GCM is Open

This is the hidden content, please

More

BREAKING Goose Creek Memorial HC Bren Jones has resigned his post and will take a job on staff at Smithson Valley

I believe Coach Jones will coach football and be the Head Track coach.

Best of luck to him. Good coach, better man.

38 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

More

BREAKING Goose Creek Memorial HC Bren Jones has resigned his post and will take a job on staff at Smithson Valley

I believe Coach Jones will coach football and be the Head Track coach.

Best of luck to him. Good coach, better man.

Wow that’s late into the season.... how long has he been the HC at GCM? Couldn’t have been but 3 or 4 football seasons

4 minutes ago, GCMNation5 said:

No I do not think so. Atleast not any time soon. It would get voted down anyway.

I figured they weren’t because if they wanted too they would be doing something about it on the current bond proposal y’all are having right now... there was talks on this board about it in the past just didn’t know if it pushed any farther or anything. 

6 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

I figured they weren’t because if they wanted too they would be doing something about it on the current bond proposal y’all are having right now... there was talks on this board about it in the past just didn’t know if it pushed any farther or anything. 

Yea it pretty much died out after being shot down last time. GCCISD and MOST of the city of baytown is ok with Mediocrity. 

7 hours ago, fido said:

GCM needs to clean house and start fresh. Should have done it last time. Bring in a coach who is a proven winner and give Baytown a winner. It’s a shame 3 schools continue to produce losing teams. 

How do you plan on bringing in a “proven winner” in what is almost May?

15 hours ago, The Icon said:

How do you plan on bringing in a “proven winner” in what is almost May?

Good point.  It is pretty late in the year to bring in a new coach and expect results the first year.   Now year 2 would be the first year to expect a jump in results.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:25 AM, fido said:

GCM needs to clean house and start fresh. Should have done it last time. Bring in a coach who is a proven winner and give Baytown a winner. It’s a shame 3 schools continue to produce losing teams. 

Muchos hombres en Baytown es la problema. Hombres muy chiquita y no te gusta futbol Americana, solo futbol 

48 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

Muchos hombres en Baytown es la problema. Hombres muy chiquita y no te gusta futbol Americana, solo futbol 

That's part of the problem, but only as it relates to participation numbers and UIL classification.

The two years in 6A set GCM back four years at least. Many of the better athletes left or focused on one sport other than football. Very few are willing to take a beating on Friday Night for honor and glory.

The UIL could help all of the GCCISD schools by matching them with Pasadena ISD. It's a more comparable demographic and there is no reason for Humble ISD to be in that district.

6 hours ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

That's part of the problem, but only as it relates to participation numbers and UIL classification.

The two years in 6A set GCM back four years at least. Many of the better athletes left or focused on one sport other than football. Very few are willing to take a beating on Friday Night for honor and glory.

The UIL could help all of the GCCISD schools by matching them with Pasadena ISD. It's a more comparable demographic and there is no reason for Humble ISD to be in that district.

100% fact!!

It will all come down to who the Principal of the school wants.  She makes all the hires for that campus.

Their OC would be a good internal candidate, and Lee has a really good OC.  I'm sure this job will draw some outside interest as well.  

I think the only way a Baytown school will win is if they get someone from in Baytown that can get ALL of Baytown excited, and get kids filtering that way.  

6 hours ago, RidinTheRange said:

It will all come down to who the Principal of the school wants.  She makes all the hires for that campus.

Their OC would be a good internal candidate, and Lee has a really good OC.  I'm sure this job will draw some outside interest as well.  

I think the only way a Baytown school will win is if they get someone from in Baytown that can get ALL of Baytown excited, and get kids filtering that way.  

The filtering idea is not even an option, first off as soon as an Influx of kids left one to go to the other there would nine kinds of Hell raised, granted there are a few right now that have transferred for one reason or another over the years, but the kind of migration it would take for one of the 3 schools to become a playoff mainstay, is stuff of fairy tales, just won’t happen. 

With the the 3 school model in effect for the foreseeable future, you could feasibly single out  one sport per school, to focus on. I.e. totally hypothetical here, but have GCM the “baseball” school”, REL the “basketball school” and RSS the “football school”. Baytown isn’t a huge metropolis that is too far to drive for any kid in the district. All the schools are within a 10mile radius. And with each high school having its own Academy that specialize in their own unique curriculum, and gccisd allowing students to attend one of the other 2 schools if the academy They Want is at that school. You could maybe pull it off that way, but it’s still a tall task. 

The short answer to this conundrum, is expectations need to be tempered in the football department, Bc when the one school option was shot down, so were the chances of ever making a deep run in the playoffs in Football.(Cinderella seasons not taken into consideration for this analysis)