BH across all sports in 18-19

BH85

Barbers Hill enjoyed our first year in the Golden Triangle District
District champs in Volleyball, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Spring Tennis,  Girls Golf, Girls Cross Country, Boys Cross Country
Runner up in Team Tennis, Boys Track
Made playoffs in football
It will be tough to repeat in all of these areas, but look to compete in most.

43 minutes ago, BH85 said:

District champs in Volleyball, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Spring Tennis,  Girls Golf, Girls Cross Country, Boys Cross Country

Some in the Triangle might be rethinking their desire to have BH in the local district.

14 hours ago, BH85 said:

Also BH girls track were district champs. 

3 hours ago, scat_trap said:

And where will BH go next? It seems to me the community has loftier expectations in football than what reality dictates.

That is the same in most communities in Texas when it comes to football.  Some schools extend those loftier expectations in other sports also.  

Guest ECBucFan
13 hours ago, scat_trap said:

And where will BH go next? It seems to me the community has loftier expectations in football than what reality dictates.

But when you pay top dollar for THE biggest name in TX HS FB, wouldn't it stand to reason that "loftier expectations" would naturally follow?  

It's a process, but they'll continue to get better in football.  The entire community is committed to building a big time winner, and all the conditions are conducive for it to happen.  They have the right guy to get it done... I just hope the community realizes it takes time to get done.

On 4/30/2019 at 6:42 PM, ECBucFan said:

But when you pay top dollar for THE biggest name in TX HS FB, wouldn't it stand to reason that "loftier expectations" would naturally follow?  

In a lot of places when you shell the money out to "bring in a known winner" it's really just polishing a turd.  Parents still don't accept the fact that their gene pool has a bigger play in wins and losses.

I completely understand the whole mindset though. It's the shiny new object that's going to solve everyone's problems and it bothers me that people are that gullible to think one person will be the catalyst for change.

To me when people take that mindset it's no different than these "select" ball parents shelling out thousands of dollars a year to win a "world series" or those that spend money on private trainers to make JR a college athlete..."I paid the money and expect immediate and long term success!"

Guest ECBucFan
On 5/1/2019 at 9:41 AM, 2wedge said:

The Westerburg salary:  The biggest myth in TXHSFB.

Well, TW aside, the real "salary" emcompasses more than just the $$ paid out to a  coach. You have to look at the whole package, much of which might be beyond the quick glance of the general public. 

Does the spouse of the hire get handed a high paying ISD job? Son(s) hired and set up? Daughter(s)? Brother(s) Close freinds? Perks? 

Lets be real, so much goes on behind the scenes in so many districts. There is AMPLE evidence if anyone looks deeper in most cases. I have seen a whole lot through the years in SETX.      

1 hour ago, ECBucFan said:

Well, TW aside, the real "salary" emcompasses more than just the $$ paid out to a  coach. You have to look at the whole package, much of which might be beyond the quick glance of the general public. 

Does the spouse of the hire get handed a high paying ISD job? Son(s) hired and set up? Daughter(s)? Brother(s) Close freinds? Perks? 

Lets be real, so much goes on behind the scenes in so many districts. There is AMPLE evidence if anyone looks deeper in most cases. I have seen a whole lot through the years in SETX.      

I agree, but this doesn't happen only in High School Football, lets not pretend managers don't hire their buddies and family first, often over more qualified people. I would say this happens in almost every industry. I think this is just normal in the world we live in. People in management will hire people they trust Ie family and friends. That's why when the manager is fired in most business's you have to clean house so the new manager can bring in their people. 

BH also won the underwater basket weaving DC! It was tough against Dayton , but they suck so bad the water disappeared once they entered the pool.

Yall don’t worry about TW we like him just fine. Glad we’re in this district:)

Guest ECBucFan
On 5/3/2019 at 0:32 PM, Blockdownandkickout! said:

I agree, but this doesn't happen only in High School Football, lets not pretend managers don't hire their buddies and family first, often over more qualified people.

I agree. I never pretended otherwise. Not sure why you implied that. 

Nepotism is at epedemic levels in some places. I could tell you stories, but I won't, LOL.  

2 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

I agree. I never pretended otherwise. Not sure why you implied that. 

Nepotism is at epedemic levels in some places. I could tell you stories, but I won't, LOL.  

Didn’t mean to imply you didn’t EC, Was just adding my thoughts to the situation. People get upset about Westerberg and his wife and son having jobs in the same district and I was just trying to say it’s not uncommon it happens all the time. 

Same about the stories some of these plant managers are crazy lol 

Guest ECBucFan

Its all good. I must say I agree with the thread that BH has been impressive across most sports lately. I hope the Softball and Baseball teams can keep their playoff runs going!

On 5/2/2019 at 5:38 PM, scat_trap said:

In a lot of places when you shell the money out to "bring in a known winner" it's really just polishing a turd.  Parents still don't accept the fact that their gene pool has a bigger play in wins and losses.

I completely understand the whole mindset though. It's the shiny new object that's going to solve everyone's problems and it bothers me that people are that gullible to think one person will be the catalyst for change.

To me when people take that mindset it's no different than these "select" ball parents shelling out thousands of dollars a year to win a "world series" or those that spend money on private trainers to make JR a college athlete..."I paid the money and expect immediate and long term success!"

Of course what I am about to say is pure speculation.  I know there are different views on whether the coach is the most important piece or the players.  My thought has always been it's the coach.  So, let me ask your opinion:  With the QB that PN-G had over the past two years, do you think that the coach at Carthage or Aledo could have had PN-G challenging for the State Championship and possibly won it once or twice? 

17 hours ago, Reagan said:

Of course what I am about to say is pure speculation.  I know there are different views on whether the coach is the most important piece or the players.  My thought has always been it's the coach.  So, let me ask your opinion:  With the QB that PN-G had over the past two years, do you think that the coach at Carthage or Aledo could have had PN-G challenging for the State Championship and possibly won it once or twice? 

Fort Bend Marshal 53

PNG 14

PNG was completely out manned in that game. They had 4 dudes score multiple TD's. As special as RJ was at PNG, in my opinion, the answer would be no. RJ didn't have enough around him to compete with that Fort Bend Marshall team. 

23 hours ago, Reagan said:

Maybe the coach would have a better game plan other than run RJ until his tongue is on the turf, but I agree with Coach01  he didn't have a ton of weapons.  Which is why I don't look for PNG to be as competitive this year.   (Cue the PNG folks! :) )