Former Lamar head coach Ray Woodard to be named Head Coach at Chester

No thank you from me.  Consolidation means losing your community identity, kids getting lost in the shuffle, teachers losing their jobs, long-long-long bus rides.  I am a product of that school and a proud alumni.  Just out of my class you had a chemical engineer, a financial aid director, several teachers, banker, law enforcement, successful business owners.  You and you alone are responsible for how serious you take your education.  Sports have been down, but eventually they will cycle back up.  If Chester combined with anyone it would logically be Colmesneil.  North Tyler County Piney-Wood Rooters (wild hog).  I just don’t see that ever happening.

Believe me when I say this I used to think the same way. I have just seen to many kids get told they are not college materiali or they aren’t athletic enough or we don’t have money for our sports program to you can’t stand out in a larger school and they fall by the wayside. The truth is yes these are great schools with good intentions, but don’t have the resources or coaching the kids need. Another problem these schools have had is, they haven’t in the past offered if any AP classes. Chester is a super small school that has historically put 5A talent on the field . Then when school is over the community expects them to go to the mill and work .  I just think there is something better for our kids.

8 hours ago, longball24 said:

Believe me when I say this I used to think the same way. I have just seen to many kids get told they are not college materiali or they aren’t athletic enough or we don’t have money for our sports program to you can’t stand out in a larger school and they fall by the wayside. The truth is yes these are great schools with good intentions, but don’t have the resources or coaching the kids need. Another problem these schools have had is, they haven’t in the past offered if any AP classes. Chester is a super small school that has historically put 5A talent on the field . Then when school is over the community expects them to go to the mill and work .  I just think there is something better for our kids.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 7:05 PM, longball24 said:

More info you may be unaware of . Over the last 3 years there have been up to 6 of Woodvilles starters were originally from Chester including their star RB Zack Martin.

Woodville had a couple Colmesneil kids starting for them also