new pitcher

Omar Single, 2nd & 3rd 0 out

Butler K- ball thrown to 1st.  Final out at home   

Nederland just got the shaft I think  

MW  4-7-1

Ned 2-8-1

Final 

17 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

According to the announcer the ball was at least a foot fair.  They are still arguing.  

Ball called foul again.  Wtf

How do you let first base ump overrule home plate on a fair foul ball down third base line is beyond me. The infielder slid to stop it and knocked it foul... then player safe at home with foot on bag but ump wasn’t in position and called out then ran off field before any one could question. Horrible...

10 minutes ago, AllSportsMom said:

How do you let first base ump overrule home plate on a fair foul ball down third base line is beyond me. The infielder slid to stop it and knocked it foul... then player safe at home with foot on bag but ump wasn’t in position and called out then ran off field before any one could question. Horrible...

With 4 man crews in the playoffs, there should have been an ump standing right there.  Who called it foul originally?

9 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

With 4 man crews in the playoffs, there should have been an ump standing right there.  Who called it foul originally?

I was told 3rd base...then Spell protested to the home plate ump who changed it to fair...then the crew got together and ruled it foul.  Hate to see a game decided by officials.

58 minutes ago, KABrother said:

I was told 3rd base...then Spell protested to the home plate ump who changed it to fair...then the crew got together and ruled it foul.  Hate to see a game decided by officials.

If the original call was foul. You gotta go with foul. 

21 minutes ago, Callaway7 said:

If the original call was foul. You gotta go with foul. 

Completely agree with that.  Wasn’t there to see it...just going off of the broadcast and talking to people that were there.  If they would have overturned it then MW would have just as much or more of a beef as Ned does now.

Why do you have to stick with the original call of foul if it was ABSOLUTELY, 100% the wrong call??? That's about the most ridiculous thing I've read on the internet in the past 5 minutes.  Question for the umpires on the board from a mechanics standpoint, but is fair or foul the home plate umpires responsibility until it gets to the bag, and the base umpires call past the bag?  Brutal ending

7 hours ago, NDOMAKONG said:

Why do you have to stick with the original call of foul if it was ABSOLUTELY, 100% the wrong call??? That's about the most ridiculous thing I've read on the internet in the past 5 minutes.  Question for the umpires on the board from a mechanics standpoint, but is fair or foul the home plate umpires responsibility until it gets to the bag, and the base umpires call past the bag?  Brutal ending

Part 1 - Because a fair call is not verbally announced vs a foul call is verbally announced, players are to assume a ball is fair until they hear a foul call.  Once an umpire yells foul it kills the play.  Comparison in football would be a player running down the sideline and ruled to step out of bounds but he actually doesn’t.  Once the whistle is blown or in this case foul is called you can’t assume what would happen after that.

Part 2 - My understanding (and I’m not a TASO umpire) is that in a typical HS game where there are 2 umpire, the home plate ump has fair foul down the line with the exception being when no runners are on and the field ump has from the back of the back to the fence down the RF line.  Now with this being a 4 man crew I don’t know if there is any change to that.  I have seen MLB field umpires make that fair/foul ruling over the base.

Correct, you never assume an out will be made or that a base runner would've scored...etc.  But if a fair / foul call is clearly missed, why wouldn't the runner stay at 3rd, but the batter who hit the ball fair and is clearly safe, is ruled to stay at 1st?  That would seem to be the same as allowing the runner in your football analogy, to gain the yardage at the point the whistle was blown, not go back to the line of scrimmage because an official made an error?  Just curious, doesn't matter at this point.