What’s Our Biggest School Problem ?

Hagar

If you were appointed Head Man/Women to fix education, but you could only do one thing, what would you do?  I see people complaining about, new buildings, more computers, etc. etc.  I even heard a black man recently say, We need to provide education for black children.  That’s bs.  I don’t know anywhere in the US that education isn’t provided.  Now before I give you my “one thing”, I need to tell you, I’m not an educator/teacher, but I’ve been educated and taught, and my “one thing” was in force then.  

The one thing I’d decree would be discipline.  Yep, lil Johnnny would know the primary reason he’s in school is to learn.  And everyone in that school would be subject to a paddling.  Bring back those cherished pieces of oak with the holes drilled in.  My HS principal was 6’5” tall and probably weighed 275.  When he gave you licks, even your butt saw stars.  And you wanted to cry, but you had to save face.  I remember someone saying, Children need a pat on the back, as long as it’s low enough and often enough.  That’s my 2 cents, and here’s the reason.  The California Senate just passed a Bill Banning Suspension of Students for Willful Defiance of Teachers, Principals, or School Administrators.  The Bill should be suspended until every Senator that voted for that has spent at least 3 months teaching a Junior High, or High School Class.  Then come back & vote again.

This is the hidden content, please

100%  

Not sure about outside the Golden triangle area but corporal punishment is still used. More at some schools than others.  The main problem is the environment these kids live in (parents) and that goes for all nationalities and races.  When there s no consistent discipline and accountability at the home......

There is some parents that need corporal punishment

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

If you were appointed Head Man/Women to fix education, but you could only do one thing, what would you do?  I see people complaining about, new buildings, more computers, etc. etc.  I even heard a black man recently say, We need to provide education for black children.  That’s bs.  I don’t know anywhere in the US that education isn’t provided.  Now before I give you my “one thing”, I need to tell you, I’m not an educator/teacher, but I’ve been educated and taught, and my “one thing” was in force then.  

The one thing I’d decree would be discipline.  Yep, lil Johnnny would know the primary reason he’s in school is to learn.  And everyone in that school would be subject to a paddling.  Bring back those cherished pieces of oak with the holes drilled in.  My HS principal was 6’5” tall and probably weighed 275.  When he gave you licks, even your butt saw stars.  And you wanted to cry, but you had to save face.  I remember someone saying, Children need a pat on the back, as long as it’s low enough and often enough.  That’s my 2 cents, and here’s the reason.  The California Senate just passed a Bill Banning Suspension of Students for Willful Defiance of Teachers, Principals, or School Administrators.  The Bill should be suspended until every Senator that voted for that has spent at least 3 months teaching a Junior High, or High School Class.  Then come back & vote again.

Excellent post, and yes, I met Sally. You would never sass a teacher. That would mean two whippings.

Next, I would give teachers a raise for a sometimes thankless job. Then I would return the curriculum to the 3Rs.

Schools have become 8 hour day cares. No one baby sat me.

• 3 weeks later...

“Adversity Score” to be added to SAT scores to help the underprivileged.

Our education system is lost

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (

) - The non-profit College Board which oversees SAT scores will be adding what is being called an 'Adversity Score' to students taking the test in hopes of getting into college.

According to the 

, a research study of the program was launched in 2016, followed by a pilot program in 2018. Now, according to the

, the pilot will be expanded to 150 schools this fall with plans to continue growth in 2020.

Quote:

The goal of the 'Adversity Score' is to provide what the College Board calls

. The student's location and high school serve as the basis for information of their environment. Factors such as crime rate, poverty rate, housing values, median income, family income, and access to advanced course work are among the factors which grade the student's environment.

At some point in the future I am sure they will just add the score to the real test score without any note.