Vidor Turf

Hagar

Saw on the News that Vidor had plans for artificial turf.  Since several schools are still closed because of Harvey, there’s some who think turf is a waste of money.  On the other hand, supposedly the Fed Govt is going to cover that.  Typical mess.

Vidor ISD officials weigh getting new football turf and it's creating controversy

This is the hidden content, please

If any coach in the world deserves upgraded facilities, it is Jeff Matthews.  That man gets more out of his kids than any other coach.  He has fielded tough competitive teams in that old Vidor cow pasture for years.  It is long overdue for VISD to give some love to Coach Matthews.  When are the next set of Quirante kids or grandkids coming through the ISD?

Go Indians.  Peace.

Factor in the fact that the Booster Club is also paying at least half of the cost and it's not the school footing the whole bill.  We need it. The field is bad.  Of course any athlete that steps foot on the field will benefit from it, from Junior High players to High School players. 

Those complaining about it probably do not have a child that plays on it, nor do they have a grand kid on that field. All they see is "Vidor to get turf" and start screaming "fix the schools". When the two schools are tied up with FEMA money, and we all know how that goes. 

I have no ties to Vidor football, but I love the program and what Coach Matthews is about.  But I'd say at this time Vidor may ot need turf, but the reason is I know you're waiting ON FEMA money. They'll  drag arse on that.  I know first hand. Plus, the brand of football that  the Irates run, they can wait a few more years on the turf and play the hard nose football on grass.  If the schools are in dire  need of fixing, I'd say go that route.. but get that turf at the very next opportunity.. Keep in mind this is my opinion ad only applies to Vidor's unique  situation...

5 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

The problem is, if you fix the schools with your own money then FIMA won't pay, correct?

That's what I'm thinking...  

That's why I said that.  But if there is a way you can guarantee both being done simultaneously,  then by all means, go that route..

1 hour ago, PlayActionPass said:

The problem is, if you fix the schools with your own money then FIMA won't pay, correct?

That is correct.

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

That's what I'm thinking...  

That's why I said that.  But if there is a way you can guarantee both being done simultaneously,  then by all means, go that route..

In a perfect world I am sure the could happen.  But we know it's not. In talking with a few teachers that I know personally, they'll tell you yes, it stinks to be in portables, but they also know it will break our district to pay for the two schools vs just waiting and letting FEMA foot the bill. Most of the parents of kids in those buildings are not complaining either, as they understand the process too. 

On 4/8/2019 at 10:57 AM, Fortheloveofthegame said:

That is correct.

In a perfect world I am sure the could happen.  But we know it's not. In talking with a few teachers that I know personally, they'll tell you yes, it stinks to be in portables, but they also know it will break our district to pay for the two schools vs just waiting and letting FEMA foot the bill. Most of the parents of kids in those buildings are not complaining either, as they understand the process too. 

FEMA is paying for 90% of the cost of the new schools. The other 10% falls on the district. But there are other issues not related to Harvey damage. PFE still has no gym and in portables. VJHS is in desperate need of new classrooms. You have several metal buildings on slabs that have been that way for 30 plus years. Those buildings aren’t meant to be used for that long period of time. Without the passage of a bond, these things have to be addressed some how. This surplus balance seems to be the only way. At this time, turf seems to be a luxury item. It’s just my opinion that these issues not related to Harvey and not having anything to do with FEMA funding need to be addressed. If not now, when?  

14 hours ago, Past Pirate said:

FEMA is paying for 90% of the cost of the new schools. The other 10% falls on the district. But there are other issues not related to Harvey damage. PFE still has no gym and in portables. VJHS is in desperate need of new classrooms. You have several metal buildings on slabs that have been that way for 30 plus years. Those buildings aren’t meant to be used for that long period of time. Without the passage of a bond, these things have to be addressed some how. This surplus balance seems to be the only way. At this time, turf seems to be a luxury item. It’s just my opinion that these issues not related to Harvey and not having anything to do with FEMA funding need to be addressed. If not now, when?  

While I agree with you, and I have two children in athletics currently attending Vidor schools, the bond has attempted to pass one time I am sure of, and possibly twice now? Both times, voted down.  At what point do the citizens finally pass the bond, that yes, we so badly need.  

2 hours ago, Fortheloveofthegame said:

While I agree with you, and I have two children in athletics currently attending Vidor schools, the bond has attempted to pass one time I am sure of, and possibly twice now? Both times, voted down.  At what point do the citizens finally pass the bond, that yes, we so badly need.  

I’ve supported bonds in the past. The last one failed in my opinion because it didn’t address needs at all the schools, just focused on a new high school. That’s a good question on what it will take to pass a bond. Am not against the turf, but I want to see the needs of each campus addressed. 

12 hours ago, Realville said:

I posted at the end of the season last year that Vidor would be getting Turf this year an a few of you said I didn’t know what I was taking about. Well....Boom!! here comes the Turf! I am not going to say I told you so but I TOLD YOU SO!!! 

Good for Vidor, glad to see a School Board with a long term vision.

2 hours ago, Realville said:

Good Luck! My Brother in Law and Sister in Law live in Nederland an I know they have been so aggravated over the years because of the failure to get a bond passed that addresses all the school districts needs. 

Please tell them to vote Yes on May 4th, or early vote starting April 22nd.  Thanks.