyone's now.  If he stays long enough, he'll bring Mount Vernon a State Championship.  What in his past would make anyone think otherwise?!

Easy there big dog. I’m certainly not taking anything away from Coach Briles, as he’s obviously a great coach, but so is Coach Finney. I’m simply saying that Briles is not starting from scratch and is going into a pretty good situation. Coach Finney did an incredible job there at MV, as he’s done at every place he’s been. I think we can both agree that there are plenty of great coaches out there that don’t have a state title on their resume. All this being said I’m glad to see Coach Briles get a second chance and I don’t think there’s any doubt he will be successful.

On 6/6/2019 at 10:09 AM, Reagan said:

I stand corrected:  It took Briles only 6 years to start his State Championship run.  Another correction:  He won 4 State Championships in his last 7 years.  3 of those were 16-0. And 1 was 15-1.  Impressive on any level.  The previous 73 years, of the schools existence or the keeping of records, Stephenville had NEVER won a State Championship.  Briles comes in and wins 4!  Contrary to what some think, it is about coaching.  Otherwise one would have to believe that the athletes only showed up at Stephenville when Art Briles was there.  I guess it's possible.  But...

Absolutely the athletes showed up when he was at Stephenville. I mean Briles is obviously a great coach, but you’re not winning without players....period! Jason Bragg, Brandon Stewart, Glenn Odell, and a few years later Kendall Briles(he finished HS at Wolforth Freindship) just to name a few of the D1 players off of those squads. Stewart split time with one Peyton Manning his first year at Tennessee. 

P.S. Buddy Garrity will back me up ok this 

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:58 PM, ECBucFan said:

Briles strikes me as a very young 63 year old with tons left in the tank. Not disagreeing, just sayin'. 

I agree, but could be different in 5 years. Unfortunately, time catches up to us all at some point and it is probably sooner rather than later for Briles. Coaching kids at any level is not an easy job, but going to an NCAA D1 school will become difficult if he starts feeling his age and is pushing 70.

4 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

Absolutely the athletes showed up when he was at Stephenville. I mean Briles is obviously a great coach, but you’re not winning without players....period! Jason Bragg, Brandon Stewart, Glenn Odell, and a few years later Kendall Briles(he finished HS at Wolforth Freindship) just to name a few of the D1 players off of those squads. Stewart split time with one Peyton Manning his first year at Tennessee. 

P.S. Buddy Garrity will back me up ok this 

Some folks forget Sville had move-ins. Amazing how that works. 

Btw: it's still happening there. ;)

28 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Some folks forget Sville had move-ins. Amazing how that works. 

Btw: it's still happening there. ;)

Go see the move-ins North Shore just got today.

More

RICH GET RICHER ICYMI - ‘21 OL Jaeden Roberts and ‘20 LB Matthew Roberts have transferred from Kansas to... North Shore OL has offers from #bama to #Texas. LB has #tamu offer @NSNationFB @abc13sports

Guest ECBucFan

NS has to keep up with Allen and Duncanville. Allen recruits uhm, I mean, um, seems very attractive to D1 prospects from coast to coast.   

'We have our own opinions here': Despite national outrage, Mount Vernon's first board meeting since Art Briles hire remains cordial

via @JoeJHoyt 

STORY :

#txhsfb