Solving Social Security's Impending Insolvency!

Reagan

It is my understanding that LBJ moved the Social Security Trust Fund money into the government's general fund to help mask the cost of the Viet Nam war.  We have nothing more than IOU's in the fund now.  My suggestions:  Stop putting into the general fund and keep everything in the trust fund.  Wow, no brainer there!  Then I would eliminate the Dept's of Education and Energy and earmark those expenditures to the SS trust fund.  Remember -- these two dept's were created by Jimma Carter in the late 70's.  Oh yeah, Carter also gave us gasoline lines.  But that's a story for a different time.  Anyway, those two dept's were not needed then and are not needed now.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

4 hours ago, mat said:

I would have no problem eliminating either of these. However, would you also propose eliminating the funding of each that goes to each state? If so, how would that affect each state? If not, how would we managed the allocations?

Mat, good question.  I would say this:  Jimma Carter created the dept of Education as a payoff to the teacher's union for their support.  So, apparently it was not needed before that.  Every state has a dept of Education.  Just go back to the formula, whatever form that was, before he created it.  Education seemed to work just fine previous to this creation. 

19 hours ago, Reagan said:

Mat, good question.  I would say this:  Jimma Carter created the dept of Education as a payoff to the teacher's union for their support.  So, apparently it was not needed before that.  Every state has a dept of Education.  Just go back to the formula, whatever form that was, before he created it.  Education seemed to work just fine previous to this creation. 

Once programs like education and energy are established it is very hard to revert back. The same is even so for social security. It was never intended to be mandatory or a primary retirement income but that's where it is.

11 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

I’m 39.  I would give up everything I’ve paid up to now if they let me opt out.  

Imagine having 12.4% of your money to do with as you please or fund a personal retirement account.  I guarantee you it would be a lot more than you will ever get from SS

Agree...they take money by force using the IRS instead of a gun.

Allowing folks to secure their own social security would take away too much power, not to mention a great revenue stream to steal from.